SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

naomirsa
Also remember that there are many different food chains that are linked to other food chains (sometimes by a single spesies)
E.g. an aquatic food chain is linked by fish eating birds to a terrestial chain. There is actually not a simple food chain.It might look simple though.....
It is all about the flow of energy in different directions :shock:
If you want more info PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The transfer of food and energy from the plant source (producers) through a series of organisms (consumers) with repeated eating and being eaten is referred to as a food chain.
When different food chains are interconected they form a food web.The seperate links in a food chain are referred to as trophic levels. Producers (plants) occupy the first trophic level
and the consumers the second, third, fourth etc. levels.As one move up in the tropic levels the biomass and energy will decrease drastically as energy is lost as heat through each level.
On average the next level only stores 10% of the energy of the previous level.

Example:
Grass - 1St trophic level Biomass=100% (producer)
Mouse- 2nd trophic level Biomass=10% (Primary consumer)
Puffadder- 3rd trophic level Biomass= 1% (Secondary consumer)
Honey Badger 4th trophic level Biomass=0.1% (Tertriary consumer) and so on...

Post subject: Migration
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:16 pm 

Migration
How about the animal migrations in Kruger. Does it happen like in the Serengeti ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It would appear so to a smaller scale, and not so accurately defined, but this is my theory, maybe others have facts.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Migration have been hampered by the border fences, but there are still migration between the open plains east of LS up towards the Satara area.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Question about decomposers in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:36 pm 

umm uhhh i didnt know where to put this so i put it here... sorry if its the wrong place. anywho...

i was looking for 2 decomposers in an african savannah biome and my main one is kruger national park so when i was looking up food chains and such, i found alot of animals, but at the end of the food chain its like.. a picture of fungi and labeled decomposer.

anyone happen to know any specific types of fungi or bacteria are there?

i was going to use termite as one of my two... because alot of places say theyre very important decomposers in the ecosystem, but some people say theyre scavengers so... i dunno.

any help would be greatly appreciated :D Thx!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Squackman...

Fungi and bacteria are mainly decomposers.
They are called -Saprophytes- which mean they feed by external digestion of dead organic material.
Fungi are generally classified into 3 divisions where the division of Zygomycota might be of interest to you as these are the decomposers. Rhizopus nigricans (Black- bread mould) is the best commonly known example of this division.

Saprophytically bacteria also plays a role as decomposers. They are almost solely responsible for soil fertility as they play important role of nitrifying / denitifying the soil during the Nitrogen cycle.
They also play an important role in the Carbon cycle- all this during the processes of decomposing dead organic material.

Other examples of decomposers in KNP are: Blowfly species, Flesh flies, Dung beetles, earth worms, Millipedes, Horn moths etc.

Hope it helps :roll: :wink:

Post subject: Lions versus Tiger question
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:01 pm 

From what you know who do you think has more stamina the lion or tiger. I've hear of lions hunting buffalo before and it lasting for over 3 hours, this was with one lion. I've got to study lions only from books and from videos and I'm amazed by them. I don't know if you have heard of the savuti pride but they were amazing hunters. I'm trailing of now I'm sorry. Ok and the next question who has more speed the lion or tiger, mostly I'm asking about males of the species. Lions live in open plains and have less cover than tigers, thats why i think they need the more speed because they have to chase down their prey for longer distances than tigers need to. Last question, who do you think would win a male lion or male tiger? Thank you if you answer my questions, I'm doing my senior project on lion vs tiger at my high school and these answers would surely help. Thank you very much, i look forward to your reply.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you look for speed, the female lion is actually faster than the male, and also able to sustain a longer chase due to the lower body weight.

I would assume the tiger is more stealthy and the lioness more fit, but this is an interesting approach. The male lions, well, i cannot really bet on them to be rither sprinters or endurance athletes, but where muscle power is needed without speed, eg. buffalo kill, not much alse can compare to them.

Lions being pride animals makes it difficult to judge single animals.

Post subject: Re: Lions versus Tiger question
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

naomirsa wrote:
Last question, who do you think would win a male lion or male tiger?

In the animal kingdom, weight, and power to weight ratio is king. The Tiger is bigger, and stronger than Lion, so my "guess" would be that the tiger would take it. As much as I hate to admit that....

Going to the Savuti pride, they are exceptional animals. They have been documented to take down a fully grown elephant on more than one occasion, but then again, they are an exceptionally big pride. I think they are currently sitting on +/- 40 animals.

Good luck with your project!!

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:51 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Tiger is stronger than a lion.
And has much more adaptable and cunning powers that a lion

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Naomi,
I hope this helps.

Tigers are solitary, like leopards and rely on stealth and strength to bring down prey.

Lions are gregarious and hunt in prides, and catch prey by ambush, surrounding and numbers.

Tigers are bigger than lions, although I have seen some monsters in Kgalagadi.

Good luck with your project.

Post subject: BIG FIVE QUESTION
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:02 pm 

Maybe this has been asked previously, if so, please direct me to the topic or forum; if not please read on:

I have been receiving various answers but none could be qualified as factual. :? :? :?

Could somebody please advise me on which species of Rhino is considered as part of the Big Five, the White Rhino (Ceratotherium simum) or the Black Rhino(Diceros bicornis) or anyone of the two???????

I also read with interest that the White Rhino got its name from the dutch word "weit" meaning wide, referring to the wide mouth used for grazing grass etc. (Wikipedia.com)

Would like to get some expert opinion on the big five question with possible references.

With thanks

ELU

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there ELU, and welcome to the forums!

Officially the Black Rhino (or hook-lipped rhinoceros) is the Big 5 member, and not the White Rhino (square-lipped rhinoceros). For an explanation of the how and why, click this link.

The name of the "white" rhino does indeed come from the Dutch word "weit" or "wijd", both pronounced the same, and meaning wide, referring to the broad mouth of the white rhino (a grazer), whereas the black rhino is a browser.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next