Skip to Content

Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread postby spargish » Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 am

When I stay at Balule in 3 weeks it will be my first time in the huts. Any one who has stayed there how much shade is there near the huts?

Would one be allowed to put up a gazebo outside your hut?
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RobertT » Mon May 27, 2013 10:58 am

If I recall correctly there are quite a few established trees in the centre between huts and camping. Should not have a problem with shade close by.

cygnus

Unread postby cygnus » Mon May 27, 2013 3:13 pm

No 6 has no shade, you will have to move away a little for shade under the sausage tree.
This hut is a favourite, being on the perimeter fence, but it also has several braais in front of it and it can quite busy if there is a group who want to braai and eat together (about 20m from your door).
No 5 has shade and privacy (and a good river view if you face away from the rest of the huts), while 3 and 4 are shady and close to the bathrooms.
I avoid 1 as it's close to the camp site's fence and is sometimes noisy.
2 has some shade too.
Gazebo? Have never seen one up, and doubt it's a necessity.
However, there is nothing I wouldn't accept at Balule!

Dup

Unread postby Dup » Mon May 27, 2013 9:02 pm

If you want shade for siesta time in the afternoon/ mid day, the big Baobab and friends next to the bathrooms work well for the car(side nearest to the gate).
I think the trees in the middle of the hut section is cool enough for just relaxing and the sun starts to be more bearable this time of year.
SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

NO to frackers products

Lone Bull trail here we come-April 2015

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:21 pm

You can book a walk at Olifants, and the guides will collect you at the gate at Balule.
We have done this numerous times and loved our walks along the river.

We booked a morning walk which we did last month and were lucky they chose to walk along the river that day - right past where the Pels roost. (But no sighting for us that day.)

You can also book a River Walk (I think this is still an option) which will definitely take you along the river.
It is shorter and sets off later in the day than the morning walk.
But again, I am not sure if they always walk in the same area along the river, so you need to check.

They guides do pace the walks and often stop to inform one of interesting things along the way.
Perhaps the most challenging for us was getting down and up through the couple of little spruits that were running at the time.
A bit of rock jumping.
And I am by no means a marathon walker, and coped fine.

I suggest you call Olifants and tell them where you would like to walk and wish to see the Pels and ask them to advise you.
Sawubona
Dalene

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:43 am

I would say that 1 and 6 are the best as they are probably the most private where 2-5 are a lot closer to each other. Huts 1-5 all have a good shade covering and will be cooler in summer, 6 doesn't have any shade but you just need to have your table and chairs a short distance under the lovely trees.

Number 6's braai is about 1,5m away from the fence and you still have a decent river view while sitting around he fire.

But in all honesty there is no bad hut at Balule

Riverrat

Unread postby Riverrat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 pm

The Northern end looks complete and pretty satisfactory. But the southern end is a mess.
Dr. Kevin Azzie

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:45 am

Leervis, Balule has a magical atmosphere indeed, and always transports me back to the "old-world" feel that existed in earlier days. The hyaena do visit regularly and wild sounds from the river float up during the night. For me, that bridge over the Olifants is a highlight of a visit there and I will look forward to the day when construction on it is completed.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Just spent a magical four nights camping at Balule. My SO is updating our TR with some of our experiences. The camp just seems to grow on one more and more!

The surrounding bush is very dry and so the view to the river is fairly open, and likewise from the other side of the river too.

ImageBalule camp from oppoiste river by dinkybird, on Flickr
Sawubona
Dalene

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:40 pm

I have done more than 100 Kruger trips since 1985 when I celebrated my 40th birthday at Skukuza. We have stayed in private camps, Jock at least 6 times, most of the donor houses, and all of the bush camps. Camping at Balule last month, October, was a revelation to me. The way the camp is maintained with everything spotless and in the best of working order, the generosity in the size of the camp sites, the grassed lawn in the centre of the camping area for midday relaxation, and of course the way that one is able to be almost in the bush, with an electric fence for protection, was marvellous. The drives in the area are amazing and this will be enhanced with the completion of the causeway. It is almost worth waking at 1 or 2 am for a toilet visit just to return to the camping site and sit outside listening to the bush around you.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am

I am staying at Balule in just over a month :dance: :dance: :dance: Number 6 is my favourite hut but it does lack in shade slightly, seeing as it is summer would you still try and get number 6 or are their other cooler huts you would suggest :hmz:

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RobertT » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 am

Imo, would still try for no 6 but if I didn't get it would not be the end of the world, saying that the camp is so small they are all nicely situated and there is not a big difference in positioning. You aren't in camp much during heat of the day and if you are it would be nicer to laze under the trees on a blanket or hammock than in any of the huts. :thumbs_up:

Boslaaitie

Unread postby Boslaaitie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:46 am

Number 3 is nice in the middel with some shade. Any hut is a nice hut in balule.

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:29 am

Every hut is fine as, as has been mentioned, the camp is small, beautiful, and intimate. No.6 seems to be the popular choice as it is closest to the fence, but the others are within a few steps of the fence anyway. Nos. 3 and 4 are directly opposite the ablutions but, since there are so few people, we have never been disturbed there. The huts are open to sound (closed to insects and any other intruders with netting) and that brings one back to the wildness of the area.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule activities

Unread postby RemiE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 am

K-4S, you got to phone Olifants Camp Reception and arrange with them before the time
If I recall correctly you need to be a minimumof 4 people.
Best is to phone them and speak to the Hospitality Manager
Tel: +27 (0)13 735 6606/7
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/olifants/
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”