That's great, Sky!

Look forward to some sweet piccies...! :mrgreen:

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Post subject: Re: Photography Kit Parade
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
I have recently upgraded our kit, Apex Predator can also take some nice pictures now 8)

My kit:

Nikon D7000
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX APO DG HSM

Recent Upgrade:

Nikon D90
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED

Now that I have a second body I can keep the Sigma 500mm fitted on the D7000 and avoid dust :twisted:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Since I do know a fair bit about photography, I'm fully aware that we're not in the same league as the kits on this parade. However, we'd (SO and I) like to ask the experts about an entry-level DSLR that is currently on special:
Would anyone consider the following specs as value-for-money for an entry-level DSLR, or do you think it is best to save up for a couple of years and then spend more?

Canon EOS 1100D
12MegaPixels
75-300mm lens
2.7 LCD screen
HD movie mode

At the moment we have a Nikon CoolPix P90, 12MegaPixels, 24x Optical Zoom Wide.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 pm 

Hi OWN

Have a look at this website. As a "loyal" Canon owner I find that it gives a lot of useful information:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

I would rather go for the next level (XXXD series, for instance the 550D/600D/650D), I have a Canon 7D but use the 550D which has been on the market for a few years already as a second camera and with both a 70-200mm f.4 zoom lens and a 300mm f.4 lens it gives very good results.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:57 am 
Thank you, Franconel. :clap: That website is indeed excellent for perusing for info. Thanks also for the advice; we actually looked at some higher models and decided that it would be better to spend an additional 2-3K and get more megapixels and a few other features. The problem is, I suppose, that it is pretty much a neverending obsession for, each new model brings advances that accelerate the scope of the serious photographer. So, greater and greater money outlays to get the absolute best. However, DSLR's are the way forward for us - especially for wildlife - and we will be purchasing in a little while. Now to get that savings account going ... :hmz:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

[quote="onewithnature"][color=#4000FF]Thank you, Franconel. :clap: That website is indeed excellent for perusing for info. Thanks also for the advice; we actually looked at some higher models and decided that it would be better to spend an additional 2-3K and get more megapixels and a few other features. The problem is, I suppose, that it is pretty much a neverending obsession for, each new model brings advances that accelerate the scope of the serious photographer. So, greater and greater money outlays to get the absolute best. However, DSLR's are the way forward for us - especially for wildlife - and we will be purchasing in a little while. Now to get that savings account going ... :hmz: [/color][/quote]

Hey OWN.

Perhaps look at getting a 600D body, 18 megapixels with 3.7frames ef second.

I use a 550D body as my main body and find it perfectly good. Will upgrade sometime in the future though but the body does what i need it to do.

Also look at the 650d which has a slightly higher frame rate at 5 frames per second.

The 600d you can pick up in twin lens bundles for around R8000 and I don't think you would be upset with the quality. Also does full hd video

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, the days of vacillating are drawing to a close. I have decided on a Canon EF 100-400L 4.5-5.6 IS NUM lens which will set me back the price of my first new car, though the camera body will have to wait until used bodies drop in price.

I have decided to follow my brain and also common advice, and put my savings into the glass, and have the body follow. I have my beady eye on a 7D, but ten grand is more than I can afford just now, hence my choice.

In the meantime, if anyone is bored with their 1D4, I would be happy to relieve them of it...

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:26 am 
Oh yes, Huntsman, thanks for reminding me of the wisdom of glass vs. body; sometimes I forget that when searching for specials. :thumbs_up:

Timbo, your advice is much appreciated. :thumbs_up: I'll look around and weigh up the options versus budget. Now, what to leave out of my life to compensate ... :hmz:

BTW, is it generally worth buying a second-hand camera?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 pm 

For those Canon fans out there, Canon have recently announced ther competitor to the Nikon 200-400 f4 VR, which comes with a built-in 1.4x converter. Downside is the price at $11,799US :big_eyes:

Have a look for some further insight http://photographylife.com/canon-ef-200-400mm-f4l-announcement

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

onewithnature wrote:
Oh yes, Huntsman, thanks for reminding me of the wisdom of glass vs. body; sometimes I forget that when searching for specials. :thumbs_up:

Timbo, your advice is much appreciated. :thumbs_up: I'll look around and weigh up the options versus budget. Now, what to leave out of my life to compensate ... :hmz:

BTW, is it generally worth buying a second-hand camera?

Boet -

I think so. I bought a beautifully clean 7D this afternoon, complete with straps, box 'n all, so new in everything but name, and it cost me R10 000.00. New from the same shop? R15995.00

Now if I have a klomp kak with it I will be violently angry but I truly doubt that will happen and I did get a 6 month guarantee to shove up their noses if it does! :dance:

What about the aforementioned lens, you ask? Camera took precedence and, as I'm getting a new lens, it's not going to disappear... :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great Choice huntsman

With second hand gear, just inquire about the condition, service history, whether the is any physical or internal damage and how many actuation s have been made with the shutter. preferable you would want it to be lower rather then higher

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good Point, timbo -

Unfortunately Canon, unlike Nikon, don't offer the shutter-count feature...in this model at least.

Now to make the move from film to Digital...! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 am 

Hi Guys,

Regarding shutter counting. It is almost impossible now to accurately say how many actuations have been taken. This is because of the video function a lot of the newer models have. My father has a 7D and had to replace the shutter after +/-60 000 actuations. this after taking it to Cameratek in Randburg. I know myself that this is very accurate as my father does not use the video function. The older cameras (40D 50D , etc) you can download a program that can scan your camera and tell you everything about your camera, from actuations to the serial number etc.

Just research on google for your particular model and you should fine programs.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

yeah brogan

canon dont offer the count on their lower end models but I think they do in the 7D. just check in the manual.

Shutters have an expected life expectancy, they can go at any time or last a life time. just get your camera serviced every now and then and it may prolong the life of your camera and shutter.

eg. canon 5d mark 2 has a expected shutter count of around 150 000, but there are bodies out there that have taken closer to 300 000 or more

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:25 am 

Hi Timbo,

I found a app that can tell you how many actuation are on a few models like the 30D , 40D and 50D (I had the 30D and 40D) , as well as a separate app for the 350D. not sure about the rest. if you take it to cameratek they can tell you exactly how many shots you have taken on any model. i just recently sold a 20D which i had for a year. the guy that bought it off me took it to cameratek and they told him the shutter count was 200 000!!!! on a 20D. well done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next