Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 7
 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger: from south-to-north-and-back
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
It is day 7, 19 Dec’12, and leaving LS for Satara early morning via H10, turning off onto S29 Mlondozi and whilst still half asleep with concentration levels extremely low, we were all suddenly awaken by an appearance from out of the bush :big_eyes: - right in front of us and walking straight at us. It was a rather weary looking lion seemed to have come off second best or should we speculate about how the other one might be looking :doh:. He walked unperturbed by our presence past us (this time with windows closed :) ), crossed the road at the back and disappeared as quickly as he had appeared, into the bush again. Wow, that was an interesting sighting with all now wide awake in the car and adrenalin pumping. This was our 7th lion sighting in as many days in KNP.

The road towards Mlondozi picnic site was quiet with a few giraffe sightings here and there. At the picnic site we rented a gas braai and enjoyed some breakfast whilst overlooking the Mlondozi dam with its extremely low water level and only waterbuck that came down to drink.

Tummies filled, heading north onto H10, went past Nkumbe viewpoint and visited Orpen dam where it was also quiet. On a sad note - I might have lost my 15-55mm lens at this spot (or was it now Ratelpan hide later the day?). For the life of me, I just could not remember, but after unsuccessful enquires at a few camps, I was not confident finding it which limited my opportunity for wide angle shots in close range during our trip. Nevertheless, I managed to have it replaced back in Cape Town. Back onto the H10 a few birds were spotted amongst these two Whalberg eagles in an Apple leaf tree (I hope I have id-ed it correctly). Besides the animals, the trees are also amazing.

Our first sighting of this Southern-carmine bee-eater

Stopping at Kumana dam, this Jacana was nonchalantly riding on the hippo, then on his head and them on the body - enjoying a free hippo ride :roll: .

Then we headed east onto the S125 direction S36, stopping at Muzandzeni picnic spot – a road we have never travelled before, but also with some lion sightings on the camps sighting boards and being hopeful to see sable, we decided to explore the area. The road was interesting to drive with here and there some general game. In reaching the H7 tar road, we were on our way to Satara camp and just in the middle of the S12 and S40 turn-offs, we hit a major road block – giraffe kill with mega lion pride in the bushes. The visiability was not good and someone commented that they have counted about 30 lions since early that morning. (lion sighting no 2 for the day and 8 so far)

Stopping at Ntsemani dam, we spotted 2 hippos with a baby on land. Back home, we got a bbm latest sightings report that there is a dead hippo baby at the dam – not sure if it is the same one, but still tragic news though.. :(

It was a really hot day as we settled in at Satara, but first visited friends from Nelspruit that were already in the camp spending catching on news until it was time we could book into the GC6BD Guest cottage. At the reception on the side of the building we saw these bats hanging out...in the trees that is...

When walking around in the camp, one must always be on the look-out for these guys as they sometimes are camourflarged with the dry grass patches.
After resting a bit, we did an afternoon drive with some unique bird sightings worth sharing. Coming up next…

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
After arriving at Satara on day 7 and rested a bit on a very, very hot day, we did a short afternoon drive down the H7, with a circle route via the S12 and S40, back onto H7 heading slowly back to camp. The one lesson we learnt is that on late afternoon drives, certain roads have an abundance of bird activity and this is exactly what we had found.

We passed the roadblock of cars still looking at the giraffe kill and mega pride of lions around and turned right onto the S12. A few kms down the road we stopped at a spot where quite a bit of hunting activities were taking place by 3 different bird species. They all sat on bushes right next to the road and then dive down to hunt the insects on the gravel road. Here are a few in action…
This starling was making some noise (hope he did not say something about us) :roll:

The Wattled starling was on the hunt and flew off..

African grey hornbill came in for a landing...

Further up the S12, some more activity with these 2 pairs posing for us...

...Lilac-breatsed rollers...

...and close to it these Grey go-away birds, but they were polite and did not ask us to 'go away'... :thumbs_up:

Just before Girivana waterhole, we were entertained by this Long-tailed paradise-whydah busy in the road and we followed it slowly from one bush to another for about a hundred meters. It was most enjoyable to watch all these activities.

