Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bungalow #63 (type BD3U)

View from #63

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

During our trip in January we really enjoyed taking a swim in Letaba's pool, very refreshing after a long ride out. 8)
Here is a pic:

Our family had a late night visit from a huge elephant bull, right next to the fence!. It was about 10m away from us, but when you are standing it feels so much closer.
Branches were snapping and the floor was vibrating whole night long.

:) Leopardspotter

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:17 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

A view around in letaba's F-ring, you can see the shop between the cottages:

Mind you, it's 1.3 MB!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Engelhardt Dam
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:53 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

A close-up:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:15 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Another pano, but watch the size if you're on dial-up!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We spent two nights at Letaba during a recent visit (September 2006). This was our first visit to Letaba. Although it is still rated very high by the forum members as far as favourite main camps are concerned, we’ve got a somewhat neutral feeling about it. Service levels were reasonable (nothing spectacular, but also nothing horrendous to mention), although the cleaning staff was the friendliest we have experienced on the whole trip (except for Talamati).

We asked for specific bungalows beforehand (put in three options) and despite receiving written confirmation that our request will be adhered to, we did not get any of the requested options. Our bungalow (number 45 in block D) was very far from the riverbed and to call it “river view” is IMHO very misleading. Tried as we might, we could not get a different one. Be that as it may, this was not a major train smash for us and we were richly rewarded with a few very special bird sightings, courtesy of some kind of “berry-carrying tree” right in front of our bungalow. The impala lilies also added some refreshing colour to the camp. (see photo).

We did however enjoy all the roads around Letaba very much, despite not spotting anything “serious” from an animal perspective. This was firstly because there was less traffic around but more importantly because we did not see one single jeep jockey in that area. It is also worth mentioning our guide on the night drive at Letaba, namely Kenny. This guide was truly awesome and really proved once again that you don’t need to show them lions / leopards on a night drive to still make it a huge success for the tourists.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:17 pm 

Hi

There are two different sections of tents. There are 2 rows of 4 man tents in the camping area - they have been there for many years.
There is also a row of 2 man tents between the bungalows & the camping area. If it is the 2 man tents then number 19 is very private although it is further to walk to the ablution block.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:08 pm 

I first stayed at Letaba in 1976. I was 19 and it was my first trip to KNP. My next opportunity to visit KNP was in 1981 with SO and 6 month old daughter. We stayed at Letaba and Skukuza.

For some historical perspective, back in those days black people could only stay in circle A, huts 1 to 6 in Letaba. Similarly, we had a small area allocated to us in Skukuza and Lower Sabie and the Balule camp (which had 5 huts). Therefore Letaba was always on our itinerary and is very special to us.

We have seen lion, leopard and cheetah in the area and have plenty of wonderful experiences of seeing huge tuskers and some mock charges and one or two very scary moments. I remember the days when hyena use to patrol the fences as soon as it was dark. Also have wonderful memories of Engelhard dam.

The children spent many a hot afternoon on the lawn alongside circle A, running under the sprinklers to cool off. Now that they are older they do no like Letaba and call it the mopani pit claiming that the mopani hides everything.

On our recent trip my son took these photos in the elephant hall. For those that have not visited the hall it contains all sorts of information on ellies and also tusks of the magnificent seven……..here are three of them

These are the tusks of Mafunyane, "the irritable one"

and this is Kambaku

and Phelwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Letaba Camp..
Ive been there so many times and the excitement of the first sight of the camp is still the same now as what it was many years ago. Coming from Phalaborwa Gate, you 1st see the blue hills in the distance.. then carry on straight at the 4 way stop.. by then you can already see the rooftops and radio masts through the trees.. and then the gate, the trees in the camp giving plenty shade. The campsite used to be just on the right from the gate. There was a resident ellie on the camp site fence for a long time. Taking the gravel road to Olifants, those huge trees and makalani palms (i think).. been there since I can remember.

Post subject: letaba to merge
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Letaba has the Elephant Hall
It is not as busy as Skukuza
Beautiful camp on the river
Roads up north not as busy as the south
You will need to take malaria prophylaxis
Not as much variety of game as around Skukuza but Satara is an easy day drive
Lots of lovely birds

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My two cents worth:

I would never choose Skukuza over Letaba - purely because it is too busy.

As to Satara - gamewise a better option than Letaba, but as you are going in summer I think Letaba is a much better choice. Satara's campground has very little shade and can be very dusty. And believe me, in December/January a shady campsite is much nicer than one without.

Letaba is a beautifull camp with prolific birdlife - in my opinion the nicest camp in Kruger for camping. (Berg-en-Dal a very close second).

Post subject: Re: Letaba safari tent
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:08 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Leopards4all wrote:
My wife and I have managed to get a CTT2 (safari tent) for one night in Letaba in late July, coming from Satara and going on to Shingwedzi.

Does anyone know where those are located on the map?

Letaba used to have 2 and 4 bed safari tents. From the code I will assume that CTT2 is a two bed tent.

When you look at the Letaba map (it is very small and I've asked Admin if they can load larger maps and it is now on there work list). You will notice at the bottom of the map is a green area that depict the camping area. Just above the first green area you will see a little triangle shape and that is where the 2 bed tents are.

Close to the shop, swimming pool and an ablution block. We stayed in those ones and it should be fine for a 1 night stop over. Inside is two single beds, a small bedside table and cupboard. Outside on the "veranda" a table, 2 chairs and a small fridge.

As said it is fine for a 1 night stop over but personally I will not stay in them again for longer than that and definitely not in Junaury when the tents are VERY hot

Post subject: Re: Letaba Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:43 pm 

The reception area at Letaba is presently undergoing a major facelift.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: Letaba Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:15 pm 

Have any forumites stayed at the Guest cottages (FQ6) at Letaba? Any comments/advice would be apprreciated eg proximity to perimeter/view/ best located numbers.
Thanks in advance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next