SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Birdlife SA Training in Pretoria Area
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Guru
Guru

Flight for Birders course to the north of Pretoria
As an organisation Birdlife SA is a long time friend on SANParks and the have collarberated with us on many issues. They have in particular run a series of bird training courses for SANParks staff and the interested public alike within our parks. They are now extending this to training in the Pretoria and north of Pretoria area to train intested parties in that area. Some of the provincial parks in the area are taking part, and the invitation has been extended to SANParks head office and the local regions of the Honorary Rangers. But if you are an interested member of the public and would like to take up this opportunity for quality training and course work material please read below and follow the contact links:

Birdlife SA now confirm that they will be presenting this course at the Petronella NG Church Hall on 10 and 11 October 2013.

FLIGHT FOR BIRDERS
A bird identification course for novice and intermediate bird-watchers:
NG Church Hall, Petronella
10 and 11 October 2013
The “Flight for Birders” bird identification and conservation course by Anton Odendal will be presented at the Petronella NG Church Hall on 10 and 11 October 2013. The costs include the course manual and a certificate endorsed by BirdLife South Africa – roughly 1,600 slides and drawings will be used. The contents of the course get updated regularly and this has now been done – in many cases images of similar and potentially confusing species have been combined on the same slide in order to illustrate differences. The development of an infrastructure for birding tourists in local areas will also be highlighted. In the vast majority of the slides English and Afrikaans names of species are printed onto the slide. The course focuses on basic steps in the identification of birds, places heavy emphasis on where to find the rare and often endemic birds in southern Africa and illustrates how ordinary bird-watchers could become involved in the conservation of birds and their habitats.

PROGRAM SCHEDULE
WHAT PARTICIPANTS SHOULD BRING ALONG:
• One of the bird guide books (Newman's, SASOL or Robert's), preferably one that you are prepared to make notes in to illustrate key identification features of species
• Notebook and pen
• Binoculars
• Comfortable walking shoes
• Hat and sunscreen
• Lunch pack
• Coffee and tea will be provided.
DAY 1: Thursday 10 October 2013
(Kindly note that short breaks will be taken on the hour).
07h30 to 08h00: Registration
08h00 to 09h00: The basic approach to Flight for Birders and what to look for when trying to identify a bird
09h00 to 10h00: The identification of garden birds
10h00 to 10h15: Tea
10h15 to 11h00: The identification of garden birds (Continued)
11h00 to 12h30: An introduction to the identification of some difficult groups: Little Brown Jobs and others
12h30 to 13h00: Lunch
13h00 to 13h30: A special section on some of the brood parasites of southern Africa and their host species: Cuckoos, whydahs, honeyguides and indigobirds.
13h30 to 14h30: How to prepare when visiting a new birding area: Focus on the top birding destinations in the Western Cape Province
14h30 to 15h30: An overview of some threatened birds in Southern Africa: what are conservation agencies trying to do about the problem through conservation programmes and how can ordinary birders help? We give participants six projects to choose from, of which three will be discussed and illustrated.

DAY 2: Friday 11 October 2013
07h00 to 08h00: Practical outing in small groups applying the principles taught.
08h00 to 10h00: The identification of raptors and birds of prey
10h00 to 10h15: Tea
10h15 to 10h45: A special focus on the Owls of southern Africa
10h45 to 12h30: The identification of the fairly common water birds of southern Africa
12h30 to 13h00: Lunch
13h00 to 14h30: Focus on birding tourism: An in-depth case-study of birds and birding in the Kruger National Park
14h30 to 15h00: The 101 species in southern Africa that every avid birder needs to be able to identify – how to distinguish between the various families of birds. (An open-ended participatory discussion on photographs of the most common birds representing different families of birds).
15h00+: Presentation of certificates.

DETAILS IN BRIEF:
DATES: 10 and 11 October 2013
VENUE: NG Church Hall, Petronella (Directions will be forwarded to participants)
COSTS: R 450-00, that include the course manual and certificate.
TO REGISTER AND SECURE YOUR PLACE:
Contact Elaine at mwjasser@mweb.co.za or 082 455 8402. All further queries could also be forwarded to Elaine.
(Document also available in Afrikaans).

Aspects of the course content for this course have been tailored to accommodate issues specifically related to the bushveld region to the east, north and west of Pretoria.

Birdlife SA have done more than 70 of these courses in six provinces and have trained many SANParks employees. Courses have been presented in the Agulhas and West Coast National Parks and next week we'll be training several staffers from the Garden Route NP at Plett. In February we presented the course to 40 employees of the Table Mountain NP and we have just started negotiating about a further course of this nature. The course stands on three basic legs: bird identification, becoming involved in the conservation of birds and their habitats and getting to understand the growing importance of avitourism.
Roughly 60% of people who attend these courses are staff members or owners from lodges, B&B's and private nature reserves, as well as agencies such as provincial conservation boards and SANParks, with whom we are registered as a service provider (training). (Anton Odendal - O00181). Staff members of local and regional tourism offices also regularly attend. This is being done to gain a better understanding of the growing importance of birding tourism and to service their clients better.

