Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Could somebody explain to me
Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Malealea wrote:
... Well we can´t deny that danger in KTP. But Anne Marie I will seriously doubt what you said about snakes. They will enter even when fence exist......
of course they can... but in KK a kid can open the door... with a Puff Adder or another Cape Cobra just behind this door... and nobody had seen this one coming :wink:
and I'm not afraid by snakes (read my TR)... only in case of :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I like the idea , I agree the main noise rule breakers are noisy adults at night , it is a pity children - even the quiet , well behaved ones whose parents have respect for those seeking tranquility - are excluded ,

When can we expect such unfenced campa in Kruger ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 am 

Botswana side camping, no restrictions on children and you can share a tent with as many you would like
until then with no family units in the wilderness camps no children under 12
2 per unit max

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:50 am 

Hi Anne-Marie,

I will not deny that Snakes occur in KTP. But a Fence will not stop them at all. A couple of years ago there was a nicediscussion going on abou relocating animals from inside to theoutside camp, where exactly the Snake matter was discussed. A Fence might hold back big Games (even that is uestionable, a couple of days a Leopard was seen and photographed in Punda Maria), but def. not smaller Games like Snakes an scorpions. Tell me Technique how it should work and I will be quiet, but to be honest I will doubt it.

But even if we are taking the danger in consideration, evenso there might be a reason for that rule, SANP will Patronize in that case the Parents. Which is incorrect, except when the Children or parents missbehave.

Just a question, some of you mentioned the Issue of Security. Do you have numbers How many accidents in the Wilderness Camp exist? How many were serious? And whats about Botswana? Just to make a comparison, if this Argument (indeed the only one for the rule) can be hold.

Best Regards

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm 

OK this is going way off topic now folks.

The bottom line is that SANParks have decided that the maximum number of people in the Wilderness Camps (excluding KTC) that can be comfortably be accommodated without impinging on the "Wilderness" aspect is 8 people per camp. I would imagine that any more and the whole reason of having these types of camps is lost.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
An interesting thing would be;

When you book for a single person in a wilderness camp, if you could indicate that you would be prepared for them to share with anotherr child.

for instance if there were 3 units available at GK and PRWIN took 2 and another family of 3 with a son wanted to go, the 2 boys could then share a unit to sleep in, as well as the cost.

But the admin :doh:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 pm 

Is it really off-topic? :hmz: I mean the rule must have somehow a basis.

Anyway we are not discussing the limit of 8 People, we are discussing if this is clever to seperate a family. Some of you have written down the aspekt of security. Therefor I don´t think that is off-topic so far. But still it is only my simple oppinion.

Best REgards

Post subject: First time Kgalagadi, Which wildernesscamp?
Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:18 pm 

Hello Mites

In July/ August of 2014 we are planning to visit South Africa again. As the title says it is going to be our first visit to the Kgalagadi. We are planning to stay 6 nights in the park and definately want to stay 2 nights (starting) at Mata Mata and also 2 nights at Nossob.

We have browsed true the forum a lot and have decided that we would like to experience a wilderness camp because of the remote bush feeling and often spectacular views from the veranda.

We were wondering is there a certain camp which you can’t miss during your stay in the Kgalagadi? (great view or good sightings) Also is it worth driving around if you are staying in a wilderness camp or should you just put your feet up and see what comes by? We are planning to stay 1 or 2 nights in a wilderness camp, depending on the location.

One other question is the car hire choice. On the forum we have read mixed reviews about which car to hire. Is it really necessary to hire a 4x4 in the park considering all the roads will be bone dry in July/August or is a 2x4 just fine?

Please share your personal experiences as we are struggling to make a choice.

Regards.

TR: "Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Post subject: Re: First time Kgalagadi, Which wildernesscamp?
Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Hi t-bal,

My choice would be either Grootkolk or Urikaruus.

As for driving vs staying put, wait until you are there and get the latest info.

4x4 is not necessary. The roads are not challenging, just corrugated sometimes, so let your tyres down. You might want a car with a decent spare wheel, not just an aerosol can. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

With only 6 nights in the park, I definitely would not recommend including Grootkolk, especially for a first time visitor to KTP. The park is vast and the distances between camps is considerable -- this is not at all like Kruger. I would recommend that you either stick to the three main camps, which will allow you to see most of the park except for the far north. If you want to include a wilderness camp, then choose, for example, to stay at either Twee Rivieren OR KielieKrankie, which are in approximately the same area, or similarly, either at Mata Mata OR Kalahari Tented Camp. And for only 6 nights, I would suggest that you spend 2 nights at each camp that you choose, as travel times between camps are considerable, plus you don't want to waste valuable time with too much packing and unpacking.

HTH and have a great trip!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 pm 

Hi Bush Baptist and arks

Thank you for your response

May I ask why you would choose one of these 2 camps BB? Because of the view, great game nearby or good accommodation. Further we have had some bad experiences with our wheels in Kruger where 1 spare wasn’t enough, we better bring a couple of spares with us to the Kgalagadi :lol: .

Arks thank you for your advice. If we stay 6 days we were planning to stay at 3 camps each for 2 nights. How ether we are flexible considering we are going to the Kruger straight after our visit to the Kgalagadi. We could stay 1 or 2 nights longer so that we could fit in a camp. It all depends on which wilderness camp we are going to stay. We were wondering what you fellow mites believe to be your favorite camp and why?, considering we were struggling to make a choice.

Thanks again for your advise

Regards

Unread postPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Urik has had a lot of drama, like hyenas cornering and killing a gnu under one of the units. The waterhole is very productive for predators. I have never stayed there, but would love to.

GK is near Union's End which is a lovely part of the park and one gets the feeling of remoteness and the park to oneself. Lions often walk between your car and unit to get to the waterhole, and used to enjoy licking the braais before a moderate wall was build on the 'veranda'. When we stayed there it did not happen but there was a huge lion under a tree just outside camp.

If you love a bit of adrenalin, these are for you, but if you like to be 'safe' t-bal, stay in the 3 main camps.

I might have made it sound worse than it is - I have never had a puncture in KTP - but it is always best to be prepared.

Just a warning, this won't be your only Kgalagadi trip.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 pm 

Hi Bush Baptist

I don’t like to play it safe so Wilderness Camps are defiantly my cup of tea.

I had a look at the topic Predators at picnic sites, waterholes and toilets in KTP and saw plenty of pics that were taken in Urikaruus, it does look amazing.

We were thinking of spending more time in the park which means we do have time to go up north and enjoy the remoteness.

We will be well prepared for tire problems and I will keep your warning in mind. :thumbs_up:

Thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:54 am 

Playing it safe has nothing to do with staying in a wilderness camp or not. My first nights ever in KTP were in Nossob and two nights of roaring lions making the chalet and us inside tremble did give me a real bush feeling :lol: Once we had Urikaruus and nothing happened al all, the doves flying from the trees to the waterhole was the highlight of this wilderness experience
So do what you would like to do and what is in your opinion worth a visit. Some people always see lions at Marie se draai (and so do we) but I do know people who have never ever seen a lion there!
If you are looking to stay at MM you can stay at KTC instead, it is 4 km from MM but it is a wilderness camp. Nossob is a must, go on a drive or walk, remember it will be cold but hey you coming from the Netherlands will survive this. If you are looking for incredible endless views stay in KK instead of 2R, but it is all up to you. Go and see what KTP has in store for you, don't go to a camp because others told you so. You might raise expectations too high. Go with an open mind and be patient. If Columbus had listened to all the advisors he would have never sailed.......

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
As Jonkers says, there are no guarantees and your experience will be different.

But I also like to get info beforehand that might be able to assist me in decision making.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next