Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nyalaland Wilderness Trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

All besides Napi have a similar layout .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: nyalaland wilderness trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:46 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums!

There will always be big game around, it's the luck of the draw if you see it...
Be at the right place at the right time.

To me trails and walks are more for the little things though. The insects, birds, plants...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In mid summer Nyalaland is in a hot but also very beautiful area - make sure you visist Lanner Gorge - the most beautiful spot in the Park.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject: Re: nyalaland wilderness trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
There will always be big game around, it's the luck of the draw if you see it...
Be at the right place at the right time.To me trails and walks are more for the little things though. The insects, birds, plants...

I can only agree with DuQues ... one trail group may see more than the next group that walks 2 days later . Rainfall usually affects the animal distribution , but in Oct & Nov it is usually still very dry with animals concentrated around the permanent water sources , but bear in mind that due to the geology and terrain the Nyalaland trails area will seldom be home to large concentrations of game .
It is by far the most remote trails area and offers good scenery , birding (especially in the rainy season when many migrants arrive - it is the southern most limit of distribution of many migrants) but on top of it all the feeling of being in a remote corner of the KNP is what appeals the most to me .

In short , if you are solely after big 5 sightings the other KNP trails probably offer a better chance , though I can assure you from experience there is no guarantee of this .... it is impossible to predict ... I have walked Olifants trail in January when it was bone dry and we saw perhaps a handfull of mammals on 4 walks ... the same on the Metsi Metsi last year in March when the grass was chest high .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

sanyrob , there is only one way to get to Punda , in your case it is by rental vehicle as there is no public transport system within the Kruger .
The best way I could suggest is to take a flight from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa , from Phalaborwa it is approximately a 5 hour trip through the park at the speed limit of 50 km/h on black (paved) surfaced road to Punda Maria . This will necessitate spending the evening prior to the trail inside the KNP as the departure time for the trail is 3pm .

Post subject: Re: The "whoow" sighting or event in KNP
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nyalaland wilderness trail , Jan 1988 .
Walking along a steep , well used , rocky animal path which was the only route up onto the plateau we heard trumpeting elephants approaching , just in time the ranger took us onto higher ground and we were treated to the sight of a breeding herd , they were agitated and trumpeted and milled around when they got our scent but we were relatively safe as big rocks blocked the way between us ...

We rested at these beautiful rock pools (one of many) on the plateau for a while while to calm our nerves ... unmatched beauty and exhiliration within 30 minutes .

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Beautifull vistas - Jan 1988 ...

We had to rapidly evade elephants which we encountered on the pathway down the plateau .

Post subject: Nyalaland In October
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 am 
Has anyone been to this camp lately? Was it damaged during the floods? What can we expect in October?

Post subject: Re: Nyalaland In October
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I assume it was damaged as it was not available on the on line reservation availability from January to June . I was in the north a week ago , the general area experienced flooding during January .

http://www.sanparks.org/docs/parks_krug ... bility.pdf?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can someone from SanParks ascertain if Nyalaland trails camp was closed for repairs ?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
ndloti wrote:
Can someone from SanParks ascertain if Nyalaland trails camp was closed for repairs ?

I've send your query through........ :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 am 
Guru
Guru

ndloti wrote:

Will find out for you :thumbs_up:

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lesego wrote:
ndloti wrote:

No feedback ?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
Lesego wrote:
ndloti wrote:

No feedback ?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Ndloti

Please note that Nyalaland is still closed until further notice. We have not yet started with renovations as the priority is on Shingwedzi and other bush camps which were affected by the floods. We will keep you guys posted once there are developments on Nyalaland.

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next