Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 8 of 9
 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: B.B.B.B.B.B
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My apologies folks, but I have been rather busy busy, too busy to have enough time to continue as I would have liked. Only popped in here for a few minutes the other day and before I knew it, I had to leave.
I mentioned another one of my highlights of this trip.
It looked like-taken in a state of heightened excitement.

Now the problem-Do I go a little faster and try and catch up with them, or just carry on slowly so as not to frighten them and they go off on a canter? Decisions decisions :lol: !

In the end, I decided I would slowly creep up on them and hope for the best. 3 Males, on a mission to nowhere, and in a hurry too. They hardly stopped, ignored a very excited Noel, as I had not seen Cheetah in a while in the park, and was getting ever more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: at the sightings of these magnificent creatures. Today was my turn, and I thanked the Good Lord that I had chosen to stick to the tar roads, and this was my reward. Except, as I said, they were in a hurry to get nowhere, so I had to take a couple of quick pics.

And disappeared as quickly as they had appeared

I was the only car, and another car arrived just as they disappeared, and I told them-the driver was rather nonchalant about cheetah's, saying he has seen one up towards Satara. Ah well!

I remember thinking "what a wonderful trip this has turned out, as I had seen all 3 the big cats, plus a Caracal and kitten and wild dogs. As complete a trip as one could possibly hope for. I was very thankful that I had seen Cheetah. A very happy chappy proceeded towards Leeupan.

At Leeupan I met the local Tyre tread inspector, checking that all tyres left more than 1 mm of tread in the mud.

A thorough inspections it was too!

Last edited by noel on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Besides that inspector, there was nothing much at Leeupan (again :tongue: referring to the fact that there was no leos at the pan) except of course the bird life, which is as always enjoyable.

Nkumbe was decidely ooking gloomy

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moving along towards Lower Sabie, this bird was a delight to see again, especially after I blew it on an earlier occasion.

And this bird caused a bit of a traffic jam as it sat in a tree. Seems everybody was getting a bit desperate in this rainy weather. Everybody stopping for what everybody else was stopping for. A martial Eagle I think, Juvenile.

And on that note its a good night.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Folks, my apologies for the slow rate of this TR-so unlike me. Just been to busy, and now laid low with a bout of Bronchitus too. Just a quick post before I hit the sack, sleep always good for recovery from these maladies.

Travelling still towards Lower Sabie, and I am again stopped by a friendly gentlemen, in a foreign accent, "lions at Muntshe mountain" is what he said. Mmmm, never heard of Muntshe mountain before? But I figured it has something to do with Muntshe Loop and the mountains around there. So off I trundled. Let me say also that whoever thought that the good old friendliness and camaraderie in Kruger Park no longer exists, has got it wrong. This was the 3rd gentleman on this trip who stopped to tell me about lions. It is alive and well! Or perhaps I jsut looked desperate :tongue:
Sure enough there were lions at Muntshe Mountain. Seems they were a bit youngish. And it was not raining :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

An hour or so of free time, so let me get another dose in here.
Next sighting I have grown to appreciate so much more after I read the thread by Duke about these amazing birds. Wonderful sighting and could not but wonder how far these have traveled already, and how much more they will still travel? Or will they get caught? I am of course referring to Amur Falcons, and I was blessed to see a sizable flock of them closer to Lower Sabie. Restless most of the time, but some of them did settle for a few moments and gave opportunity for a shot or two. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And then another mini traffic jam, closer to Lower Sabie. And yes, you guessed right-another raptor, except this one was on the ground, and had obviously decided that the "Bum Shots" thread needed a bump on the Forum.

It eventually turned around so I could get a better view of its profile-Tawny Eagle I think

Hippo "Mistaken Identity"= they're a bit rough for Hippo. :redface: :doh: :lol: (no confessions now please :whistle: )

This is more like it

Here's me feeling sorry for myself after that embarrassing shot

But a giant Kingfisher will always cheer me up.

And a lone Buffalo

Sunset Dam was like a graveyard-quiet and virtually lifeless. Except for that menace

And the ever present Yellow Billed Stork.

And so I move on towards Skukuza and Lake Panic for my last visit.
Cheerio for now.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

En route to Skukuza- Another Oh Oh moment.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, we are getting to the end of this TR, though I do have an addendum which I will add at the end of the TR-more about that later. Lake Panic it is, for my last visit, and this can be such a blow as I love this place, and having to leave it after a short while is quite painful. Today it is quiet, all the regulars are there, like the Herons, kingfishers, but an eerie silence seems to mark the place. The Jacana's and Black Crakes are there too, and they always provide some action.
But before I arrrive, this Carmine Bee Eater was there to greet me on one of the power lines

Whatever this thing is, (I suspect the bulb from one of the water lilies) it provided some entertainment, as first the Jacana inspected it, and later the Black Crake.

And a Juvenile Green Backed Heron skulking in the shrubs.

Lovely to see a black Crake in the trees for a change.'

But it soon came down for an inspection of that bulb.

This Dragonfly was looking resplendent.

