Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lake Panic Bird Hide
Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:58 pm 

What is the best time of the day to spend at Lake Panic to take photos?

Post subject: Re: Lake Panic Bird Hide
Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
Joubie, I spend many hours over the years at LP and something can happen any time.

For Photography the best time is in the afternoon with the sun behind the hide. During the day the light is harsh, but try to under expose and you will have lots of action.

In winter with the temperature below zero (take a blanket) you get the most amazing sunrise images and just to sit there you never forget and go back again.

You can view the LP gallery to get an idea. I love the birds, but my best sighting ever was two Leopard sightings in 2 days....

Hope you get stunning images and please share........

Link to LP gallery

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=61734&start=1155

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm 

Hi Jan
I have just looked at your photos and they are stunning. I also followed your KTP travel tale and from your pictures and dates I think we were there at the same time, early December. We stayed at Rooiputs and also saw the beautiful males at Kij Kij. On our last morning we witnessed a verbal turf war between the two large males, the three young males and a female and two juvenile cubs. The noise was deafening and we were the only people there and when it was over all the cars from Twee Rivieren arrived.
Thank you so much for the advice. We going to be at Skukuza for only 1 day in the June holidays and I believe it gets quite busy but I'm going to try get there early.
Charmaine Joubert
Port Elizabeth

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Joubie, you wil have a great time there at the 'Lake' and I am :mrgreen: as it is my favoutite spot - still waiting to hear if my application to be a caretaker there is successfull :hmz: .

As Jan van Wyk had commented - fully agree. The winter morning early as possible is just amazing with sunrise on the horizon. Watch out for the hippos close to the hide early mornings and late afternoons. :thumbs_up:

Remember to post some LP pics on the Gallary that Jan had started... :thumbs_up: