Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help with Richtersveld please.
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:03 pm 

Some advise for us too please from you guys in the know.

This will be a look see trip for us too as we are in the area and cannot resist stopping over to spend a few nights in the park ... BUT this is not a camping trip for us, so .... options are not that open as if we were camping, which we will have to do next time. That leaves three options?

And we will be coming from KTP, Bitterpan, so will it be much shorter to go via Namibia. What is the road out of Mata Mata into Namibia like?

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:21 pm 

Hello
I would like at the ena of August go in that park (I will be before in Kalahari and Mokala.
For go in this park is necessary a 4wd and it is more expensive to rent instead of a Suv (xtrial) to go in Kalahari.
What you think about : is it very very interesting ? .
I could spend there 2 days and I normally no walk more...
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You can also have a look here.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have a look in the index giova there are some car topics there

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

giova,

You will require a 4x4 to visit Richtersveld. Sedan vehicles are not permitted. Some sections are very rocky and other areas sandy where one can easily get stuck without a 4x4 and even with one. :twisted: :twisted:

August will be a wonderful time to visit the park due to the flower season in Namakwaland from August to September.

Just some advice on the time. It will take you nearly a full day from Augrabies to one of the campsite, which means if you book at De Hoop you might reached it nearly at dusk. One can easily get lost at that time of the day and I recommend you to book at Sendelingsdrift or Pootjespram for the first night. Augrabies to Sendelingsdrift is 632 km, but when driving in the park you will only be able to cover 25 - 40 km/h and its not due to speed restrictions :naughty: Total distance from Twee Rivieren, Kgalagadi to Sendelingsdrift is 1020 km and quite a bit to bite off for one day.

I am not sure if you are going to camp but I would recommend De Hoop for camping. The first time I visited Richtersveld was in 2001 when there were not even ablution facilities. Currently there are no power source at the camping areas, except solar lights at the Wilderness camp.

The reason visiting the park is mainly for the landscape scenery. Two days are a bit short to visit most of the areas and I would recommend staying at least 3 days besides the day you travel to the park.

Good luck with your planning. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:11 pm 

Son godin wrote:
giova,

You will require a 4x4 to visit Richtersveld. Sedan vehicles are not permitted. Some sections are very rocky and other areas sandy where one can easily get stuck without a 4x4 and even with one. :twisted: :twisted:

August will be a wonderful time to visit the park due to the flower season in Namakwaland from August to September.

Just some advice on the time. It will take you nearly a full day from Augrabies to one of the campsite, which means if you book at De Hoop you might reached it nearly at dusk. One can easily get lost at that time of the day and I recommend you to book at Sendelingsdrift or Pootjespram for the first night. Augrabies to Sendelingsdrift is 632 km, but when driving in the park you will only be able to cover 25 - 40 km/h and its not due to speed restrictions :naughty: Total distance from Twee Rivieren, Kgalagadi to Sendelingsdrift is 1020 km and quite a bit to bite off for one day.

I am not sure if you are going to camp but I would recommend De Hoop for camping. The first time I visited Richtersveld was in 2001 when there were not even ablution facilities. Currently there are no power source at the camping areas, except solar lights at the Wilderness camp.

The reason visiting the park is mainly for the landscape scenery. Two days are a bit short to visit most of the areas and I would recommend staying at least 3 days besides the day you travel to the park.

Good luck with your planning. :thumbs_up:

Thanks a lot...but we haven't with us camp equipement so we must go to the lodge..
About the park is it possible go inside by car instead of hike ?
Off course using foot instead of car I think could be possible to see better the park..but we have no long time.
For this reason I am no sure to go in this park because I must spend a long time to arrive here (allso if the road could be nice - is it true ?- and I will not have no right time for see the park in the right way

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld advice
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi DB,

I've travelled the road in July from Mata-Mata to Stampriet. In Kgalagadi terms a very good gravel road . We travelled about 70 -80 km/h towing a trailer while most others overtook us. It can be very dusty and windy with lots of up and downs following the riverbed, but in general a smooth ride.

