Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Camping is just great and is often a talking/discussion point between me and SO :dance:
Think about : So close to nature --- just 1 micron thickness of tent material away :big_eyes:
The sounds of nature ----- you can hear your neighbour snoring ( 1 micron thickness tentmatrial away ) :twisted:
Helpful neighbours - he tripped over our tent's guy ropes , pulling out the tent-pegs :naughty:.
Sharing neighbours -- his refrigerator stopped working so we kept his beer cold for him :whistle:
Neighbours who keep all to themselves --- Hmm , especially their beer .
Informative neighbours -- bragged all night about all his sightings :mrgreen:
Friendly families around you -- especially their pesky kids :evil:

Should I say more :hmz:

Hey , lets get back our bungalow :)

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Camping , a big YES vote.
I once made the mistake of staying in a bungalow, what a mistake :wall: , would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick.
The camp sites are a much more friendly place to be as okie has explained so well :thumbs_up:
Lucky for us , that we all have an option to choose.
Happy KRUGERPARKING to all , wherever you may choose to lay your hat.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Isinkwe - just to set the record straight - we do bungalowing :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Being an avid Kruger camper, I decided over the Dec/Jan holidays past to spoil the fam with some bungalow time. Letaba saw us sharing accomodation with bed bugs galore and cocroaches and Skukuza gave us a bungalow right at the noisy shop parking lot. Despite Lower Sabie's EXCELLENT BD3U units, I found myself missing my tent and campsite. I could not hear any night sounds and funny enough I missed the late night trip to the ablutions. Each camp found me taking an envious drive through the camping area.

I love camping in Kruger and no fancy accomodation will change that. Kruger at its best in my humble opinion!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LOL Glen I love the bit on envious campers :D
but its so true what you say, I agree Camping is wayyy better, your so much more involved with the whole feel of nature even the rain and mud doesnt bother me, to wake up and smell that fresh air, hearing the animals even the annoying trips to the ablutions its all part of that great feeling :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

okie
No offence intended to you or anyone else, :redface:
I thought that you explained the camp site pretty well,(in fact I found pretty amusing-been there , done that, experienced it all ) that's exactly what I enjoy about camping in Kruger.
All of what you said, is what exactly what happens in a camp site. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Exactly insinkwe and thats exactly why Us camping addicts keep going back :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Isinkwe , :thumbs_up: Absolutely no offence . I was saying that all with tongue in the cheek :P .
You know , we did do camping , way back , in a previous century , but the old bones are having it hard nowadays :x .
But , every now and then , SO and I talk about it ..... maybe we should camp again , but ...... we just cannot convince ourselves quite enough . :)
But , prices for bungalows are pushing too , so........ :roll:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

okie
Hopefully we can meet up some day in the park. You come to my camp site for a braai. next night we braai with you at your bungalow, that way we both get the best of both worlds :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I have tried everything now from a little 2-man nylon tent in the bush to one of the bigger family bungalows with 3 bedrooms....... Each has its place. It all depends what you want, where you are going, and for how long, and of course how much you can afford to pay!

On the back-pack trails the little tent is mandatory. If I am staying in a camp for just a few days I prefer my bigger nylon tent, with a fair amount of space. But for longer a caravan is great - you have comfort and the tent too, and can be near fences and the bush sounds. If you have to move around a lot though then the bungalows are easier.....no setting up, just open your bag and there you are.

For now it is a newer luxury caravan with my bed only about 2m from the fence......and a gauze-screened window next to my head to slide open and hear the bush sounds all night...... (now must sell the old caravan!)

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Just as a matter of interest - from the recent research done by Trees on behalf of Sanparks amongst visitors 51% (of those who participated in the research) preferred a self catering chalet and 27% preferred camping.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Then Camping is still the way to go yes much less people around so we can hear nature and relax ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 am 

ecojunkie wrote:
I have tried everything now from a little 2-man nylon tent in the bush to one of the bigger family bungalows with 3 bedrooms....... Each has its place. It all depends what you want, where you are going, and for how long, and of course how much you can afford to pay!

On the back-pack trails the little tent is mandatory. If I am staying in a camp for just a few days I prefer my bigger nylon tent, with a fair amount of space. But for longer a caravan is great - you have comfort and the tent too, and can be near fences and the bush sounds. If you have to move around a lot though then the bungalows are easier.....no setting up, just open your bag and there you are.

For now it is a newer luxury caravan with my bed only about 2m from the fence......and a gauze-screened window next to my head to slide open and hear the bush sounds all night...... (now must sell the old caravan!)

I agree , Ecojunkie With camping, the night sounds can be worth 50% of the fun of a trip. And, like at Maroela , the resident Honey Badger entertains the camp every night. Pasop for him !! :naughty: And at the main camps you dont get the elephants breaking down the fence like at Tsendze camp in May 2012 after a camper shone a spotlight in his eyes !
And it nearly happened later again in May 2012 at Maroela when some brightspark shone a spotlight in a passing jumbos eye and he charged the fence. It was about 8.30 pm. Thank goodness he stopped at the fence, made a hell of a trumpet, shook his head a few times and then turned and walked away towards the river. Phew !!!! 2 minutes later all hell broke loose as the jumbo walked into a pride of lions :shock: That lasted for a while but it was sooooo close that it sounded as if both groups were using VERY powerful loudspeakers. Needless to say , when they had gone most campers had a stong cup of coffee laced with 2 tots of scotch to calm the nerves :hmz: Give me camping , anytime provided you have got the basics !!
Oh yes, then last year at Satara in May when 4 lions pulled down a buffalo just outside the fence ......Phew !! Another time , maybe !!

Moose1

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

moose1 wrote:
ecojunkie wrote:

I agree , Ecojunkie With camping, the night sounds can be worth 50% of the fun of a trip. And, like at Maroela , the resident Honey Badger entertains the camp every night. Pasop for him !! :naughty: And at the main camps you dont get the elephants breaking down the fence like at Tsendze camp in May 2012 after a camper shone a spotlight in his eyes !
And it nearly happened later again in May 2012 at Maroela when some brightspark shone a spotlight in a passing jumbos eye and he charged the fence. It was about 8.30 pm. Thank goodness he stopped at the fence, made a hell of a trumpet, shook his head a few times and then turned and walked away towards the river. Phew !!!! 2 minutes later all hell broke loose as the jumbo walked into a pride of lions :shock: That lasted for a while but it was sooooo close that it sounded as if both groups were using VERY powerful loudspeakers. Needless to say , when they had gone most campers had a stong cup of coffee laced with 2 tots of scotch to calm the nerves :hmz: Give me camping , anytime provided you have got the basics !!
Oh yes, then last year at Satara in May when 4 lions pulled down a buffalo just outside the fence ......Phew !! Another time , maybe !!

Moose1

I didnt know about this ellie at Tzendze??or Maroela? As for the kill next to the fence at satara Now that is why I love camping :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next