Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Garbage separation in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 am 

The Honorary Rangers have gone to great trouble to provide garbage bins at all camps in Kruger. Recent trips to Skukuza and Satara I noted that garbage collection done by Kruger staff carried no appreciation of the bins separating the rubbish into recyclable and non-recyclable rubbish. Both bin bags were put onto the same vehicle and carried no separation of type. Further, the bin handle and trap doors are extremely dirty and need to be cleaned. Is there any way we can educate the staff to understand the importance of garbage separation?

Post subject: Re: Garbage separation in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 am 

Welcome to the forums, Deckhand :D

Please see Recycling Project in Skukuza... misleading window dressing? and Lesego's and Wacktazz's posts here
Lesego wrote:
We only have one truck collecting all our refuse. The bags are collected sealed to the dumping site and this makes it easier for the guys there to separate the bags as the plastics/ refuse are already separated.
and here
wacktazz wrote:
Yes, and then there, is a group of very, very faithfull people who sorts out the rubbish. What many will not know, is that cans has been recycled for the past many, many years. There is a company that donated a truck to take said cans for recycling on a weekly basis.
Well done to the guys who stand in the blistering sun day in and out to sort out our rubbish. I salute you

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I have had to take refuse bags from bush camp to the dump on several occasions and see the work being done there in separating out recyclables. The bins in the camp are not a fail-safe method, but do make the process at the dump a bit easier for the workers.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:23 pm 

So what we are all saying in different words is that the Honorary Rangers project of funding and supplying fancy bins separating garbage is a fast to the public! Garbage separation takes place out at the dump site ? Correct?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The bins is the first step in a much bigger project being implemented which will eventually lead to a total waste separation and recycle management system across the entire park. This will ensure the most effective waste management system possible. It will also create new jobs for the local community.

It is a process to implement this. It does not come cheap nor easy as the technology and infrastructure need to be provided. Transport is another challenge given the size of the park. But solid progress has already been made.

A big challenge is changing people's habits. This is perhaps the most difficult part of the project.

Correct use of the bins (by both staff and visitors) will be really helpful and ease the process. When the sorters open up a bag and it is already containing only recyclables, it eases the process considerably. But this is only the first step. There is a whole system behind it. They still need to sort the various recyclables from each other i.e. glass, plastic, paper.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:40 am 

A very important first step :thumbs_up: