Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Auto Rental advice needed
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm 

Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards the K class I think... still difficult to decide. 2 years ago we had a Corolla which was fine but since we will be there 17 days this time we are thinking it would be nice to have a bit more height and comfort. Last year (not in Kruger) we had a iX35 and one thing I didn't like was the passenger side seat could not be adjusted and sat really low. Did you have that too iLoveMeerkats! ? I had to sit on a pillow. Maybe if we go for the K class I will try and request the Koleos or Sportage. We will be only 2 people.
If we go with the O class I could try and request the Qashqai. I saw one here today and it looked nice, I have never seen an Avanza.

That would be fun to run into you iLoveMeercats !

Post subject: Re: Auto Rental advice needed
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:50 pm 

I didn't notice the seat being too low (and i am short), but I generally sit in the back seat with the cameras - bouncing from the left side to the right. We have had some cars where the backseat windows didn't go all the way down and that is a huge problem for photography...but I can't recall if that was the Hyundai. I know the Koleos was perfect and I hope to get that again. It had built-in gps which was really fun as we marked our sightings. Only took about a month to figure that out. :wall:

I must say that we have not had much response from avis when it comes to asking for a particular car. They give you whatever they have. :( The cars change a bit each year, so you can't always compare what you got a year or two ago. They get you with that Hyundai OR SIMILAR thing. This time, we are going to have the car for 42 days so if it is awful, I just might see if I can change it. Wish me luck.

Post subject: Hire car - info needed for foreigner
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 am 

I am trying to hire a car or mini van mostly for 8 days in KNP. We are a group of 5 including my 6'4" daughter - no small cars for us !

I have been looking at carhire company web pages but can not find out about WINDOWS that OPEN.

I have been recommended a Hyundai H1, but we do not have that model here so I can not compare. The similar size van here does not have opening back windows. (just a one sided flap thing)

So can some of the locals please advise me - does the H1 have proper windows, if not, what could you recommend.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hire car - info needed for foreigner
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
So many of these larger type 7 seaters have stupid back windows I was looking in the local Car magazine and they dont tell you much but i am sure some mites out there are more clued up than I am.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:36 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Dijo,

On the Hyundai website they have the back windows indicated as "swivelling".

My dad has a VW Combi and the windows next to the second row open completely, but the windows next to the third row don't.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Dijo
The only van with kind open window in the back is the Quantum 10-Seater Bus
(rented one last year for 6 adults)
Has one slidding window on each side for the passengers
Not much but still better then other brands

And has enough storage space

http://www.toyota.co.za/VehicleRange.as ... RangeId=10

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:47 am 

Hi Dijo. I rent Hyundai H1's on a weekly basis for business, and there are "hatch" type windows, in both the sliding doors. They are fairly small, but can open completely, and are certainly big enough for a camera lens, so the people sitting in the second row of seats are not completely "locked in". The windows right at the back (next to the back row of seats) are of the "swiveling" type.
The H1 is indeed ideal for 5 people, very roomy inside and with lots of luggage space. I would rent the H1 any day over the 10-seater Quantum, which is much more basic inside, and because of the 10 seats (which you don't need) it has very limited luggage space.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Dijo

The H-1 is (as far as i can tell) the South African equavalent of the i-Max.

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
KNP March 2014: Tamboti, Olifants, Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:29 am 

Thanks for advice

I looked at the Australain i-max - and that is where my next big panic started - ...
- The driver and front pasenger have normal windows
- the first row of back seat have little flap windows that only open about 15cm, and you definately can not get you head out and smell the bush
- no windows for the third row.

It is the flap windows that worry me - do the H1 in SA have flap windows ? or sliding windows like the old Kombi. Need to get all the fresh air into the car

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:57 pm 

Hi Dijo. The H1 has "Hatch" windows on both sides of the second row. These windows are fairly small (probably about 30cm by 30cm), but they can slide open completely, so you will have plenty of fresh air.

Post subject: CAN YOU HIRE/ORDER A PROPER SPARE WHEEL?
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:54 pm 

Most of today's cars come with a slightly small spare wheel (donut) which is not intended to drive for long distance in them. I am not even sure they are fit for driving on corrugated gravel roads with lots of elephants dung!. In an event of a flat or damaged tyre one can, hopefully and safely, replace it with the proper size tyre and carry on to the next destination without worrying too much.
I am wondering is it possible to hire a full size spare wheel for the rented car from (Avis) and how much would it cost?
Thank you very much.

Post subject: Re: CAN YOU HIRE/ORDER A PROPER SPARE WHEEL?
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
The answer is simple, NO. Enquire from the rental companies first if their vehicles have got a full size spare wheel, instead of the Marie biscuit wheels that some vehicles have.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:20 pm 

You should be able to get a second spare but you'll probably need to order it in advance. It will be on the list of optional extras that comes with the booking form.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 pm 

In January this year we discovered that after approximately 6 days of driving around Kruger that we had a puncture. I’m not sure when this occurred, and I am even more embarrassed that I hadn’t noticed this until I was alerted to the fact by a fellow motorist 10km from Olifants restcamp. :redface:

I can only hope that because of the rutted gravel roads this masked the bumpiness of the ride. I was naturally reluctant to try and change the tyre on the side of the road, and I was also unsure if this would be against park regulations, so we decided to limp back to Olifants where the very efficient mechanic pulled two screws from the tyre and repaired the puncture with that sealing gel that welds the rubber back together (you can tell from this description that I’m no mechanic!).

Anyway, as far as I’m aware there was no spare tyre with the car? I know my car in UK has no spare tyre, only a can of this sealing spray, but I wasn’t sure this was a global thing.

I could not understand how I could have driven all the way from OR Tambo airport and straight into the Kruger without noticing a puncture for nearly a week, but I also don’t believe I could have driven over two screws within KNP. If the mechanic had extracted a porcupine quill or a thorn I could have understood this, but you don’t tend to see many screws lying around in Kruger.

One lesson learned is that I’ll certainly check the pressure of the tyres and availability of a spare wheel a bit more thoroughly next time I hire a car.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16 pm 

I had a Hyundai ix35 (group K) from AVIS last month.
I got a puncture my first morning in the park near Renosterpan. Fortunately those cars DO have a full size spare.
Changed wheels with the help of a couple of kind cars that watched over me (I was alone in the vehicle), drove to Skukuza, saw the AVIS guy and had my punctured (now spare) wheel back the next day after a new tyre was put on at Hazyview.
AVIS at Skukuza were very helpful.
Have a great trip.
iedman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next