The Grey headed Heron showed a brief moment of interest in that Bulb, but did nothing. Perhaps it was the same one that "speared"one of these bulbs in my last TR.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some of the other suspects

The Wasp Nest had grown by a few more members :big_eyes:

As I said, Lake Panic had an eerie calmness today, and allowed for some lovely reflection shots. Here are a few.

And the beautiful Water Lilies -

Good night

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With a heavy heart I leave Lake Panic and head for Numbi Gate, stopping as I usually do at Sunset Dam, Shitlave Dam and doing the Napi Boulders road. Here are some of the sightings.
This Chameleon caught me at the wrong moment when it comes to focus-the heart to heavy right now.

Another one of those "I Like" moments

They had some guests- the kind I really like.

A waterbuck at an otherwise quiet Transport Dam was trying to hide

A Carmine Bee Eater came to cheer me up.

Just a bit slow for his flight

The Buffalo Weavers were their usual busy bodies.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A Comorant came for a quick visit

A caterpillar with a strange tail was hiding from some imaginary bird

And a Brown hooded Kingfisher also paid a short visit, not really a photo opportunity.

And it's off to Napi boulders road. where I am blessed with this sighting, which I think is a Juvenile Forest Buzzard. Lovely bird!

In its forest setting

At last, a couple that were not having a dispute :dance: :dance: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And the last for this trip.
Shitlave Dam was even more quiet than Lake Panic. Not even the waterbuck were around.
There were the flowers

The insects

The wasp- Wish I had had this more in focus.

And closer to the gate, I am accosted by a young woman all on her own, telling me frantically about the chameleon on the road. Not that I would have harmed it. But nice to know there are others who care, and she was'nt a forumite. If she was, she was not wearing a YR.

And the last bird of the trip-appropriately, that delightful bird

And it was out the gate, pack everything in the boot, stop for a take-away dinner in Whiteriver, and safe trip back to Johannesburg and I am am thankful to the Good Lord for watching over me and taking me there safely.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ADDENDUM

Thank you all dear folk for your kind comments. I mentioned that I would add something to the end of this trip and this is how it goes.
A good friend of mine was going to do some training in Hazyview, and somewhere along the way in our interaction, he (knowing my love for Kruger) suggested that possibly we could include a day or two together in the Park, extending his time there, and I would be able to enjoy more time there. He knew I would be visiting the Park in January, but nevertheless made the suggestion, and of course I would be delighted. I would drive us down and he would arrange the accommodation, and I would be free to visit the Park while he did the training every day. Do I need to say that I jumped at the opportunity? Well, it did not pan out that way, what with cancellations of parts of the training, and a few other mishaps, we eventually only got to stay in Hazyview 1 night, and I could not get away from the training either. The second day was a bit better as I was able to get away for..... 4 Hours. 1 Hour for travelling to Pabeni gate and back, which left me with 3 hours in the Park. Do I need to mention that I jumped at the opportunity to be there? :lol: There was of course an added incentive, in that it would be immediately after the recent floods that I had read about so much here on the Forum, and this would give me an opportunity to see the damage, if any, in the southern section of the Park.
The original dates were 22-23 January, about two weeks after I had just been. This then is a report of a 3 hour excursion into the Park. :dance: :dance: Now what does one get to see in 3 hours. I recalled thinking this must be a bit like Crested Val's daily excursions, and Sprocky had a daily in/out report. So a bit of a foretaste of what may happen, when one day, I buy a plot of land right next to Malelane Gate. (dreams are good friends :lol: ) Then we shall have a thread "Noel's addict-satisfying daily dose for Kruger Junkies" :lol:

Well let me start with a pic or two of a part of the the Sabie River (or a tributary I think) at the lodge where the training was held. The flood waters were still raging.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sheenaugh-Lee, you are too funny :lol: .

It was so exciting to be in the Park again after just two weeks, and as usual, I as wondering what I would see first. There was a palpable somber feel to the Park, which I could feel, and probably as a result of the heavy rain just a few days earlier. And of course I hoped for some kind of miracle-seeing the big 5 in 3 hours. It as not to be, not that it matters. I was in my favourite place and that is what matters.

First up-a Kudu- on the shy side

And one of the Big 5-a beauty of an Elephant.

Munching away peacefully, and far away enough from me to be peaceful too

And the Zebra's were also a bit shy

Impala's are never shy

And a beauty of a Tawny-this alone makes it worthwhile to be there as I just love Raptors.

At least the Giraffes had an excuse for not showing their faces-it's called breakfast.

All that in the first half hour :k Kruger was being good to me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And No 2 of the Big 5-a small herd of buffalo.

With a few young ones

My good friend

Someone was in a hurry-for once.

Lake Panic was closed :( , I had so hoped I would be able to visit there. But it was not to be. So headed to Lower Sabie, to check out the bridge at the Junction of the H4-1 and H12.
This incredible sighting :big_eyes: - dedicated especially to Sheenaugh-Lee :lol: I call these photo's "Arachnophobia Nightmare".

Image.

They caused quite a traffic jam too! Well, I never- I've known chameleons to cause a traffic jam, and Giraffes, and Ground Hornbills and all the other suspects- but Spiders :big_eyes: . Well that is Kruger. :k

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next