Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Golden Gate :advice on where to stay

Unread postby granjan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Having stayed 3 nights at the Highlands Mountain Retreat earlier this month, we were just bowled over by the cabin, the views and the peace. Thanks JenB and DuQues for advising us. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

The light is wonderful, rain or shine and we could have sat there all day just watching the changing view.[We did spend a good few hours doing just that]
I wish my camera skills could do it justice but these were my best efforts.

004 by jansp, on Flickr

047 by jansp, on Flickr

124 by jansp, on Flickr

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Golden Gate - First time visit

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am

Hi W1twOlf

Golden Gate is a beautiful Park, the scenery is just amazing in particular during autumn. Our list of things to do and see include:

1) Looking for the Oribi’s – they can sometimes be seen from the Glen Reenen camp.
2) Driving the two game/scenic drives that are available from the Glen Reenen rest camp.
3) Doing the walks that is available – information and maps are available at the reception office in Glen Reenen camp.
4) Visiting the nearby town of Clarens
5) Visiting the van Rheenen family grave yard.
6) The Brandwag Buttress is lit at night and visible from some of the accommodation in Glen Reenen camp - very impressive.
7) Looking for the Black Wildebeest.
8) Having breakfast, lunch or dinner at least once at the Golden Gate Hotel.

Those are just some of the things to do – Enjoy your visit.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Guinea Pig

Re: Golden Gate - First time visit

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Visit the Vulture Restaurant where a hide is now open. 8) We've been extremely lucky in seeing Bearded Vultures (Lammergeiers) from here more often than not.

Driving back to the main road, keep an eye out for the jackal den on your right. She (he) often feeds on the carcasses.

Visit the Basotho Cultural Village. Locals sell their homemade articles there and there are tours taking you back to what things were like a very long time ago.

Definitely visit Clarens. A short piece of advice - look for the Artists' Cafe on your left just before you go around the Village Green.

Have lunch or drinks in the restaurant at the Brandwag Hotel. 8) Hotel is mighty impressive and we've always
found the food good and well-priced.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

Peterkb

How are Rondavels equipped?

Unread postby Peterkb » Sat May 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi, Haven't been to Golden Gate for a while and am wondering about how well the rondavels are equipped. What is in the kitchen?
Unfortunately most KNP rondavels rarely have what they are supposed to have or are equipped to a bare minimum, and am wondering if Golden Gate has suffered the same fate,.
You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.
If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Peter

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Re: How are Rondavels equipped?

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 am

Hi PeterKb. We have found the Golden Gate rondavels to be equipped with basic utensils, cutlery and crockery similar to those in Kruger. We usually take some things extra such as a sharp knife and a can opener.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 pm

I always take my own braai tongs - anywhere.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Mon May 27, 2013 12:32 pm

We always take a sharp knife for cooking, and steak knives if we are eating any meat (which we always are!!)
Like BB we always take our own braai tongs, and we also take our own coffee plunger, a plastic jug and a few plastic bowls for mixing salads etc. Otherwise there is usually enough stuff provided. :thumbs_up:

cdempers

Road access to Golden Gate mountain retreat

Unread postby cdempers » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Planning my first visit to GG mountain retreat and want to know if it is reachable without 4x4?

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Road access to Golden Gate mountain retreat

Unread postby Dotty » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi :D cdempers
A very warm forum welcome Maybe a recent Travel Tale could help finks from here Certainly will help heighten your anticipation :dance: Have a wonderful time
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

Imberbe

Unread postby Imberbe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 am

Yes it is.

The road is steep in spots. It is a two spoor cement track which is easily navigable.

Enjoy, it is a beautiful place.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

JenB
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread postby JenB » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:38 am

cdempers,

You've chosen the camp with the best setting! GG Mountain Retreat is just beautiful. :)
Some pics to whet your appetite.

The way up.

A bit closer to the top.

The view. :D

The chalets are finished in a lovely log cabin fashion.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

cdempers

Unread postby cdempers » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm

thank you all for the responses. I am now even more looking foreward.

Joel

Re: Golden Gate Highlands - management

Unread postby Joel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:51 pm

I just came back Golden Gate (stayed for the weekend in Clarens).
The grasslands were beautiful but I wanted to draw attention to park management about the following points:

1- Holkrans walk: I was disappointed with the litter (beer bottles, bricks, scrap metal and signs lying on the ground - uncovered by recent fire burn) and the white poplar seedlings / flowering black wattles up the first stream / kloof on the left. These invasive could cost a lot more to eradicate at a later stage: should be a priority now.
2- A couple a car carcasses are visible in the bush nearby the first farm homestead towards the QWA QWA section - any plan to remove them (alongside the litter) ?
3- I counted about 150 sheeps + 100 cattle + 40 donkeys in the eastern valley - do these belong to land claimants or residents ? is this park policy?
4- the management at the Basotho village is terrible - restaurant closed until further notice, shaded car parkings at the closest to entrance for employees (?!?). Something should be done to be more tourist-friendly, otherwise I fear this is going to become a missed opportunity...
5- Visual impacts / sense of place: several parks overseas have buried their electric powerlines. is this something contemplated for Golden gate? It could create temporary jobs and significantly improve the skyline of many areas of the park.

Many thanks

Joel

Re: Golden Gate Highlands - management

Unread postby Joel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:00 pm

I forgot to ask a question.

1- The GGHNP management plan states "Grazing management both past and present has adversely affected both fauna and flora in the wetland ecosystem." What are the impacts of the herd of 15 -20 horses grazing the river beds and wetlands near the west entrance to the park?
2- What have been the results of all the plans drawn up a few years ago (ecological integrity, fire management, alien species control, etc.)?

Thanks

mcmurdo

Re: Golden Gate: ADVICE

Unread postby mcmurdo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 am

Dear Fynbos,

we have been recently to Golden Gate park and thus recommend to stay on the N3 as long as possible (ie untill Harrismith) if you are driving in the dark and/or with a smaller car (as in no 4x4 for instance). This means you will pay R50 more for another toll road stretch on the highway, but you avoid the R26, which is not too bad, but still has in certain areas many potholes (not fun at night or in a small car).

The road in Golden Gate park is totally fine and can be driven on day and night! Enjoy your trip!

Return to “Northern Parks”