When heading to Cape Town you will turn off before Gochas to Keetmanshoop. That part I am not familiar with, but comparing with most gravel road, beside Spreethoogte pass and others passes from Sossusvlei to Windhoek, I would expect similar conditions.

When visiting Bitterpan you can exit on the shorter route to Morevet and will find it quicker to reach Mata-Mata.
I am not sure if any one told you about the 4x4 route to Bitterpan. Not too far from the camp is a sharp turn to your right that was named after the tourist assitant at the camp, namely Willem se draai. Its a very sandy corner where you must not slowdown to much to avoid getting stuck.

Hope this advice will help and your recce trip is great. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi DB,

I've done that route a few times, as recently as beginning of this month.

I can recommend:

From Mata Mata follow the route over Koes to Keetmanshoop (C17). Here you can stock up on everything you need - especially wood. Then continue on the B4, turning left on the D545 until T junction on the C12/M28. Turn left until T junction onto C37/D601, then turn right. Now you are in the Namibian part of the RTP and there are a few options. You can continue to Hobas, go to the Canyon lookout, continue to Ai Ais hot spring resort - do the short but scenic Gamchab 4x4 trail towards Sendelingsdrift - and then cross the Gariep with the pontoon at Sendelingsdrift. The other option is to enter SA at Vioolsdrift and then approach the SA part of RTP via the Richtersveld conservancy (4x4 route). So yes to many options to cover in one go!

The roads on the Namibian side are all in very good condition but beware of lose gravel - especially on the C17.

Post subject: Planned visit to Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:51 pm 

Am planning a visit to the Richterveld. Have never been so I need some advice.
What is the best time of year to go (Climate wise?)
My wife does not enjoy camping, So which camps would you recommend?
A logical itinerary would help (I reside in Pretoria)

Last edited by Dotty on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Capitals

Post subject: Re: Planned visit to Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Crowned Eagle, a very warm welcome to the forums,
Have you looked in The index? There are some topics listed there, until one of our knowledgable mites comes along with some help.

Post subject: Re: Planned visit to Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:56 pm 

Crowned Eagle we visited in Sept both times and really enjoyed the weather - warm but neither too hot or cold! Veld and flowers were beautiful at that time of year. Sendelingsdrift cottages very comfortable self catering for a night but is on edge of reserve so barking dogs,village sounds also sometimes can be heard. We spent 2 nights at Tatasberg wilderness camp and loved it! Beautiful views across from the cabins and from here you can access the park! You can swim in the river here too!However we did a combination of camping and accommodation in order to experience the greater park - de hoop & kokerboomkloof - offer camping only but are unique with regards to surrounds. De hoop has lovely ablutions with flush loo's and showers! Perhaps you may persuade her for a night or 2 at De hoop :lol: :lol: Kokerboomkloof beautiful area with magnificent rock formations but facilities were pretty rustic when we were there with chemical loo's & no water. Good luck :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We will be visiting the Richtersveld for the first time beginning of September.
Can anybody tell me if one can still camp at Kokerboomskloof? It features under accomodation for the Richtersveld but not on the reservation pages?
We thought of booking two nights at De Hoop, two nights at Richtersberg and the last night at Kokerboomskloof. We plan on travelling from Alexanderbaai to De Hoop for the first night - any comments or advice?
Does it get very cold at night? Space is a problem so we will have to pack sparingly.
Any advice will be appreciated. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Alex Bay to De Hoop should be fine in a day. There are 2 'passes' that you have to use low range to 'walk' up the rocky road.
September should not be cold at all, and you should be able to swim at De Hoop (the scene of a very :redface: moment for me) and Richtersberg.
The rest I don't know.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there, BB!
Thanks for your advice! :thumbs_up: I read your trip report just yesterday and had a lekker :lol: about your "moment"!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Yeah - it was classic. :redface:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next