We turned right at the intersection with S40 towards H7 and was intrigued by this beautiful flower in the bush – sort of ‘out of place’ :gflower: .

Back on the H7, we spotted these 2 Steenbok - mating pair, I guess :hmz: .

The Ntsemani dam did not dissappoint us as we saw a fish eagle trying to catch some fish on the far side of the dam - pity about the focus though and light deteriorating.

Mr 'H' was vocal and actually saying in hippo-language to us on the hill ..."hope you sleep tight through the night and hope we have each other tomorrow again in sight". (Ye-ess, that is what he said... :roll:

As a bird lover, we thoroughly enjoyed this drive and on this note returned back to camp again delighted with the sightings we had enjoyed. The next day, it was time to head north on the H1-4 direction Ngotso dam and then S39 Timbavati road, via Ratelpan hide and back to camp. Due to the interesting sightings we had enjoyed, I will have to split this drive in two. Our day 8 started with some predators (no lions for a change) and others worth sharing…so, until tomorrow….

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Completely lost track of time as we were temporary in a 'different world', going to bed anytime from 20h00 and up by 04h00 – but that is Kruger! Well, in reality it is 20 Dec’12, Thursday and day no 8 of our 16-day stay. Time is going too quick now. It is another beautiful day with the sun sticking its neck out from over the open plains as we were heading north in the direction of the Ngotso dams.

On the left side of the road a hyena was jogging zig-zag over the plains with a black-backed jackal following him. As the light was still very poor and these predators a bit far for usage of the flash, it came out blurry. Driving on the H1-4, one could see quite far over the open plains and then we approached the section with lush large trees and we know, where there are trees, one can expect a surprise…and that is exactly what we got – beautiful pose, close to the road up high without any cars, no matter how high, could spoil your view. This was our 2nd leopard sighting of our trip and a magnificent one as well. In a distance, one could hear the baboons putting up some noise to alert others of the leopard’s presence.

After spending a bit of time observing the leopard (there is something about just to be in their presence causing one not to leave and stay there forever), and with cars from Olifants and Letaba also now arriving, we got going again. The Ngotso dams were quiet with here and there a few dugga boyz, zebra, wildebeest and impalas. It was time to turn west onto the S39 and with sun behind us, we managed to get this young one running for cover with sun backlighting the hair.

Close to the baboons, a few wildebeest and impies were grazing…

Driving next to the Timbavati river, stopped at another favourite spot of mine – Ratelpan hide. It was very quiet and the only thing alive was the Southern red bishop.

While scanning the bush on the other side and down the riverbed, I could not help thinking back to May’09 when we got our first sighting of a pair of Saddle-billed stork. But is was in Dec’11, that we had an excellent experience with a massive herd of buffalo moving past, with Yellow-billed stork and heron flying by, hence wish to share some moments with you.

So, with stomachs started making some lion-like noises, we stopped at the Timbavati picnic spot for some breakfast where we made use of the rented gas braai again. Tummies filled, body breaks taken and so we were ready for the second stretch along the Timbavati river hoping to see Brown-headed parrots. But….we got something else instead, an ‘airport of some sort’, as I call it. This was really interesting to observe, and deserving of the next posting to be dedicated just to this. Kruger’s own airport for….??? in the next attraction.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
As mentioned before, we were on the S39 – just left the Timbivati picnic spot and driving towards the H7 enjoying the scenery with only a few kms on the road, we saw the quite a number of vultures circling the air and then descending in a circle formation down to the ground. Then we arrived at the spot, close to the road where an elephant carcass with the skin still attached was lying. It was covered with vultures. I have read something about the dead elephant and that the tusks were removed by the rangers leaving the carcass as food for the predators and vultures – maybe someone knows something more about this :hmz: .

Well, here car alone and sitting at ’Airport D’vulture’ as I like to call it. We were car alone and had the sighting all to ourselves late morning whilst the sun baking down on us, thankfully we had air-con in the car that we switched on from time to time. We had spent quite a bit of time at ‘Airport D’vulture’, where we observed how vultures, both Lappet-faced and White-backed, continuously coming down to land and others taking off in our direction. It was a wonderful sight to see. But let the photos tell the story ….

