Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Same one as WTM's ...

And this one?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

the first dragonfly, the red one, is a Broad Scarlet; common and found throughout Africa in suitable habitats; pools with reeds, marshes and around bullrushes, is not found in forests.

the 2nd one is a little difficult, small pic, but it looks like a Black Percher: also a common species, but not found in SW Cape.Found at pools and rivers,marshes and non-permanent pans.

all courtesy of Sasol Field Guide to Dragonflies of Southern Africa 8) ...FYI:dragonflies have amazing names.

Post subject: Insects: Dragonflies
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:50 am 

Some dragonflies photographed at Lake Panic Birdhide

Common Tygertail (Ictinogomphus ferox)

Red-veined Dropwing (Trithemis arteriosa) [I think]

Violet Dropwing (Trithemis annulata)

My IDs were made from: Field Guide to insects of South Africa, 2004 Edition

Post subject: Dragonflies
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:11 pm 

I will be doing a loop around northern parts of South Africa, looking for dragonflies to photograph and enjoying nature. It will be in December 2006.

I will include a trip through Kruger, from north to south. Hope to see animals bigger than insects there :-)

Are there any picnic spots, camp or other places where I can get out of my car, and where I could find dragonflies ? This could be close to small waterholes etc.

Hope anyone has some thoughts on this. I have seen some photos of dragonflies taken near Satara camp, maybe that was from the small waterholes that should be located just outside the camp entrance.

cheers
Erland

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:19 pm 

Hej Erland,

Welcome to the forum. :D

You might get lucky at one of the birdhides:

Bird hides:
Bird hides, Gardenia, Nthandanyathi birdhide, Lake Panic, Sweni Bird Hide, Sable Dam & Bird Hide, Overnight Hides

I'm sure about Lake Panic.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Erland and welcome!!

One of the best places to observe and photograph dragonflies in KNP is at the many water crossing — places where a stream flows over the road. With the good rains currently in the lowveld, these watercrossings should be plentiful in December. These places are not marked specifically on maps as they depend on how much water is flowning in the streams, but they are found on many roads, so I think you'll have good opportunities to see and photography dragonflies. Enjoy your trip and do please return to tell us all about it in a trip report.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:29 pm 

Thank you for the welcome and fast replies.

gwendolen, I will have a look at the bird hide links. Already read a few things about Lake Panic, will study that place further.

What I suspected from weather forecasts the last weeks or so, is that the rain has started to come. I am glad to hear confirmation of that, as dragonflies and damselflies in the tropics are very dependent on the seasonal rain fall.

arks, I will look for water surely, but won't I be violating rules if I get out of my car at such water crossings ? I know some bridges has "get out of the car" spots, but probably not crossings. I can sit in car maybe, and tape a stick to the hood, and wait for some to come and land on the stick :-)

Erland

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:43 pm 

Erland wrote:
I can sit in car maybe, and tape a stick to the hood, and wait for some to come and land on the stick :-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, you are right. You are not allowed to get out of the car at water crossings.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:47 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You are allowed to get out of the car at certain bridges, however, those are all high bridges. That will not really suit you, unless you've got a lens not listed on your site. :wink:

So I think you should look more at the areas near the swimmingpools, and other open water in the camps. In Skukuza the gardens and walkway could prove to be a good place as well.

I certainly hope you find a few good places, if you get pics like on your site I would love to see them here!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:49 pm 

The Rhinowalk at Berg en Dal also gets very close to water.

Cool pix on your site, Erland. I see you collect dragonflies. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:59 pm 

Thank you for more suggestions.

Sure I will post some photos. I don't really collect dragonflies, and I know that you will need a permit from the region office of the country, to do so in all of South Africa. But photographing will do fine.

Most of my photographs are placed at a danish photo site:
http://www.fotokritik.dk/oversigt.html?bruger=1684
Here I've got hundreds of dragonfly photos. Never been to Africa though, so I look foreward to it like crazy. I will start by visiting a dragonfly expert in Modimolle, who will help me with local sites there.

I use 150 or 180 mm macro lenses for dragonflies, but often add a 1,4 teleconverter. For this trip, a friend of mine has offered me to loan his 400/5,6 mm. This lens will probably be a big help photographing birds, but also mamals from the distance.

Erland

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:11 pm 

Quote:
I don't really collect dragonflies

Ja, I meant photos. :lol:

Erland, you might want to have a look in this forum too: Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Erland , hi there .

You will need the 400 for use from the vehicle , the 180 with 1.4 converter will work from the vehicle also .

You are not going to get within macro distance from the car though , but most camps have a pool , or some have ponds , so keep the macro for here .

Skukuza has some ponds , and 2 swiming pools that will be good .
Satara has a bird area near the pool and shops , that has ponds , so that will be good .
Shingwedzi has some ponds near the shops .
I am sure lake panic , the boardwalk from the nursery (Near lake panic) , as well as the nursery itself will provide some oportunitys , I would budget on a good morning just at these 3 spots .
The day visitors area of skukuza has some small streams flowing through it , and is next to the sabie river , so this will be good also .
When you are done there , go over the low level bridge near the day visitors area .
The low level bridge out the back of shingwedzi camp will be good .

Most of the sand roads cross low level bridges , where the water flows over these bridges , and is normally around 10-20 cm deep here , with reeds on either side , as well as open water , so I have found these to be good to .
Sand roads I can think of of the top of my head with good spots are -
the road from gudzani dam to gudzani pan S41, along to sweni bird hide , and the bridge near there (Satara camp)
The road from letaba to olifants , along the river .
The talamati area can become quite flooded in places , with lots of pans next to the road .
Redrocks road , towards bateleur camp , there are 2 low level bridges crosing the shingwedzi river along this road .
S114 from berg en dal to skukuza has a couple of low crossings , including the biyamiti weir road .

Whatever you do , dont get out your car at any river crossing , there are crocodiles in all the rivers in kruger , you will make an easy lunch .
Not to mention hippos , leopards , snakes etc that are also hanging about the rivers :lol:

Try let us know what camps you are staying in , I would say shingwedzi , satara and skukuza/berg en dal are ideal for what you are after .

Happy hunting :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:11 pm 

In Nov. 2003 we saw some interesting reddish and blueish colored dragonflies on the railing of the high water bridge over the Olifants River where you can get out of your vehicle. They were not holding still long enough for me to get decent pics that day but maybe you will have better luck.

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett