SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there!!

We were in Pretoriuskop for two nights from the 4th to the 6th of may. This was our first camp, so at the time we were there we had no basis for comparison. We found the camp had an quiet eery atmosphere and at some times it almost felt as if we were the only camp dwellers. This was very positive and it made our stay somewhat special. We had a bungalow near the perimeter fence and enjoyed our first braai listening for the night sounds.
Can remember our first encounter with a male impala. Its mating call sounds like a roar followed by snorting. We thought there was something "dangerous" hiding in the bushes.

In the camp there are still lots of impala and a few baboons.
The grass was very long in the surrounding areas but made up by the beautiful scenery.
We saw elephant and giraffe just on the road outside the camp. Also jackals and more elephant, kudus, wildebeest around the Shabeni loop.
Didn't find the pin board either....
Wonderful secluded camp!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Does anyone have more information regarding this information board @ Pkop? I forgot to ask Van Rooi about it... :(

Image[/url]

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I still have a little brochure (25 pages) on the Sable Trail in Pretoriuskop. I bought it for R5 (quite a few years ago) but cannot remember where - surely not in Pretoriuskop. The full title is: Pretoriuskop - The Sable Trail (sponsored by Mazda). It was printed for the first time in 1993. I never walked the trail in the camp (don't know if it still exists), but the brochure gives detailed info on various trees which you pass on the trail, a short history of the camp, the Royal Huts and a few mammal species found commonly in the area. On the last page is also a check list of animals found in the Pretoriuskop area. The brochure was written and compiled by the Honorary Rangers of the Lowveld region and acknowledgement is also given to other contributors. One of the contributors was Mrs Irene Grobler - also interestingly called "Mrs Skukuza".

Post subject: Advice needed : Pretoriuskop Area
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:08 pm 

Hi Forumites - Im on business in Hazyview next week and have booked in for a quick one-nighter in Pretoriuskop. I have never stayed in Pretoriuskop before, so I have 2 questions :
What are the recommend roads to travel around Pretoriuskop ? Have there been some good sightings lately ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you do business on the first day , then book yourself a nightdrive .
It beats sitting at camp alone .

The first afternoon , a drive up to shislave dam normally rewards with some rhinos ,
napi loop and the other small loops about the camp are good also .

Then if you arent working the following day , head along ship montain road towards afsaal , then along any of those roads and out at malelane .
Jock waterhole normaly atracts a fair bit of game this time of the year .

Post subject: Bungalows and service
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:15 pm 

bert wrote:
Might book a bungalow for 4 persons.
But cant remember from last year or find any evidence on the website of a veranda (stoep).
Does anyone know :?:

The Huts have no stoep, but I do believe the Bungalows has a small stoep simular to all the bungelows in the park, also parking next to the door.

With respect to the service issue, over the last year I were there twice and up to now service was realy good. Going there again in April 2007.

Most of the game spotted is on old voortrekker road to Afsaal and looping tar road back to camp.

On my last visit encountered Sable every day, mainly on Old Voortrekker road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

This is one of the 4 bed cottages on the perimeter, No 114:
Nice position :)
ImageImage

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Pkop area again did not hide its magic from us!

Leopard with tiny little cub on the Shabeni loop. Awesome birds in the camp. Hopefully bucky can post some of the pics here.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:53 am 

Maybe it is because it is because it is the camp I've visited first.
Maybe it is the lower occurance of malaria & the great pool that give the children the oppertunity to swim till late.
Maybe it is because it is giving almost as peaceful an atmosphere than the North.
Maybe it is because I've seen wilddog, leopard, side striped jackal, sable and serval all within a few days close to camp.
Maybe it is a combination of all above together with good service that makes me return to Pretoriuskop frequently.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marietjie I can also become very nostalgic about Pretoriuskop. I'm lacking poetic skills, but sometimes I get the urge to sing the praises of this wonderful historical camp. Personally it is one of the camps (or rather areas) that has not proven to be a particularly "lucky" area for me (although I have seen some beautiful things in the area), but it is a place which triggers my "homesick-button" every time I think of it.

Pretoriuskop has always been known as "the friendly camp". There is a certain quietness and calmness which I only find in Pretoriuskop.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I couldn't agree more stoffel!
It was our first camp and it will always remain special...
Very quiet camp with a special aura. It's almost as if time stops there...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:10 pm 

Hi

Quote:
The stands next to the fence are only lightly shaded and a bit far from the power points (no as far as at Punda Maria ). As the school holidays are over in Feb I would suggest that you stand in the second row. Nice shade trees, close to power and water. One word of caution: the soil is HARD, although is looks like sand.
Wind should not worry you to much, with the exception: during the build up to a nice thunder storm .
Ablutions are clean, with enough hot water. Just remember this is one of the older camps with its own caracter.
Remember that it will be hot during Feb and I mean really HOT .
Hope you enjoy your first time

That's cool I have stayed in their huts before. and the old feel is cool. my dad appreciated it (RIP). Power is no concern, i have a 50m extension cord HA ha ha HEE ha. (Thanks dad!) The soil part I'll deal with when i get there. If the spring hooks go in yeah if not no need for rally tent.
And the heat... Sit and bird watch in the pool!!

Luv

Dynamite does come in small packages!
Missing the Kruger...

December can't come fast enough!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Peter Betts wrote:
That ground is seriously hard so dont use one of those mallets... take a serious stell mallet...you wont be sorry

Or if it is like the ground at Okakuejo in another country's national park, take a pneumatic drill!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next