White-back vultures sitting on the carcass and some were eating.

Lappet-faced vulture taking off...

Landing strip: These ones were coming down to land and all of them came from the one direction as if they were landing against the wind as airplanes do. This happened continuously…

Taking off – the runway: all of the vultures taking off went the opposite direction – as could be seen i.e. in our direction…

After quite some time enjoying this interesting sighting we were on our way back to camp and passed the mega lion pride once again, but visability still poor. It is about lunch time and we did a nice healthy cucumber-lettace-tomato-cheese-and-ham sandwich and rested a bit. SO and the little one went for a swim and I did a short solo drive on the S100. The afternoon, we again had some good sightings and that will be shared tomorrow…

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Meandering Mouse wrote:
That is some vulture in the air 8) fantastic :cam:

:popcorn:

Meandering Mouse, yes there were some large ones. Whilst they were eating, they were quite intollerant with one another which had led to some fighting. It was difficult to capture the action, though.

roaneric wrote:
Fantastic vulture pictures :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you, roaneric. I guess we were lucky to have had this sighting.

Philip1 wrote:
Kaapsedraai wrote:
It was a wonderful sight to see. But let the photos tell the story ….
Lappet-faced vulture taking off...
Landing strip: These ones were coming down to land and all of them came from the one direction as if they were landing against the wind as airplanes do. This happened continuously…
Taking off – the runway: all of the vultures taking off went the opposite direction – as could be seen i.e. in our direction…

:clap: Kaapsedraai, i love your Pictorial "Story". Awesome pics :whistle: :whistle:

Yes, Philip1, it was quite unique the way they all came and land from one side and taking off in another direction and the amount of activity was awesome - I guess it can be compared to Heathrow airport...

Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
Love the kruger airport :D you got some beautiful photos of those vultures, those birds have massive wingspans :)

Sheenaugh-Lee, these guys are also not the most attractive sort either... :hmz:

TR will continue tomorrow, hence no update today due to circumstances... :think: , but in case you want to 'brom' (or moan), then this southern ground hornbill will hopefully keep you company :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
When in Kruger, you want to get the most out of your trip, hence a bit of rest post the morning drive will not last long before your mind starts telling you, you are in Kruger and need to be out there in the wild, not in the camp. Well, that is what I am experiencing, especially when you have travelled more than 1160 miles, made a noticeable cash investment and waiting for this time for a full year :D .

Here I go again, just after midday and this time on a short solo drive taking the S100 to see if this road will present me with the abundance of activity as others had experienced and what the camp's sightings board was indicating. The drive was extremely quiet and with permission, actually 'boaring', with no activity except for some birdies. No leopards, no lion, no elephant, nothing at all, only birds. It is amazing to watch these Red-headed queleas how they fly and not one crashing into another...

In the trees next to the N'wanetsi river I spotted the only Brown-hooded kingfisher of our trip

After an hour I was back in camp to pick up the family and went down the S90 tar road direction Sweni hide. At one stage, we spotted about 9 giraffe scattered around us at both sides of the road, a few zebra, wildebeest and here and there ellies. Close to Sweni hide these two waterbuck were ready to pose for us - the youngster and then the older one - I like those beautiful long horns :)

The hide was quiet with an elderly couple sitting there reading there books and now and then took there binoculars when they thought they have spotted something. The only activity we have had was some more Red-headed queleas coming down to drink on the opposite bank.

Where there is water, one can expect these guys...

As we walked out of the hide, this Blue waxbill, was busy building a nest and I managed to get a better shot as the one I got at Lake Panic.

This Tawny-flanked prinia also caught our eyes at the hide..

As it was time to head back to camp we did a quick look at what is happening at the Sweni waterhole on the S126, but on our way we had been watched - yes, traffic police was sitting next to the road and can say we were good tourist as we were driving very slowly. At the Sweni waterhole there was also nothing going on and at that note we went back to camp to get ready for a braai.