A review of the course by a previous participant can be found at the following link:
http://www.westerncapebirding.co.za/con ... %22_review

Post subject: Re: Birdlife SA Training in Pretoria Area
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This looks like a great opportunity. Please let us know about future planned courses as I for one would really like to attend a course in future.
I am wondering if they present one in Durban? Unfortunately our nearest Sanparks resort is at Golden Gate!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:56 am 
Guru
Guru

I will let Dr Odendal and Birdlife SA know. I'm sure there will be plans for such training in KZN.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
@R450,00 it is a bargain.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:47 pm 

I believe this is going to be value for the money. :clap:
I also think that it will help to sort out some of those LBJ's I keep running into. :redface:
Tnx to Birdlife SA :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:26 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We would have loved to attend this course, but unfortunately it falls right during the time we will be in Kruger! Will there be any future courses in and around Pretoria in future? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:48 am 

@hilda. It seems that they were struggling to get a meaningfull group together for this course.
But the course will proceed as advertised, regardless totals.
Check with Elaine mwjasser@mweb.co.za regarding future courses.
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:30 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you Johanclassen! I will definitely find out about future courses! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:49 pm 

Whenever this presentation takes place again, I can assure you it will be worth your while.
Dr Odendal is a marvelous orator and together with his slides it becomes a learning experience
second to none. " @ Hilda, I think you did contact him"

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:45 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
johanclassen wrote:
@ Hilda, I think you did contact him"

I have johanclassen! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:47 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Dear Birders in and around Pretoria,

I received this e-mail (in italics below) from Dr Anton Odendal. Should you be interested in attending a course during April/May 2014, kindly let me know as soon as possible, so that arrangements could be made, like the booking of a church hall, etc. The course cost R450,00 during October this year, and I have asked Dr Odendal if it stays the same for 2014. Will let you know as soon as I have heard from him.

We are currently planning our movements and programmes for 2014. We have received very good reaction after the course that we presented at Petronella in October and have several interested people on a 'waiting list'. It would clearly not be viable to do a single course in Gauteng and we are currently talking to a variety of people to the east, south and west of Pretoria. Maybe it would make sense to create a kind of 'road show' and present three or four courses over a period of two weeks or so?
We usually present the course for between 40 and 50 people and are not comfortable with more than 60 as I then battle to give attention to everyone and the questions become overwhelming. As far as venues go: we offer tea and coffee throughout the two days and therefore need a kitchen and urn. Participants need to be seated at tables in order to work out of books. Everywhere we go we find that church halls work best during week days as these are normally very well equipped and the rental goes to a good cause.
The course had yet again gone through major changes: I developed region specific text and PowerPoints for the Pretoria course on sections such as confusing species such as LBJ's, birds of prey, etc. I am now completing the Western Cape section of the course in the same way for a course that we will be presenting in Cape Town next weekend. I attach the programme for the course presented at Petronella.
It would be appreciated if you could react to this so that we can decide whether we should put in the effort and energy in trying to put together such a course for your area during 2014. At this stage we are looking at a period roughly around end April and early May as we already have 5 course confirmed from end January to early March. Our club's annual charity golf day to raise funds for the Black Harrier is later on in March. This decision would be important as we are currently putting together 'road shows' (three or four courses at a time) for each of the Eastern and Northern Cape, KZN, Gauteng and Limpopo Provinces for next year.
Your feedback on this will be appreciated.

With appreciation and kind regards.

Anton

Dr. Anton Odendal
Manager: http://www.westerncapebirding.co.za
PO Box 256
Onrusrivier 7201
Tel & Fax: + 27 28 3161105
Mobile: +27 82 550 3347
E-mail: birding@overberg.co.za
http://www.westerncapebirding.co.za

Kind Regards,

Hilda.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
hilda wrote:
The course cost R450,00 during October this year, and I have asked Dr Odendal if it stays the same for 2014. Will let you know as soon as I have heard from him.

I received an answer from Dr Odendal yesterday. The cost of the course for 2014 will be R500,00.

Kindly let me know if you are interested in attending. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:23 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Dear Birders in and around Pretoria/Johannesburg and other close areas,

With reference to my post of Sunday, 10 November 2013, I have to inform you that I had no response up to now. Is nobody interested in Birdlife Training? :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:38 pm 

Hi Hilda! I am definately interestedbut due to me getting married this year I have NO leave to spare. So....what is the chance that this course will be over the public holiday periods in April? ;-)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:25 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Dear all,

Please take note that the training session in Birdlife SA in the Pretoria area will no longer take place, since it is very difficult for 'mites who are working full time to take time off from work to attend such a session for two days. :thumbs_up:

@ gjorgi: We'll try and arrange some shorter training sessions presented by our own bird experts during the year. :gflower: