Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 274  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Johan for revealing the birds in #16. :thumbs_up:

I do have a few issues to raise. :?
1)My gut reaction was that the duck had some mallard in it. Had I known that hybrids are included then I might have got a half mark.
2) Unless you've seen the Swamphen and Black crake the comparison of the legs was nigh on impossible to spot.
3)Would it not be possible to award half a point for the correct species but not the exact bird?

As someone who is only a visitor to the national parks every so often and tries these challenges not having seen a quarter of the birds, some indication in the pm saying if you have the correct species would certainly encourage me to continue. You may get more participants

This criticism is not aimed at any one person as I know you all do this for the love of birds and in your free time.
For that a big thank you. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Ok. Someone will come back and tell me to take it on the chin and get on with it......I will.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi umtali1,

Many of us are in the same situation as you are and even many South Africans are. Most of the birds you'll only see in the parks and very few are going to the parks that often.

What the duck is concerned, there was no other explanation. You's never find that duck in a bird book or on the Internet and it was the same for all of us.

2) again was the same for all of us. I went through at least 20 pics of both species before I decided what was more likely.

What the points are concerned.....it is up to the poster whether to give 1/2 points for something or not.

It is a great satisfaction to get points, but after all we are here to have fun and like in my case also to learn. You cannot even imagine how much I have learned since I started doing first the "Birding School for Ducklings" and when I got more sure of myself this Bird ID challenge :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Fair comment, Micetta. I shall have to treat one correct as a bonus.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You do not have to get humble :lol: :lol: I just wanted to point out, that we are all doing our best. Someone has been birding for decades and others have just started and we can certainly not expect to be like the former..............yet :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Umtali, I myself would have had some very embarrassing ID's on Johan's challenge, but it was a very good challenge.

When the challenges started may years ago it was meant for two things that it has absolutely achieved. The first was for fun, but the second was to enable people to learn.

Micetta is a good example. Incidentally I just deleted a few PM's from back in 2010 tonight (yes i don't get many) and I checked some of the participants answers then who are still participating today. Micetta as an example, has extended her knowledge unbelievably over these years, without probably having seen many of these birds in real life - so goal 2 met! (BTW - I give you a deep bow, Micetta :clap: )

What made Johan's challenge good is that he got everyone to think wider.

The duck was a humdinger - but the fact is when going out birding you will encounter one of these at some point - You will now probably remember this challenge duck for a long time and so will think of this when trying to make an id - so you have learned

The feet again was tough, probably with about a 50/50 of getting it right if you did not know what to look for. My guess was wrong btw, but I learned a few things about the feet that I did not know, and in some cases this type of finer detail will clinch an ID when out birding. You forget the birds you had right, but the details of the wrong ones remain with you much longer, and jump up to memory when you see the bird while birding.

Awarding half points is up to the challenge master. In the time that I ran the challenges weekly I was much in tune of who each participant was and their skill levels, and so the rookies got many more half points for correct family or close call on species. However the challenge should never be a competition with the other participants, but a personal challenge on improving skill, and although I agree a half point might be encouragement, it should make little difference in enthusiasm.

Lastly a long time ago it was decided not to give the correct answers when giving the challenge score. The main reason for this was that often this lead to discussion in the thread, either giving the answer or giving the alternative possibilities, spoiling it for those who enter later in the week. now we rather have discussion like this one, once the answers are revealed.

Thank you for the positive criticism, it is always good to think about, and jot down, the purpose of the challenge every once in a while, to remind both players and challengers of why we participate. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Imax, thank you for your comments.

I have learned a lot from Johan van Rensburg's challenge and will quite likely remember points when I'm next birding.

As you and Micetta say it's all about learning and participating.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you so much for all your inputs Umtali1, Micetta and Imax! :gflower:

umtali1 wrote:
Imax, thank you for your comments.I have learned a lot from Johan van Rensburg's challenge and will quite likely remember points when I'm next birding.As you and Micetta say it's all about learning and participating.

That's the spirit Umtali1 .... but don't forget to enjoy too! :thumbs_up:

Thank you Ladybirder! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Micetta, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Imax :redface: :k :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

11/11 and bonus point.
Thank you imax for the time and effort going into these challenges.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Our Champion :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap: Ladybirder :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Micetta

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Fantastic Ladybirder! Congratulations! :clap: :clap:

Imax will post challenge #18/2013 too on Friday, 10 May 2013! Thank you in advance Imax! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Hilda

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all, Hilda pm'd me and pointed out that I've been remiss in entering challenges the last few months.
Unfortunately that is not going to change anytime soon. We're moving to Cape Town in 7 weeks (an exciting new birding habitat for me), but its very busy logistically relocating your family etc 1300+ kms away.
Once we're settled etc and my work stuff has been sorted I'll re-evaluate, but at this stage, unfortunately I do not have time to participate. :doh:
Good luck and I'm glad that Johan is back at long last! :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 274  Next