Skip to Content

Lens needed for Nikon D5200

Share and discuss your images (strictly SANparks related)
t-bal
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lens needed for Nikon D5200

Unread postby t-bal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello mites

I have another dilemma so once again I must ask for your guidance, this time it’s a more technical issue.

I have just purchased a Nikon D5200. The main reasons for this buy are: the much higher megapixels and the better images when the light is fading. I want to buy a lens which will provide me with the quality images I am looking for. I am looking at buying a lens which extends to 300mm. (budget prevails me to go for a larger lens) I have also been looking at superzoom lenses but the nikkor ones are just too expensive for me. I have narrowed the list down to 2. I would like to hear which one you think is the best for capturing the wild life and which one has the most value for the money. I am looking at the following lenses.

- Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF – ED
- Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G Ed VR

Looking forward of reading your advice.

Regards
TR: " The return of the Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Chickadee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lens needed for Nikon D5200

Unread postby Chickadee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Hey,

I am a somewhat familiar with this issue because my brother-in-law was asking the same question recently.

First off, both those lenses will work with the 5200 - you have to be careful because the camera itself does not have a motor to drive the lenses so you need a lens type that supports auto-focus with AF-S or AF-I lenses only.

I personally own the 70-300 Nikon lens you are asking about and use it a lot. When I only want to carry one lens, this is it because of its versatility. It is more expensive and larger and heavier than the 55-300.

I can't speak to the 55-300 other than that it is less expensive, shorter, and lighter.

I'm sure you cannot go wrong with either lens and I hope to see some pictures in a trip report soon!!

t-bal
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby t-bal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

Hi Chickadee and thank you for your response,

I have thought long and hard about this issue but I’m still unable to make up my mind :? . I can’t work out what would be more sensible: Buy the nikkor 70-300 mm or buy the nikkor 55-300 and 18-105 for about the same price.. Hope I will work it out soon :pray:

I sadly can’t promise those pictures any time soon, but there will be another TR from me.

Thanks again for the reply

Regards.

JDW

Unread postby JDW » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:15 pm

t-bal
Whilst Nikon lenses are excellence they are also expensive.
Consider the Sigma 150-500mm lens, I have seen some wonderful images.
It struggles over 400mm to focus quickly but below that it really is a very good lens.
You can purchase a smaller lens to cover up to 150mm.
Hope this helps
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

t-bal
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby t-bal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi JDW

First of all thanks for the reply. My father has the sigma 150-500mm lens which I used last year in the KNP, it is indeed a great lens. I can use this lens as well but I am looking for my own lens which will provide me with higher quality pics. For the long distance pics this lens will be on my camera :D .

Regards Tim

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Tim, if you can, get the 70-300 VR Nikon Lens. It is by far the bast budget zoom available, and while still a "consumer" lens, does an excellent job of producing great images. anything better is likely to be substantially more expensive. The optics on the 55-300 are of similar quality (much under-rated), but the focusing of this lens is just that much slower than the 70-300. Anything else in the Nikon lens lineup for wildlife is at least double the price of the 70-300.

The only alternate is to look for a faster lens in the 2nd hand market.....
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

t-bal
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby t-bal » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:24 am

Hi Scottm
Thanks for your reply :D . I’m still a bit off a novice in the photograph department so I am edging towards the 70-300 vr (as you said). Anything more expensive would be a struggle considering I’m a student. :roll:

JDW

Unread postby JDW » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:34 am

t-bal
The 70-300mm lens will serve you well.
It will struggle to focus quickly if you use a converter with it.
Its sweet point is at about 250mm.
It is a good start for your photographic equipment which you can add to as you become more affluent.
Enjoy your youth
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

t-bal
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby t-bal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 am

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I am now the owner of a Nikon 70-300 lens :D . Just came back from the store and had a very quick test. So far so good! :D :D :D Thanks again for your reply’s. :thumbs_up:

Regards t-bal

Return to “SANParks Camera Club”