Skip to Content

Updated Nikon Wildlife lens announced

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

Scottm

Updated Nikon Wildlife lens announced

Unread postby Scottm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am

Nikon announced the replacement for the popular 80 - 400 lens with an updated version, now listed as the AF-S NIKKOR 80-400MM F/4.5-5.6G ED VR LENS

While this may prove to be a great lens and an opportunity improve one's glass, I believe that the price is likely to chase many enthusiasts away. Just shy of $2,700.00, it is a huge jump on the previous model used my many amateur wildlife photographers.

Have a look at these links for more insight:
http://photographylife.com/nikon-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6g-vs-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6d
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/05/Nikon-launches-AF-S-Nikkor-80-400mm-4p5-5p6G-ED-VR-telezoom
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Updated Nikon Wildlife lens announced

Unread postby Salva » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 pm

An update very much needed! More expensive yes but probably worth it. I would never have considered the old version mainly because of the slow AF en glass of a lesser quality than most other wildlife lenses. With those two things adapted I think the new lens has become very attractive. Good move by Nikon.
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby timbo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am

Wonder how this new 80-400mm is going to compare to the much loved 100-400mm Canon equivalent. Both lenses need updating, the 100-400mm has been around close to 15 years.

It looks like this lens will be a massive improvement from the previous one.

Perhaps this means an updated 100-400mm?

The price is rather worrying, coming in at $2700 and therefore probably coming in at around the R25-27 000 bracket
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Timbo

I have no doubt that this lens will have to be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT of the lens it replaces. There are, at least for me, a number of concerns and it also brings a number of dilemmas.

Firstly, the MTF graphs indicate that this lens will be superior in terms of sharpness across the range - that is good; Secondly, the VR has been improved, so hand-held will probably be much better; it will still work (how well, nobody yet knows) with a 1.4x extender on the newer Nikon bodies, giving a reach of up to 560mm on FX and equilavent of 840mm on DX bodies;

The downside for me will be the price and I believe that your estimate of R25k - R27k is a bit optimistic if bought here in SA ..... I think you can expect R30k+

But here is the dilema .... What, if any, would be the improvement of this lens over a 70-200mm f2.8 with the associated 1.4x, 1.7x and 2.0x converters attached. Changing converters may be inconvenient, but you do gain the benefit of having a similar reach with a lens that has a fixed, and not variable aperture ...... and that is a huge benefit when dealing with the isolation of a subject in portraiture, AND you can save a chunk of change in the process.....

Personally, for an outlay of R30,000 for a lens, there are a number of other options that provide for a better solution, at least on paper for the moment..... :hmz:

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm

timbo wrote:The price is rather worrying, coming in at $2700 and therefore probably coming in at around the R25-27 000 bracket

:naughty:
Scottm wrote:The downside for me will be the price and I believe that your estimate of R25k - R27k is a bit optimistic if bought here in SA ..... I think you can expect R30k+

:hmz:
As suspected, this lens is available on pre-order from Orms at R36,995.00 :big_eyes:
:whistle:

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby timbo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 am

Scottm wrote:As suspected, this lens is available on pre-order from Orms at R36,995.00 :big_eyes:
:whistle:

The lens price needs to be lowered, that price is to high for the lens and for the customers who are going to be buying that lens
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”