The next day, we were on our way to Mopani for 2 days. Yippie! :dance: - another favourite camp of mine with lost of intersteing sightings coming up.. yes including our only snake encounter :big_eyes: and scary looking fish :big_eyes: , lots of birds and lots more etc... :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
It is 21 Des'12 and day 9 in Kruger which meant we were now into the second half of our trip...not a good thought :( , but the next half will also be very exciting. Like the previous morning, we were greeted by the beautiful sunrise and enjoyed some general game with these sebra reflecting some of the early sunrise colours.

The leopard of the previous day was gone, as we headed for Olifants camp to enjoy early morning breakfast whilst enjoying the beautiful view over the Olifants river from the restaurant.

Then we took the S93 towards Letaba to have a view of the Von Williegh's baobab and see if we could see some leopard. Last year we came from Letaba and enjoyed this magnificent view of a giraffe in the middle of the road trying to reach for some baobab leaves. It was a very unique setting with both a leadwood tree on the one side, Von Willieghs boabab on the other and giraffe in the middle.

As we did not spot any leopard, we enjoyed some other sightings like these Red-billed oxpeckers sitting on the zebra and impalas.

We arrived at Letaba to stretch legs after which we headed along the H1-6 to Mopani camp, but this hippo was walking over the white sand in the Letaba river forcing us to stop for a photo.

The road was relatively quite and we decided to check out a few of our favourite spots first before booking in namely Mooiplaas, Shipandani and Pionier dam hides. We arrived at Mopani and booked into FF6V which had an equisite view over the Pionier dam.

An observation regarding the different camps we had is that all the camps got beautiful entrances except for Satara. Perhaps something will be done about it. Nevertheless, Mopani is a beautiful camp and we were having a great time here with my first sighting of those long green creepy crawlies which I will share next as well as some others....warning, some creepy images to be share in next posting, .....to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
WARNING!!! This posting not for the 'do not do creepy crawly' stuff... :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

We arrived at Mopani, and at our unit, which had a wonderful view over the Pionier dam, we were welcomed by a mating pair of Giant plated lizards which appeared to be quite shy. These lizards lay about 5 eggs in summer and eat insects, flowers, soft fruit and leaves.

After enjoying some refreshments, we headed to the restaurant and shops to get some food and wood for the evening braai. Must add that the quality of meat at Mopani is excellent. At the restaurant, one enjoys some wonderful scenic views over the Pionier dam. There were Egyptian geese and Open-billed storks next to the water. Then we also saw two fish eagles in the trees on the one end of the dam.

But...at the entrance of the shop in the large tree full of weaver nests, there was this interesting sighting :big_eyes: - a first for me - Boomslang going from one nest to another looking for eggs and small birds. We were all very concerned, but relieved to see that all the nests were empty.

This boomslang sighting was our 4th in as many trips we had done to Kruger. On previous trips, we have been fortunate to see some different snakes i.e. in May'09, we spotted this puffadder just before Olifants camp on the gravel road intersection with the tar road.

In Sep'10, we spotted this Olive grass snake on the H4-1 tar road just before the Nkulu picnic area.

In Dec'11 travelling from Letaba to Olifants early morning on the H1-5, this Mozambican spitting cobra was crossing our path...

On this creepy crawly note we headed back to our unit and took a drive to Shipandani hide and Pionier dam hide from where we could see this view of the Mopani camp.

Now that we have given attention to the creepy-crawlies of Kruger, we are moving on to some wonderful sightings we had enjoyed from the two hides and Mooiplaas which I will share in next reports...to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Pumbaa - thank you. Yes we could not believe our eyes to see the boomslang in the camp. When we had visited the area again later, the snake was gone and I was wondering which direction, so it causes one to look at every bush, tree and greenery with searching eyes - just in case. :shock:

Meandering Mouse - thank you :thumbs_up: , more coming up tomorrow as time has caught up on me. :(

Trrp-trrrrrrrr, it is only a pleasure in sharing these with you. :)

hilda, I agree with you - they must be far away or in pictures. Thank you for comments. :clap:

t-bal, that is true as one must have the sentiment of enjoying what the bushveld presents you with...not to have an attitude that you have arrived and the bush must show you what it got as you will only be dissappointed. :dance:

Bushbuddies, scary stuff, but there is something about such sightings - a bit of adrenalin rush and then after such a sighting you tends to check every bush and corner in the hides you are visiting as well as the unit you are staying. :shock:

Sheenaugh-Lee, I guess we have been fortunate every time we visited Kruger and hope it does not stop... :hmz:

Ivan Fourie, take me with on your next trip and I will do the snake spotting for you. I am also good in fish eagle spotting, so discuss with SO and let me know...eagerly awaiting your response :whistle: :think:

Apologies to everyone for no posting due to busy schedule, but will share some sightings from Pionier dam ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
After we had booked in at Mopani, enjoyed the boomslang action at the restaurant side and rested a bit, we were off to Shipandani and Pionier dam hides, just 'around the corner' from the camp. First we stopped at the Pionier dam hide and enjoyed the afternoon quietness whilst observing some bird activity around, but first back to the 'Banana birds' (as hilda called them) - they were the welcoming committe for the afternoon...and friendly :)

The first thing we had noticed when entering the hide, was the bird activity on the other side of the dam with open billed storks, yellow billed stork and other resident birds in the trees.

Seemed like some of the Open billed storks were busy building nests...and breeding

Right in front of us on one of the rocks, a small crocodile was enjoying the sun...

After a while, some other residents started to make their appearance - first the Jacana...

...and then this Yellow-billed egret

Then there were a couple of fly-by's....first this Squacco heron

...and then a Water thick knee...

After a good hour of enjoying the openness of the dam, we returned to see if we can spot the Leopard with cub in the Shipandani hide area. Coming up next, some afternoon sighting at the Shipandani hide and the causeway....

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
On our way to the Shipandani hide and the causeway, we had to be very careful as some of the Ellie-dung could be quite sizeable and damage your car...

From the causeway over the Tsendze river, one has this view of the Shipandani overnight hide - a must do for us with next trip only planned for 2014.

On the slope of the hill behind the hide, these corkwood trees makes for a beautiful view.

From the hide, we have been entertained by a family of hippos with babies. I just love the grunting sounds they are making, especially the one with the high note in it.

At the causeway, this Green-backed heron was in a fishing mood. He probably had to catch a thousand of these little fish to fill him up, I guess.

Then the resident Mr Goliath also greeted us as he was parading the banks of the river.

We had spent quite a bit of time at the causeway, hoping to see the leopard and cub we were informed about via bbm latest sightings, but they stayed away. As we were still at Mopani another day, we visisted the area again about another 3 to 4 times with some intersting sightings...but we had also visited Mooiplaas and this will be shared next

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
It is still the day of our arrival at Mopani and we had already seen some wonderful and scary sightings, but a day at Mopani is not complete if you have not stopped at Mooiplaas. :D

Well, on arrival at Mooiplaas, we were pleasantly surprised by this large 'bunch' of running feathers - ostriches and lots of 'teenagers'. It was the first time seeing so many of them together with only a male and female with them. I just wonder, has anyone perhaps seen an ostrich kill :hmz: ?...Here are a few pics...

Then our attention was caught by Mr Secretary as he was walking from the waterhole and then started to pick up a bit of speed....and then the take off...

On the other side some Tsetsebe's with calves were grazing. I like the colourul legs - as if they are wearing socks. :)

It was time to head back to camp to enjoy a nice braai whilst enjoying the picturesque view of the sun setting over the Pionier dam. It is only at Mopani one can enjoy such beauty...

The next day it was time to explore the two hides again where we got some colourful birds and then doing a trip down to Stapelkop dam and a bit of Shongololo loop where we got another excellent sighting - first for us, but this will be coming up next....

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Day 10 of 16 day trip:

Early morning we were off to Shipandani hide again - maybe the leopard and cub is there. As we came down the hill onto the causeway, we spotted this beautiful Malachite kingfisher close to us... he flew away shortly after I managed to get this photo.

