Skip to Content

Tsitsikammma: ANIMALS and BIRDING

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness

Tsitsikammma: ANIMALS and BIRDING

Unread postby Owl » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:03 am

Those folk, visiting the Southern Cape, and not knowing about the wonderful birding potential of Nature's Valley (De Vasselot) in Tsitsikamma National Park should read a nice submission by Michael Buckham on a morning's birding there on 26 December '04. This can be found under public sightings (other national parks) under information for: Birders (on the left hand navigation column). More information can be found on the same pages under park bird accounts for Tsitsikamma.

Tsitsikammma Animals

Unread postby mreggi » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:32 pm

Hi there ,
I will come on next february on Tsitsikamma National park and I would like to stay in a camp where is most probable to see otters nearby.
Can you give me few names?

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildjohn » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:51 pm

Storms river mouth is best, though De Vasselot section to west may also be good near Natures Valley. The walking of 5 day Otter trail is still best bet for seeing one as one covers whole coast on foot.

The density is one otter / 2 km coastline. You are lucky to see them. Best times is early mornings.

Otters at Storms River Mouth

Unread postby BDM CAPE TOWN » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:16 am

Hi There

There is a stream that enters the sea between the 2 sections of the caravan park at Storms River Mouth. I have spotted an Otter there twice and my folks who camped there recently said it could be seen almost every day early in the morning.
Frena pro feris teneo. Kruger March 2015

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A Birding blast and beauty

Unread postby Wildman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Just want to add and fully agree to what was said previously in this thread!
This National Park surely provides some of the most fantastic birding opportunities in SA!
I have seen the majestic Knysna Lourie on several occasion in this park and plenty other great bird sightings
Of course whale and dolphin watching is also excellent from the numerous lookout points in the park.
This is the Law o’the Jungle,as old&as true as the sky;The Wolf that shall keep it prospers,the Wolf that shall break it dies;the Law runs forward and back
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,&the strength of the Wolf is the Pack

Return to “Garden Route Parks”