Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Brown hyena - rare sighting?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:02 pm 

Sunday 2 October 2011, 17h47 my wife and I spotted a brown Hyena near Crocodile Bridge. It crossed the road from the West and moved in the direction of the river. It is a full grown hyena with fairly long hair, peak condition. Is this a rare sighting as it is the first time we saw one in Kruger.

Post subject: Re: Brown hyena - rare sighting?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:10 pm 

Welcome to the forum Oribie.

It is a very rare sighting and quite a lot of time has been dedicated on this forum speculating whether they actually exist in Kruger. Nobody has been able to produce a picture as evidence so far.

Do you perhaps have one, to clear up this myth once and for all?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:53 pm 

Unfortunately I do not have a photo but I am convinced that they are in in Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am 

Hey guys. I was one of the believers that there are no brownies in Kruger. That was untill Dec 2011. We drove from Afsaal to Crocodile Bridge via S25. And honestly saw a brownie. Unfortunately the sighting was over in about 3 seconds as it was on the move. so by the time we managed to stop and reverse, the sighting was over.

We have seen in in Pilansberg as well, where it was struggling with a Leopard over a kill. Guess who won?

Well we did, as we came around the bend, both of them ran of in different directions leaving the kill in the road.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm amazed at the number of people who won't believe that brown hyaenas occur in Kruger unless presented with photographic evidence.

Brown hyaenas have been seen several times in the Makuleke CNP, on all occasions by professional safari guides. Do you really think they are making things up?

With the advent of digital photography, pictures no longer provide uncontroversial proof, they can be doctored at will. I'd much rather take the word of a reliable observer.

It is, however, quite possible that brown hyaenas are transient in the area, I have yet to see one, despite having spent well over 100 nights at Pafuri Camp.

Spotted hyaenas are also rarely seen, even though they are heard often and their spoor is all over the place. Sightings have recently improved considerably though, both in the Makuleke CNP and on the S63.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just to refresh - from page 2 ...

Authentic enough to share with Kruger staff ...

Sent: 17 September 2002 10:50 AM
To: KNP-Rangers; KNP - Research; KNP - Hospitality Managers; KNP - Regional Managers; CIS (Corporate Investigation Services)
Cc: Wouter Jordaan; Phineas Nobela; Marc Mcdonald; Leon Serfontein
Subject: BROWN HYAENA

Dear all

... on sunday night at 19h00, while we were returning from Lanner Gorge from the West via pafuri gate. Approximately 5km East of the pafuri gate running towards us was the most magnificent specimen of a large Brown hyaena. Due to its size I assume it could be a female. It was in excellent condition, I could not find a scratch on its face from 30m. It ran in the road for around 30 sec, before it turned and vanished into the bush, its long hair flowing in the wind as it ran away from us.

This is only the second 'wild' Brown Hyaena I have seen, the first being at Venetia Limpopo reserve. Wilbert Von Voort said he thought he saw one two years ago in the Nyalaland trails area, and Dr. Gus reckons there have only been six other sightings (records) in his time in the park. Gus, please correct me if I am wrong.

Could they be moving in and out the area, due to positive change in water policy (Pienaar/Mills)? An opinion which I believe is valid, especially long term.

The Spotted 'brother' does occur in the area but their numbers are not too high, however they are the dominant predator in the Pafuri, while the lion population is minimal.

The Nyalaland area and blocks 12 & 13 (East of the Tar road) are so vast with little human movement and no roads, that their could be more of these hyaena walking around out there. There areas of movement are so massive and number density low that it is hard to tell for sure.

Hope you find this e-mail of interest.

Anyway, it was a privilage to see this rare specie in Kruger, and welcome any other resposes, especially from the old hands in the 'bush' park.

greetings

R. Thomson

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

okie wrote:
ndloti wrote:
I am confident that I saw one fleetingly in the spring of 1987 on the northern S52 loop while travelling westwards a few km before Shangoni turnoff .
Yeah Ndloti , and with the old brownie box-cameras of those days , I suppose a quick mik-and-druk shot would have been out of the question :hmz: :whistle:

You may know the area I mentioned , there is a slight incline so there was a good "depth of field" , there are a lot of rocks and I saw it for perhaps 3 seconds at a distance of around 200m , it was running in the same general direction on the right side of the road about 30 degrees to the right of the direction of travel , before it loped out of sight behind a rocky outcrop , the lope was very similar to that I have seen described , and in case there is doubt , it was larger than an aardwolf , the size of which I am familiar with .
There was insufficient time to stop and prepare and take a photo with a Canon AE1 Progam loaded with Fuji slide film .
(The time spent at Shingwedzi was followed by a sojourn to the Olifants wilderness trail , the trails ranger was Bruce Chapman who was rather tired of trails at the time as he had completed 5 trails in sucession without a break as he had been to America to attend a congress on wilderness areas , his colleague had been on duty for 4 weeks continuously while he was there , thus his extended period of duty . It was while travelling in to the camp that we overheard Sanparks personnel , who were at the time building the Metsi Metsi trails camp , conversing about building material requirements over the 2 way radio in the vehicle.)

