Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lions in the new picnic site?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:11 pm 

Thanks Marilize,

I will defnitely spend time in the new picknic area. Just two more weeks!! :dance:

June 2013
23 + 24 Kalahari Tented Camp
25 + 26 Mata-Mata Restcamp
27 - 30 Nossob

Post subject: Re: Lions in the new picnic site?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 pm 

Enjoy !! :lol: :lol: :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: New picnic site in Addo Elephant National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:11 am 

Hi Megan,

Can you let us know when SANPark plans to open tenders for the shop in Jacks picnic site. I have had my eye on the shop space since the picnic spot opened and have sent emails and even met with the Addo camp Manager but get no responses or news regarding when the tender to host this shop will go out. Is there any news in this regard?

I see SANParks has the guy in the camp keeping detailed stats on day visitors etc, is there a certain allotted time frame for stats to be collected before a tender goes out? The shop is already starting to get old and doors are becoming damaged. This means that before shop can be set up maintenance will need to be done. It is rather sad to see it takes so long to get a store going.

Any info you can provide on this topic would be great.

I am hoping to tender on this spot to start a community powered eco friendly / 100% green picnic pitstop shop. I sure hope the tender process will not be delayed much longer.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Simon,
I will refer your query to Park Management.
Regards,

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:57 pm 

Thank you for the feedback Megan ;-)

I await to hear from management.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 pm 
Guru
Guru

simonB wrote:
Can you let us know when SANPark plans to open tenders for the shop in Jacks picnic site.

Park management is currently investigating the best and easiest possible means to put this shop out on tender. They will forward you the bid once it is out in the market and it will be be available on the SANparks website as all is usual policy.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:06 pm 

Thank you for the feedback Megan.

My thinking is that the easiest would be to let an outside company tender on running the shop, but let the people who currently sit in the picnic spot work in the shop. Local employment is vital and it would be sad to see someone come in and bring in non local staff.

Also having a 100% green shop, using no electricity or only solar power would be something awesome to have. Since most businesses have an evil carbon footprint.

Anyway I look forward to getting the tender when it becomes available and tendering on this project.

Thanx again for your feedback.

Kind regards

SimonB

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:09 pm 

Having a shop at Jack's would be great - hope it happens soon- and good luck with your tender when it happens simonB

Post subject: Addo: Jacks Place
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:57 pm 

Sanspark did a splendid job planning and making Jacks Place a pleasant experience to picnic or braai and my wife and I have spent many relaxing moments there. It is always kept very clean and the staff keeps it that way. Alas all good things come to an end and last week was not relaxing at all to have a picnic.
I am amazed by the different species that now come and beg for food, from the tiniest mouse to the vervet monkeys and the monkeys have turned it into a nightmare to eat, a large male will snatch food from anyone because he has no fear of us.
What can we do to stop them, I was given a stick to chase them away which does help a little also I threw some small stones at them which worked as well I did think of one of these water guns that shoot a strong jet of water but are we allowed to use them.
The other thing I thought of can they be captured and relocated into some other far away spot. Obviously it is an offence to harm any animal but sometimes I feel like ringing their necks. People have been so stupid (and I feel like ringing their necks to) in feeding these monkeys that they have spoilt it for others now what was a great place is becoming a fight as to who gets the food first.

Post subject: Re: Jacks Place
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shoot with a ketty at them, but not at them just next to or in front of them it scares them off chop chop they wont try their luck again its the only way to chase them without harming them, as for relocating them I dont know if that would work they'd just in my opinion do what they do now somewhere else as theyve now gotton used to recieving food and not looking for it anymore

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:20 am 
Guru
Guru

Park Management has done everything they can at Jacks. There are purposely no bins and staff regularly address people regarding the feeding of these animals. Translocation does not work, unfortunately. We have tried it and these animals become someone else's problem. The only thing left to do will be to physically remove the monkeys from the picnic area, which has been actioned.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 pm 

We always clean up the area and the only animal that benefits from us picnicking there are the small striped rodents that are after the crumbs. It is regrettable that the monkeys had to be removed and hopefully it was not only my complaint that caused this because I would hate to think it was just me who caused their demise. I would have thought that relocating them to a isolated area but still in the park would have solved the problem. I am extremely sorry to hear they were ''removed''

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi jad

These decisions aren't made lightly, and every other angle is first explored before the final decision is made. No, we have had numerous incidents of a similar nature reported, so please don't take it personally.

Regards,
Fay

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:36 pm 

we were here last week for a braai.

The planning of the picinic site is perfect and gives alot of privacy to families. :thumbs_up:

monkeys birds and mice decided to try and join us. a bird actually flew on to a plate and took some potato salad!

monkeys were not like this previous visits, this time they reminded me of kruger always looking for a chance to come and grab.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 pm 

HI there, first time visit to Addo - is there gas/skottel facilities at the Picnic area?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next