View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Info for Tents at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:20 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Inside of one of the Skuks tents.

Out of view is the fridge and fan. We used these power points. Just take a 2 pronged adapter if you need one.

heaven, sigh.

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am 

Hi,

Just another question please.
Is there a stove in the LR2W chalets?
And does the limited DSTV mean I need to bring my own smartcard?

Thank you

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Hi Rooster,

There's a hot plate, but no oven.

Limited DSTV means there will be only a limited selection of DSTV channels available. Not sure if your own smart card will work?? Some smart cards need to be matched with the decoder. ( hope that makes sense!!)

Enjoy your stay........ :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 pm 

After checking the availabilty at almost 20 times per day,finally got accomadation at skukuza in GC6 unit,NO 209 ,just wanting to know has anybody stayed in this unit recently,and what is the condition of the unit and space etc.what are the other plus factors to this unit.Have stayed in a GC6D but never in a GC6.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:44 pm 

Hi Shikaari

I have stayed in almost all types of accommodation at Skukuza, from the safari tents to the guest houses and the GC6 definitely has a few good points, but it depends on what one is looking for.

The unit is located between Monis guesthouse and the GC4V units and is on the fence line, which is a major plus over the standard GC6D’s, but it almost looks like 2 x 3 bed bungalows have been joined to make the unit.

The front door faces Monis guesthouse, not the fence line and is the middle of the unit, with a small (compared to the GC6D’s) lounge open plan kitchen as you enter, with the 2 x rooms left and right of the kitchen each with 3 beds. Both rooms have their own toilet/shower/etc.

There is a concrete pathway from the front door down to a small private boma type structure (about 15m) which has a table, chairs and braai area. This is about 10m from the fence.

The unit is very close to Monis, which can be an issue if a noisy bunch has hired Monis (only had this once), but there’s no unit on the right, so one close neighbour and no neighbour.

Hope this helps

Post subject: Skukuza LR2W chalets - which one to choose
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've booked an LR2W chalet for November and have a couple of questions about them. First #96 is next to something on the camp map called 'LION' -- does anyone know what that is?

Also does anyone know which of 93,94,95,96 is closest to the river? I remember many years ago, long before these rondavels were upgraded, being able to hear the river whilst falling asleep, which was magic! I'm wondering whether that is still possible or are all the new/upgraded rondavels set farther back from the riverbank to lessen the chances of flood damage.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject: Re: Skukuza LR2W chalets - which one to choose
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MATTHYS wrote:
Arks, have a look at Gatita's photos here to see the Lion cottage and also for the view and proximity to the river. We were in #96 and I think that #95 might have been a bit nearer to the river than us.

You will also find some other photos and views from the LR2W chalets on this page.

I hope staying there in November will be another magic experience for you 8)

Thanks so much Matthys, that's all very helpful indeed. As I have little time these days for reading TRs, I hadn't seen Gatita's pix and had no idea that "lion" was a cottage!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 am 

Lion Cottage is the closest cottage to the river and has great views. We always book it and love watching the Elephants graze along the river, the Hippos in the morning and evening and the visits by the family of Mongoose. The outdoor area is a bit larger than the rest of the cottages. As Australians, it is one of our favourite spots and is so quiet re human noise in spite of Skukuza being a busy camp.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2014)
The lion cottage is LR2W as well. It is really nice and I think it might even be a little bit bigger than the other ones.

You should send a request to Skukuza asking for it.

In my opinion it even offers more privacy as you only have a neighbour to the left. To the right is the boma which I think is not used that often. We stayed in another one ( I do not remember the number) before and always had people walking by on their way to the river. No problems here.

In front there are some bushes/trees blocking the view from the boardwalk but that means that you do not have a straight but a slightly sideways view of the river.

We did not hear any noise from the restaurant or the parking lot while we were staying there and you do not see them either as the kitchen and trees lie in between.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 pm 

I would also advise booking a unit either to the far right, or left. Lion cottage is well situated, but 96 is also lovely. There is not that much difference in the distance from the river between any of those units. I would consider privacy, and quietness, and shade. If the river is running strongly one will hear it from any of those units. If it is low, I doubt one will hear it.

Renovations to the restaurant should be well completed by November, so there should be no risk of construction noise coming from the right if you do book 96, or the Lion cottage, arks.

The boma is close as mentioned. I have stayed in those units a couple of times, once in 95 and been to a function at the boma. It was, and I assume still will be, managed by the restaurant.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:27 am 

Arcs,
We email and ask for Lion Cottage directly to Skukuza. It is very private with a hedge of thick trees and a brushwood fence on the restaurant side. The restaurant is quite a distance away as is the carpark and we have never experienced noise in the 8 times that we have stayed there - 4 nights each time. People do sometimes walk along the boardwalk but you will see them from any of the cottages and again they have never created noise. We go in May each year and the camp is busy but Lion Cottage is very quiet.
All the riverview cottages are good except for the last one in the line, which is tucked back under the trees. but this could be good in the heat of summer.
The trees near Lion Cottage are full of birds and we do a lot of photography there when we are not driving ourselves around. Also get some good photos of the Elephants, Hippos, Mongoose, Vervet Monkeys and sometimes Buffalo, right from the cottage.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 pm 

This is what Joep Stevens wrote, iLoveMeerkats! :
Joep Stevens wrote:
Dear Grantmissy,

Thanks for the enquiry about Lion Cottage. It was built in 1969 and donated by Lady Bridget Oppenheimer. After the 7 February 2000 floods severly damaged much of Skukuza's riverview cottages as well as ABSA and Monis Guest Houses, Lion was rebuilt in a new design (like the other riverview chalets) on the same footprint as the original Lion Cottage. I remember it to be a quaint little unit, much liked by the guests.

KInd regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Arks - I have stayed in Lion 3 weeks ago. A wonderful chalet, but very near to the boma.

If you are concerned about the noise, you can really request any of the other LR2W's - they all have the same view on the river, maybe even better. Lion has a limited view to the right - bush and trees!!!

Leana

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:12 pm 

I see that Pumbaa rates number 87 as better than the Lion cottage in her current trip report :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi arks

Of all the LR2W we prefer unit 90 and 91 :tongue:
Unit 90 is somewhat more private and 91's view is better....with the old bridge in the background
(With sunset, one can see the baboons settling in for the night on their bridge :lol: )

Both are somewhat sheltered form any potential noise, not too far a walk from the restaurant and a decent view.

Pm me and I can email you some pictures of both :cam:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next