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Confirmed Brown Hyena sighting in Kruger with photo
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Those who say there are no Brown hyena in Kruger ... come have a look see 8)
Those who asked for photographic proof ... see it now 8)

Thenews of the forum fund raiser 'The Brownie Challenge' has spread far and wide :dance: It is due to this that I laid my eyes upon a most encouraging email telling me who I should contact for proof of BH in Krugz :dance: :dance:

It is with great joy that I eventually got an email with this picture from Robert Spaan, an ex Sanparks employee who saw this brown hyena while working in Kruger!!

I'll quote some of the email here:
Quote:
Hi James,

On the morning of the 2nd of December 2010 at approximately 05:38 while tracking buffalo to recapture myself, my wife and the vet working with us spotted this Brown Hyena streak over the road. It ran behind a stand of knobthorns but I managed to get off a quick shot of poor quality as it stopped for a second and turned and looked back. It then took off for to the east. I’ve deleted the emails I sent to scientific services with exact GPS coordinates but I can tell you that the siting took place on the Lindanda Rd about a kilometer or two before junction with the Trichardt Road. I reported the incident to the section ranger of Tshokwane (Mr. Steven Whitfield) and scientific services (Nick Zimbatis who agreed with the identification and passed it on to Gus Mills who also agreed with the identification). They may also still have the GPS coordinates if you require them. I also spent a fair amount of time observing brown hyena in the Waterberg while working there and can tell the difference between a brown hyena and an aardwolf which is often other people’s argument.

If anyone wants this man's credentials to check up on him, drop me a PM and I'll provide :thumbs_up:

So there you have it!!!!!!!
Brown Hyena IN KRUGER :dance: :dance: :dance:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post subject: Re: Confirmed Brown Hyena sighting in Kruger with photo
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, this is enough proof. :thumbs_up:
I saw one during my first visit to KNP on the low water bridge at Balule, August 1967.

What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:46 pm 

:D Thanks cheetah2111 :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:04 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Bush Baptist wrote:
t was not seen on a tourist road - meaning not where you and I could see it.

Read again Oom. Ran across the S35 ... a tourist road

Bush Baptist wrote:
It is not recent. (Why did it take 2.5 years to surface?)

It surfaced immediately. The person who told me to contact Robert got the email in Dec2010 ... he was a ranger in Kruger at the time and Robert Spaan forwarded this news to colleagues.

Bush Baptist wrote:
It was not seen by a forumite or other tourist.

That is indeed so. Although I thought the debate over the forums was whether or not there are BH in Kruger? If that is the case, who saw it is neither here nor there. Tourist Kruger road - BH sighting with photo

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
It is generally a quiet road the Lindanda (S35)
Perhaps that is a clue to where one might find BH's in the Kruger :hmz: High predator densities are said to be a reason for their disappearance from Kruger in the first place :hmz:
It also happens to be near the Eastern Moz border of the Park ... might be another clue that they perhaps stray across the borders :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lets face it Brownies are secritive animals. On our farm (part of Mapungubwe) we know they are there and the staff as seen them on occasion but we have seen more leopard than Brownies ourselves.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
Tourists cannot legally be near Tsokwane on the Lindanda road at early morning or late afternoon ... so who knows how frequently BH are trotting around the Lindanda area ... :hmz: Still I bet your chances of seeing poachers on the S35 are better than the odds of seeing a BH :whistle:

Well done cheetah2111 !
I booked my place and hoped to see it , but was unlucky .
At least I experienced the area without seeing another tourist vehicle for the first 2 hours after leaving my enclosure .

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
Tourists cannot legally be near Tsokwane on the Lindanda road at early morning or late afternoon ...
That depends on the time of year.

If you leave Skukuza, Satara or LS at 4.30 a.m. November-January, you can hit the Lindanda at what I would describe as early morning.

Johan