Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kgalagadi Tented Camp ( wilderness )
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:49 pm 

Whats the expected etiquette at this tented wilderness camp. I have been to many "normal" parks, Nossob, Etosha etc and have always almost whispered when talking at night as it seems wrong to spoil the quietness and darkness with noise and lights on...is this how I should expect to find KTC too ?

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi Tented Camp ( wilderness )
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well you can only hope :D I have to be honest and say Im totally disillusioned by the behaviour of some people who have visited the wilderness camps while we have been unfortunate enough to be there ... and this last time at KTC was no exception unfortunately ... a group of friends who had booked 3 chalets spent the entire 2 nights we were there "kuiering" between the chalets and because you may not walk around at night, they spent it driving up and down and up and down between the chalets ... love hearing cars starting and stopping and car doors slamming every 10 minutes !

Our only Urikaruus visit so far was a disaster with a charming couple who befriended the guy next to us and invited him over to their place on the other side of us and spent from lunchtime when we arrived drinking and talking non-stop .. and I mean NON STOP at the TOP of his voice till 10 that night .. when the camp attendant asked them to please be a bit quieter he was told " I paid my money and I'm allowed to do whatever I want to " ... nice manners Meneer ...

At Kielie Krankie we unfortunately had the experience of being next to the attendants chalet when the neighbours wanted to watch the SA/New Zealand test there - awesome to hear the national anthem and the ref's commentary plus the screaming and shouting and the roar of happy rugby fans and women skrieking their heads off drowning out the sound of the barking geckos and scaring away every living thing from the waterhole ...

So Im sorry to be a wet blanket and its probably not waht you wanted to hear but as one who goes to the wilderness camps precisely because its expected of you to talk in whispers and be more respectful of your neighbours who might want to enjoy the peace and quiet of a small camp, I really hope you get decent neighbours and not the disrespectful Troglodytes we were blessed with ... I think we have just been REALLY unlucky :?

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I haven't had as many bad experiences in KTP wilderness camps as Scouter -- and Scouter, you really have my sympathy! -- but my first time at Grootkolk was a nightmare, with the other 3 tents being occupied by a group of families with 5 or 6 children under the age of 6. These kiddies were running around this unfenced camp and making noise as only toddlers can, and their parents attintude to me -- who had travelled all the way from the USA for this special wilderness experience -- was that they were the majority, kids would be kids, and it was my touch luck. I believe that it's experiences such as mine at Grootkolk that resulted in the ruling that no children under the age of 12 are now allowed at wilderness camps.

But you DO still get the occassional group intent on having a jol, their concept of the privacy of the wilderness camp being that it gives them the "priviledge" to do what they wish, regardless of whom else they disturb -- and since I'm a foreigner, alone and female, I matter for naught. I've been told more than once (in various situations in various SANParks) "How dare YOU (implied foreign (and female) visitor) tell ME what to do in MY park!" :wall: Thank you Meneer, indeed.

I've also heard tales of visitors arriving in one of these (very expensive) small camps only to discover that there is ongoing construction work. This has happened to me twice at Punda Maria in KNP, but not personally in KTP, tho I've heard tales about such experiences at Grootkolk from several people. While I can understand that rennovations are inevitably necessary, I think that SANParks ought to at least both warn visitors and offer the options of either a reduced rate or being able to change camps (and I've submitted such suggestions to SANParks, but have never had so much as the courtesy of a reply :wall: ). (Of course, in KTP changing camp might be impossible, since the park is so often fully booked.) Many visitors spend most/all day in camp at the KTP wilderness camps, and ongoing constuction makes this impossible and destroys the special ambience that is the reason most choose these camps.

So truth is, you takes your chances ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi channon,

I wish all visitors are like you, but unfortunately as Scouter mentioned you can hear the conversion of others more clearly than your own child or SO in you tent.

Our first visits to wilderness camps were great with only the noise of hyeanas, but during our last visit in 2010 we had to listen to two families visiting each other and kids playing games plus cars driving up and down. It was cold and they were inside, but with tents you really need to be quiet and think of your neighbours.

