Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 189 of 203
 [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 203  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:40 pm 

Thanks Kaapsedraai, I received your picture.
I don't like to say "it is not the tusker you think it is" like I just did with Mavumbye, but this is not Nshawani (differences in ears and tusk). There are sometimes bulls with almost a similar "look", but if you look at the details like trunk, ear marks, tusks (length , shape etc) you can see the differences or the opposite, the confirmation that one has seen a named tusker.
That's why I often ask for large format pictures to find the details.
I promised to be honoust as good as possible with ID'ing even I have to disappoint someone.

But....it's a motivation to look out for the named ones and potential ones during next trips... :)

Post subject: Re: Babalala Area
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm 

Gilbertr14
I added the pics of the one with the broken tusk to my database , the other one is also not known by me.
maybe you can send his pics too ?

For your interest (all) I have about 8 different one-tuskers in my database , mainly seen in the north (mopani and up) and some look after each other but individual differences.

The one with the broken tusk is an interesting one to put on the tusker site... thick and large tusk(s) , inclusing the broken one.

Someone said...must hurt... no , it doesn't hurt since their are no nerves in the tusk...it's just not nice for the bull , missing some extra help with digging etc....
Depending on the way it is broken and the location it can cause problems.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat,
Firstly, thank you for your honesty. We are all on a learning journey and found it enriching. :clap: We really appreciate you guiding us with what to look out for. Disappointed? Not at all.
Secondly, please be assured of our commitment to keep looking and share pics of these great gentle giants
with you and others. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am 

To add to Val's pic of Ngonyama on pg 190

Our pics, same sighting, near Phalaborwa S131.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
100ponder,
Hi my friend... Really a nice puzzle. Although it is not impossible I doubt it is Ngonyama. Struggling with his tusks.... ad the locations. I was looking for an alternative option and think it could be Madolo because of the length and shape of the tusks and location. On the picture it is difficult to see if the tusks are widely spread like with Ngonyama and the left tusk doesn't look curved upwards.
Can't ID him with being 100% sure.

I know this is over a month later, but I've just got back to the Big Tusker pages and have been reading through them and I have a query. Aat you thought this tusker might be Madolo. I have quite a few pics of Madolo and his tail has very little hair on it. This particular tusker to whom you refer has quite a lot of long hair on the end of the tail. My question is, does the hair grow back, or would the lack of hair in my pic, which was taken in 2010 confirm that this was, in fact, not Madolo?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 pm 

Salamanda,
Actually I think it was not Madolo. As far as I know the tail hair will not come back again. I thought it might have been a possibility looking at the area but could not see the reguired details.
I think in future I better say "can't ID him" , guessing is not the right thing to do. :)

salamanda wrote:
Aat wrote:
100ponder,
Hi my friend... Really a nice puzzle. Although it is not impossible I doubt it is Ngonyama. Struggling with his tusks.... ad the locations. I was looking for an alternative option and think it could be Madolo because of the length and shape of the tusks and location. On the picture it is difficult to see if the tusks are widely spread like with Ngonyama and the left tusk doesn't look curved upwards.

I know this is over a month later, but I've just got back to the Big Tusker pages and have been reading through them and I have a query. Aat you thought this tusker might be Madolo. I have quite a few pics of Madolo and his tail has very little hair on it. This particular tusker to whom you refer has quite a lot of long hair on the end of the tail. My question is, does the hair grow back, or would the lack of hair in my pic, which was taken in 2010 confirm that this was, in fact, not Madolo?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
Salamanda,
Actually I think it was not Madolo. As far as I know the tail hair will not come back again. I thought it might have been a possibility looking at the area but could not see the reguired details.
I think in future I better say "can't ID him" , guessing is not the right thing to do. :)

salamanda wrote:
Aat wrote:
100ponder,

Well Aat you did only say it might be Madolo which seems fair enough to me, and actually that makes it more interesting because everyone then goes to their pics or your website to see!! :lol: Thanks for answering my question :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 am 

As promised @ the Val & Duggie meet....

453 by Graeme and Nicky, on Flickr

460 by Graeme and Nicky, on Flickr

503 by Graeme and Nicky, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:27 pm 

Hi,
Nice pics.... but can you add location and when you saw this possible tusker.
Looks like Makhadzi to me , he "lives" in the Letaba area and north direction Mopani.

[quote="Graeme & Nicky"]As promised @ the Val & Duggie meet....

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:16 am 

Hi Aat,

We saw him on the Tropic of Capricorn loop(S143)
at the Tihongonyeni Water hole.

This was over the Christmas period of 2010.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm 

Graeme and Nicky,
Well, I can confirm it was Makhadzi. :)

Graeme & Nicky wrote:
Hi Aat,

We saw him on the Tropic of Capricorn loop(S143)
at the Tihongonyeni Water hole.

This was over the Christmas period of 2010.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:04 am 

Thank you for the confirmation :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Can anyone tell me if this ellie is a known tusker?

I saw it in June last year on the H7 (in the Timbavati river bed) - Aat, if you are reading this, I mentioned it to you when we met that day at Croc Bridge last December but it has taken till now to track the photo down and post it (I am FINALLY preparing my June 2012 TR!!!)

Thanks all you Tusker experts!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 pm 

WendyA
Yes I remember you told me about it... that it took a bit longer no problem ... women are never on time :lol: :lol: :lol:
But a bit more serious... there are two named female tuskers, MaMerle and MaTrix and this one you presented is not one of these two.
I like to add this female tusker to the site as a new named one, thinking of MaTimba (a bit in line with the other two female tuskers)
If you are able to do this, please can you send the pics in larger format to my tusker address?
tuskers@zeelandnet.nl
Then I will add her to the site
Great sighting and great to have a new female tusker :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"]Can anyone tell me if this ellie is a known tusker?

I saw it in June last year on the H7 (in the Timbavati river bed) - Aat, if you are reading this, I mentioned it to you when we met that day at Croc Bridge last December but it has taken till now to track the photo down and post it (I am FINALLY preparing my June 2012 TR!!!)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Aat!

HOW EXCITING that we've got a new tusker! MaTimba - lovely!!!

I will definitely send you the pics in larger format to your tusker address later this evening.

Many thanks for your help. This has made my day - I will have a constant, silly, "new tusker" smile on my face all day!!!

:D :D :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 203  Next