Skip to Content

Re: Bookings - info - advice & Feedback

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park

Re: Can not move from one bungalow to another

Unread postby boogels » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Some good news,

I e-mailed Mr Joep Stevens and informed him in no uncertain terms what I think of this utter redicilous ruling and what inconvenience it caused me and the good news is he informed me via an e-mail today that they are buzy revising the oudtated policy to accommodate moving from one to another unit if need be.

Hope the result will be positive and SOON

Re: Bookings - info - advice & Feedback

Unread postby Annaluisa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am

As a matter of interest, even though we live in Cape Town, I always do all my National Parks bookings by phoning the Reservation House 'satellite booking office' in Jhb (tel: 011-678-8870) and making your reservations then and there over the phone.
You never have to wait more than a couple of minutes to get through to a consultant, and I find them unfailingly polite and efficient - the confirmation email comes through almost before I've put the phone down.

Also, if you're unable to find exactly what you want accommodation-wise, but don't want to lose the availability there is, this is a good way to 'hedge your bets', as (unlike online booking), you don't have to pay immediately - depending on how far in advance you're booking, there's about a month's grace period before you have to pay the deposit, during which time more or better accommodation could become available - and you don't end up paying a penalty.

Off-Peak time in the Kruger.

Unread postby schooms » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi guys,

Wonder if anyone can help here. In a recent magazine article in a SA travel magazine it mentioned that when one books accomodation in SANPARKS (including the Kruger) that one must ask about the off-peak periods and about the discounts available during these periods.

Apologies to the moderators but I didn't find this in any other forum, but if it is then please direct me to the correct one.

My question is this, when is the off-peak period in the Kruger?
An African sunset is the best form of therapy!

Re: Off-Peak time in the Kruger.

Unread postby moose1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm

If you look under Tariffs on the SANP web site and open the 2013 -2014 Tariffs you will see that from Nov 2013 there are 3 Tariffs. A Low Season rate, a shoulder season rate and a high season rate. They differentiate between "HOT" times (low season )and "COOLER " times in the parks (high season) as well as school holiday periods . You will see the 3 columns with the respective applicable dates . Hope this helps ?

Unread postby schooms » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks Moose!!! That really helped! :thumbs_up:
An African sunset is the best form of therapy!

Unread postby moose1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 am

Hi Schooms

Dont forget there are also Pensioners discounts (there are some benefits to getting old !!! :o ) Go to ... scount.php for the files

Then there are the special deals and you can get these at ... scount.php

Then there are the weekly specials on the main page of the SANP website It says " Quick availability check - Still available this weekend "

Also read about tariffs etc on

Hope this helps !! Enjoy your trips --- it is much better when you only have only paid 60% of the normal tariff !!! :)

Re: Cancellation policy

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 pm

nicvincent wrote:All nice. But what happens if I need to cancel more than 30 days (e.g. 2 months) before arrival? Would there be any cancellation fee or will all the amount be credited back to my cc?
Many thanks

That's right, more than 30 days and there is no cancellation charge and as I understand it either paid back or you can take a credit.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Conservation Charges

Unread postby DSouter » Thu May 16, 2013 9:07 am

Conservation Charges to drop -
Durban - South Africans touring Kruger National Park in open safari vehicles would no longer have to pay the same rate as foreign visitors.

SANParks said all visitors were normally charged the standard rate for foreigners if they visited the park in open safari vehicles on organised tours which mainly cater for the international market.

However, statistics showed that more local visitors were now visiting the park on such tours, and SANParks had decided to allow South Africans to pay a reduced rate for park conservation fees.

As from November 1, conservation fees for Kruger (and open safari vehicle guests) would be R62 for locals, R124 for SADC nationals and R248 for international guests. Children younger than 12 would pay half price. - The Mercury

Re: Conservation Charges

Unread postby AndreaB » Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Can anyone give me a rational explanation as to why international visitors have to pay approx. 4 times more conservation charges than locals? :wall:

I am getting somewhat tired of being treated as a cash cow merely because we travel in from other countries?
And yes I do have a Wild Card but even then we are charged far more than SA citizens.

The days where South Africa was a cheap holiday are long gone. Much as I love Kruger and would be devastated if I couldnt make my annual trip it, is slowly but surely becoming a luxury item that may have to become a bi-annual treat.
Biyamiti 13-15 Feb 16
L Sabie 16-19 Feb 16
Shingwedzi 19-21 Feb 16
Satara 21-25 Feb

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am

South African tax money is contributing to the upkeep of our parks and has done so for many years. This is a small way in which South Africans are benefiting from the tax they are paying. South Africans pay the same rates for accommodation as people from all other countries.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Joep Stevens

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Dear AndreaB,

To add to what Imberbe has already explained, conservation fees for national parks are determined considering the charges for similar reputable parks across Africa and the world.
We call these the standard conservation fees.
In the case of large parks such as Kruger, Kgalagadi and Addo, SANParks rates compare favourably (cheaper) than parks such as Serengeti, Chobe, Masai Mara, Etosha.
As explained by Imberbe SA residents benefit by a ratio of 4:1 reduction, indeed for the reason of them funding the conservation grant that SANParks receives from the Government.
Then there is a further option for the regular and long staying visitors that can benefit from the Wild Card option available.
I hope and trust that this is understandable and supported.
Just a subtle difference - instead of the approach being "non-SA residents paying 4 times more than SA residents", the approach should be "non-SA residents pay comparable (if not favourable) rates (compared to parks across Africa and the world) and SA residents pay reduced fees, as it their taxes (mostly so) that fund conservation in South Africa."

Thank you.

General Manager: Tourism Operations

Re: change of booking

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Lucy

Yes, they are open on a Saturday, in the morning.

Central Reservations (Pretoria): +27 (0)12 428 9111 or mobile: +27 (0)82 233 9111
Call Centre Office Hours (GMT+2)

Monday to Friday: 07:30 - 17:00
Saturday: 08:00 - 13:00

List of satellite offices here:- link

Do you need a printed reservation?

Unread postby cfraser » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey guys

Going into the Kruger for day tomorrow, I have made my advanced reservation but do not have access to a printer, do you have to have a printed copy? Or you think I can use my iPad to show them the details??

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Do you need a printed reservation?

Unread postby Crested Val » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 pm

If you make a note of your reservation number and client number they can look you up.

I once misplaced out paperwork, and there was no problem at all. They were very helpful at Malelane Gate where we entered the park, and Croc bridge camp, where we were staying.

Have a lovely day in the park.!!! :thumbs_up:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Addo Feb 2-5 2016
Storms River Feb 5-8 2016
Kruger Feb 21-Mar 10th 2016

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Do you need a printed reservation?

Unread postby tent dweller » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:19 am

If you have your reservation number as well as your client code I am sure that the staff at the reception can access the rest on their computer system, wish I was you, have a FANTASTIC day :mrgreen: :clap: :clap:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Return to “Kruger National Park”