We waited a bit, scanned the area together with other visitors, but no sight of the leopard. So we headed in the direction of Pionier dam. At the one intersection with Shongolo loop, we did an impulsive decision to drive up this loop, just for a few kms. About 3-4 km up the road, we were about to make a u-turn and then we spotted this African Wild cat. It was the first time we spotted an AWC and was delighted.

On our way back and driving slowly with windows open, I heard the distinct noise of a certain bird and then high up in the trees we spotted the Brown-headed parrot

At the intersection with S149, we decided to see what it looks like at Stapelkop dam and took the 19km trip which appeared to be very quiet on this long stretch of road, but we got sight of this beautiful baobab in front of a koppie. As I had lost my wide angle lens, this was the best I could do with telephoto...

Arriving at Stapelkop dam, there were a bit of activity with impalas and zebras coming to drink on the far side of the dam. Then a large herd of buffalo started to make their appearance.

On our way back this steenbok was resting under the shade of a tree while the day started to heat up to above 35 degrees.

During our morning trip, we also spotted this beautiful Large-leaved rock fig.

Our morning started off with colourful malachite, what a way to start a day. And then it got better and better... It did not stop there as we were very fortunate to have some different and excellent birds sightings at both the Pionier dam and Shipandani causeway which will be shared the next time. ...to be continued.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Our second visit to Pionier dam on a lovely hot day following a trip to Stapelkop dam and up the Shongololo loop. After 50 km drive, it was time for a proper leg stretch and relax a bit, and the Pionier dam hide was the place.

The one thing about a hide, especially with bird activity is that once you have entered, do not ecspect to see everyhing immediately. Sit and relax and just absorb the tranquility. The birds will slowly appear and visit which makes for great sightings. As soon as the one arrives, the other follow. Here are a few we have enjoyed at the Pionier dam hide the morning and the afternoon, respectively.

As we were walking to the hide, we spotted this White-crested helmet-shrike in the trees

On the other side of the dam, quite a number of birds were active on the water edge - Jacanas, Egyption geese with chics, Blacksmith lapwing, Black-winged stilt and Great egret

But in front of us on the rock, the big guy with lots of teeth was sun bathing - wonder if he or she is one of the parents of the little croc posted earlier in TR :hmz:

Then we had a Little egret also making its appearance by means of a casual fly-by...

Worth sharing is this Water thick-knee that came and sit on the rock right in front of the hide and he was going off calling to the others. The sound echoed in the hide with its high tones , but we enjoyed the music provided to us my nature.

Some other birds arrived such as this Cinnamon-breasted bunting

In the afternoon, we also had this Jacobin cuckoo visiting us...

In the reeds, this Marsh-wabbler was busy hunting and managed to get a worm from the reeds

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Following our visits to Pionier dam, we also did a few others to Shipandani hide and causeway, but without any sightings of the leopard and cub :( . The birdies made up for it and dominated the scene again, but were also greeted by some interesting characters showing off their teeth.

But, let us have hide-view look at the river in the direction of the causeway.

As we approached the causeway from the hide, we noticed some Waterbuck coming down to drink in their usual cautious manner.

On the causeway, this Black Crake family was busy looking for food. The one chick was very obedient and stayed close to the mother, but the other one was more adventurous and did his own thing.

On another occassion, we were greeted by some interesting and scary looking sightings. Firstly, in a distance these hippos were letting us know that they are all awake and watching us

Then this crocodile was getting very close to the side...

...and the reason, some fierce looking fish with pyrana-like teeth swimming next to the causeway. We have also noticed one or two upside down and came to the conclusion that they might be in trouble and gasping for air and something wrong with water contents.

On this note we have said farewell to Pionier dam and Shipandani hide and causeway, but also thinking about the time of the ranger, Bruce Bryden (suggest reading the book ' A game ranger remembers'), and the time he had to spent here awaiting the building of his house and everything be swept away during the big flood at the time.

Now, coming up next we heading back to Mooiplaas, before exploring the interesting S143 or Tropic of Capricorn loop...to be continued

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next