I had some good experience at Urikaruus, but there we booked two units and only used the one getting away from the rest. Kieliekrankie is also a good option, but at Bitterpan and KTC you are too close to your neighbours.

At Bitterpan you share the kitchen and braai with the rest and if alone need to be on the far side. Its not always easy to get what you asked for.

My next camp will be Gharagab (booked 2 units) and so far only one more couple. If you can be in the majority or it rains you will have lots of peace and quiet time.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow.....Scouter.....you have had some bad luck!

I think the thing is, KTC is the only wilderness camp that allows children, so it may always be a bit more "noisy". Also being a bigger wilderness camp, more people, possibility of more noise.

That said, the problems with noise that we have had at wilderness camps has been due to adults acting like children, not from children themselves!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:15 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Son Godin sorry to spoil your anticipation for your first trip to Gharagab, but that was the only place we had very noisy neighbours!!

We arrived late Sunday morning (now many years ago!!) and two of the chalets were booked buy a group of German guys and number two was an elderly Afrikaans couple. The 4 guys were have one hell of a party and shouting and singing. Next moment the "oom" flew out of his tent and shouted "bly Stil!!!" (please quiet down!!) Never thought they would understand Afrikaans, but all went dead quiet and stayed that way for the rest of our stay.

The only other thing that got to me was our last trip to Mata Mata last month. Oh my goodness it's amazing how many times one can use "oh my goodness, it's amazing" in one conversation!! We usually sit in the darkness on the stoep and listen to the night sounds, but the next door neighbours and their friends about 12 of them, braaied each evening at their chalet and this kept on for the whole of the evening!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have been visiting Kgalagadi 1 to 2 times a year for the last few years and have always had likeminded considerate neighbours (touch wood) in all wilderness camps

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:44 pm 

We were at the KTC for three nights in November.. tent number 10 to be exact and a good spot it is too, next to us was a Golf Holiday company that had three tents and I think block book for the season as they had their own radio link set ups in the No 9 tent, I could tell you every word they said but I won't, they were outside banging about from 05.00 with minivans and all congregating at No9 with John barking the orders. Evenings were terrible with the party starting about 17.30 and going on until 22.30 every night, I could tell you Johns jokes, what they ate, every member of the guest list, in fact everything they did was broadcast across the camp..along with all the lights brightly on of course.
The guy running the site wasn't interested in our complaint but then he seemed to know this company and the extremely very loud John quite well, so we had to grin and bear it but I have to say it really spoilt the whole three days there.
It was like a holiday from hell in Benidorm!!....18-30s you might think..No it was 60 -80 year old mainly women golfy types with very haughty southern home counties English accents who all wanted to be heard above each other but who all had no manners and should of know better, we felt most embaressed to be English....I'd be interested to know if others have had the same problems.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am 

We were there for 2 nights also in Nov and stayed in tent number 1 - the Honeymoon tent and must say it was very quiet.

I always wonder why big groups would go to a game reserve where it is so serene to party?????? One would have thought Sun City would be the perfect venue for them.

On our trip we stayed at 4 different wilderness camps and no issues. In fact people always whispered and even the use of the lights was minimal. We only used the lights when cooking etc otherwise we tend to just use candles. Otherwise why bother goi g to a wilderness camp.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:13 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi channon,

I think we saw the same group in October during our stay at Mata Mata. Two "kombi's"???

The day we left they had the misfortune of getting stuck in the road.

Unfortunately sounds do travel far in a place like Kgalagadi and people don't always realize that other people can hear their conversations. :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:01 pm 

Yes that was them, "Karma" me thinks

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:35 pm 

"Bly Stil" !!! I have written that down in my note book for next year so I can tell them to "please be quiet" in more than one language, I can speak some French and Italian so just have to learn the German for it! :shock:
I do hope we meet like minded and quiet people after all the effort we have made to get our dream trip.

September 2014
Kieliekrankie 2 nights
Urikaruus 3 nights
Kalahari Tented Camp 2 nights
Grootkolk and Gharagab 4 nights
Bitterpan 1 night
Keiliekrankie 1 night
Augrabies 2 nights

and this is after 11 nights in Kruger :dance: Can't wait

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:30 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Enjoy every moment.............. :thumbs_up: