Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caravan camping sites in Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm 

I agree with Glen's tip - try get there at that time for the best selection of site.

We camped there just a few weeks ago and I can kick myself for not taking pics of the camping area! It is now a lot more 'covered' and green and 'private' than the pics above show. I am sure you will find a nice site that you will fit on - the site sizes do vary.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 am 

Thank you Glen and DinkyBird for your input. I will make sure to be there between 09h00 and 10h00. I do appreciate it

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Is checkin time for camping earlier than the norm? I've been trying to talk Mrs Stark into a KNP camping trip and the afternoon checkin is a deal breaker. :( I'd love to give her some new food for thought. :)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have always checked in early for camping without any issues. :thumbs_up: If they gave me issues I would park trailer on site and check in later.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Stark
While check in time is officially 14H00, when camping they generally allow you to check in anytime because there is not much in the way of cleaning to be done unlike a unit which needs to be cleaned/beds made etc. The reason I mentioned 9 - 10am is because one has until 10am to vacate a campsite on the day of departure but generally most leave a lot earlier.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

GlenD wrote:
Hi Stark
While check in time is officially 14H00, when camping they generally allow you to check in anytime because there is not much in the way of cleaning to be done unlike a unit which needs to be cleaned/beds made etc. The reason I mentioned 9 - 10am is because one has until 10am to vacate a campsite on the day of departure but generally most leave a lot earlier.

Unless it is Satara, have seen peeps packing and leaving there in the afternoon. :sniper: :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm 

With camping (not at Tsendze) it is first come, first serve basis on selection of camp sites and this allows too for easy early occupation of a site as opposed to bungalows etc. Once a site is vacated by a guest, it is ready for the next person. We have had folk wait for us to do the last of our pack up so they could take our site.

On the trip we have just completed, we moved 9 times between camps, and there was never a problem with the time we booked in. (in fact, never experienced a problem before either, nor in any SANPark) I did notice some campers leave late in the day - but very few, most leave very early, and I am sure most do this to try and get a good site at the next camp. While we were on this recent trip, the park was pretty fully booked. Even arriving fairly 'late' in the day at Satara, with the camp fully booked, we managed to find ourselves a really nice site. However, sites next to the fences in any camp are always the most sought after, and these are snapped up early in the day.

We also noticed people arriving from the park gates really early to set up camp - also to secure a good site I would imagine.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good info all, thank you. :)

Post subject: Number of days in one Camping site
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:59 pm 

Good Evening Everyone,

Some members have suggested that in order to avoid the packing and unpacking execise at least one can stay for a minimum of two days in a Bungallows or Safari Tents.

What i want to know from camping experts is regarding CAMPING with lots of items to be used.how many days can one spent in a camping site to avoid the packing and unpacking exercise. i have secured 3 nignts in each Camping, so i i have a feeling that it is too little.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Number of days in one Camping site
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:11 pm 

Chungu, we have been camping for 13 years in a tent and trailer tent. We find 3 nights to be fine but then again we have refined our equipment and technique :wink: Not too sure how much stuff you have so it depends on that too. Enjoy!

Tsendze - 07/08/2014 - 11/08/2014
Satara - 11/08/2014 - 14/08/2014
Croc. Bridge - 14/08/2014 - 16/08/2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
3 nights sounds fine to me.. Just have some sort of plan and everyone must have something they do .everything must have a place ( the sameone) when packing We did KNP plus other parks over a two month period and If you get into the routine its easy peasy .It was just the two of us and we are Old folk ( one thing is No toilet break until everything is unpacked !!!Its amazing how fast you move then )

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:16 pm 

Hugh wrote:
( one thing is No toilet break until everything is unpacked !!!Its amazing how fast you move then )
Love it. :D

My motivation is an ice-cold beer once everything has been set up. Nothing before that.

In the Kruger, if I am camping, it is nothing less than 3 days at any one campsite.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:23 pm 

As the others say, it all depends on how much you drag around with you. We have various degrees of setting up camp. Minimum for one or two or three nights, and max for four or more. We only set up the awning on the van for eg, if we stay four nights or longer.

Even if you stay for a long time in a camp, keep what you take with to a minimum - I speak from experience! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:29 pm 

We camp every six weeks for at least 5 nights in Kruger, and 2 weeks end November - beginning December. We only go to one camp each time, which make unpacking and packing up easier. We camp in a caravan - sometimes with the full tent and sometimes with the awning and a side. Depends on the weather and time of the year, and how private the site is we stay at. We take 2 hours to unpack and to pack up again. We don't camp - we glamp! That is with the sattelite dish, tv, freezer, ice maker, everything to make life comfortable.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
chungu,3 days camping in one camp then moving to another camp sounds o.k to me BUT it depends on how organized you are and also depends on how much "stuff" you have and also how many people are helping. We are a family of 3,we each have a job when arriving at a campsite, mine involves a lot of talking and supervising while my hubby and daughter do all the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next