Skip to Content

Camping in Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Caravan camping sites in Lower Sabie

Unread postby GlenD » Wed May 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Try and get there around 9 or 10am, by then most who are leaving that day would have packed and left, giving you a bit more of an option.
Enjoy, the night sounds are awesome.
Berg-en-Dal 28/12/2015 to 29/12/2015
Lower Sabie 29/12/2015 to 03/01/2016

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RobertT » Thu May 30, 2013 4:17 pm

I have always checked in early for camping without any issues. :thumbs_up: If they gave me issues I would park trailer on site and check in later.

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi Stark
While check in time is officially 14H00, when camping they generally allow you to check in anytime because there is not much in the way of cleaning to be done unlike a unit which needs to be cleaned/beds made etc. The reason I mentioned 9 - 10am is because one has until 10am to vacate a campsite on the day of departure but generally most leave a lot earlier.
Berg-en-Dal 28/12/2015 to 29/12/2015
Lower Sabie 29/12/2015 to 03/01/2016

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm

With camping (not at Tsendze) it is first come, first serve basis on selection of camp sites and this allows too for easy early occupation of a site as opposed to bungalows etc. Once a site is vacated by a guest, it is ready for the next person. We have had folk wait for us to do the last of our pack up so they could take our site.

On the trip we have just completed, we moved 9 times between camps, and there was never a problem with the time we booked in. (in fact, never experienced a problem before either, nor in any SANPark) I did notice some campers leave late in the day - but very few, most leave very early, and I am sure most do this to try and get a good site at the next camp. While we were on this recent trip, the park was pretty fully booked. Even arriving fairly 'late' in the day at Satara, with the camp fully booked, we managed to find ourselves a really nice site. However, sites next to the fences in any camp are always the most sought after, and these are snapped up early in the day.

We also noticed people arriving from the park gates really early to set up camp - also to secure a good site I would imagine.
Sawubona
Dalene

Imvubu
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Number of days in one Camping site

Unread postby Imvubu » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Chungu, we have been camping for 13 years in a tent and trailer tent. We find 3 nights to be fine but then again we have refined our equipment and technique :wink: Not too sure how much stuff you have so it depends on that too. Enjoy!
Awaiting the next trip...

Skukuza - 29/08/15
Balule - 30/08 - 02/09/15
Shingwedzi - 02 - 05/09/15
Maroela - 05 - 08/09/15
Talamati - 08 - 10/09/15
Biyamiti - 10 - 12/09/15

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:05 pm

3 nights sounds fine to me.. Just have some sort of plan and everyone must have something they do .everything must have a place ( the sameone) when packing We did KNP plus other parks over a two month period and If you get into the routine its easy peasy .It was just the two of us and we are Old folk ( one thing is No toilet break until everything is unpacked !!!Its amazing how fast you move then )
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:23 pm

As the others say, it all depends on how much you drag around with you. We have various degrees of setting up camp. Minimum for one or two or three nights, and max for four or more. We only set up the awning on the van for eg, if we stay four nights or longer.

Even if you stay for a long time in a camp, keep what you take with to a minimum - I speak from experience! :lol:
Sawubona
Dalene

marindadrake

Unread postby marindadrake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:29 pm

We camp every six weeks for at least 5 nights in Kruger, and 2 weeks end November - beginning December. We only go to one camp each time, which make unpacking and packing up easier. We camp in a caravan - sometimes with the full tent and sometimes with the awning and a side. Depends on the weather and time of the year, and how private the site is we stay at. We take 2 hours to unpack and to pack up again. We don't camp - we glamp! That is with the sattelite dish, tv, freezer, ice maker, everything to make life comfortable.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 am

chungu,3 days camping in one camp then moving to another camp sounds o.k to me BUT it depends on how organized you are and also depends on how much "stuff" you have and also how many people are helping. We are a family of 3,we each have a job when arriving at a campsite, mine involves a lot of talking and supervising while my hubby and daughter do all the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:26 am

Depends on your gear and how much of it you have.
SO and I have some very quick-set-up stuff, like pop-up tent, self-inflating (hiking) mattresses etc
that we use on short trips. We haven't done it for a while but we used to camp for 2 nights/a weekend quite frequently in the past.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

chungu

Unread postby chungu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:59 am

Morning,

Thanx a lot for all of your advises Mites, i know that when coming to this Forum you wont go wrong in all the advices.
I just decided to go Camping recently because of the sky rocketing prices of challets with little information about camping.

I have a 2 3X3 Bushdome Tent (Howling moon) with its extension and have not yet camped in KNP, so i managed to book 3 nights on each camp but thought the days will not be enough especially when it comes to packing and unpaking.

Thanx once more again for advices.

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 am

It really depends on personal preference as every one else has mentioned. If I am camping my minimum stay is normally 3 nights before changing camps.
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:49 am

Bush Baptist wrote:It depends how much stuff you have brought and how many helpers you have.

I would only have 2 camps per week.

When my wife and I went on a 3 week camping holiday, and had spent a night or 2 in 'backpackers', pitching the tent in the last week was rather difficult.

I tend to agree.

I often travel alone. I don't like to spend less than 3 nights if I am camping and I try to follow it with tented accommodation.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Check In/ Out Time Rest Camps

Unread postby lion queen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi JMJ,

Here you go............link

Check-in/out times

On the day of arrival occupation can be expected by 14:00 but not guaranteed, on the day of departure accommodation must be vacated by 10:00.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: CAMP ADAPTERS

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:29 am

They look like this: Image
should be able to find one at most hardward stores (and also outdoor stores, PnP Hyper etc)
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Return to “Kruger National Park”