Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: car rental for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:13 pm 

This is so complicated! I found a Toyota Avanza with automatic transmission with Europcar; it's more expensive than we originally planned to spend, but affordable. But now I am worried because although their web site says that international drivers licenses are required only when the customer's driver's license is in an unfamiliar language or alphabet, when I clicked on special conditions for South Africa, it said that international licenses are required. We don't have them and I don't think we can get them here in France.

I've written to Europcar; I hope they answer soon.

Barbara

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
My daughter has just been in SA over christmas and she has a belgium drivers licence.. her SA one expired a while ago and she had no troubole hiring a car from a well known car hire firm . I think the problem lies in when you have a licence in a language like chinese , japanese , greek etc I will ask my SIL who is french what the case in there .. Probabaly only get him on line tomorrow though .

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Have done tonnes of trips to South Africa and other southern african countries and have never been asked for an international license as ours is in English (this also included Europcar). Don't worry, I am sure you will be fine and the auto Toyota Avanza will be perfect! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I always get an international drivers license, and I did produce it once when a Limpopo police office pulled us out of queue and asked for my paperwork. I also handed him my Arizona drivers license at the same time, so I can't say if one would have been fine. :)

I understand that one isn't needed, but I prefer to have one for the peace of mind.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:33 pm 

Hi,

I really don't think you'll have a problem with your driving licences at all. I believe the European licences are all very much the same i.e. it looks like the UK one and vice-versa. I have no problems with my licence in SA.

Regarding the car I would beware as the car may be quoted as a Toyota Avanza but usually they quote them as "Toyota Avanza or similar" so you might get a Nissan Tilda anyway. I have only once had the car that was quoted. They are almost always "similar".

Have a great time.

Alasdair

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 am 

Thanks for all the reassurance about the international driver's license. I hope we get the Toyota Avanza, but I understand we may not....

Barbara

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

barbaraburke wrote:
This is so complicated! I found a Toyota Avanza with automatic transmission with Europcar; it's more expensive than we originally planned to spend, but affordable. But now I am worried because although their web site says that international drivers licenses are required only when the customer's driver's license is in an unfamiliar language or alphabet, when I clicked on special conditions for South Africa, it said that international licenses are required. We don't have them and I don't think we can get them here in France.

I've written to Europcar; I hope they answer soon.

Barbara

Barbara,
I have used Europecar in SA a few times and have never had a problem with my UK license.
In fact I have gotten excess waiver and unlmited mileage because I am on a foreign drivers licence (this was through an agent, not direct, pm me if you want the details).

I agree with Arks above.
You are going to be spending a lot of time in the car. So rather pay a bit more and get something you are happy with.
The auto Avanza sounds like a good bet.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Just a word of advice.

At a sighting put an auto in 'park' or 'neutral'.

DONT just put your foot on the brake.

The guy behind us did just that in November and while swivelling in his seat to view a bird, his foot somehow got on to the accellerator and he rammed our trailer into the back of the van, causing a lot of damage, strife and inconvenience all around.

Luckily we were on the outskirts of a town, but in the middle of Kruger????????

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I just spoke to Daughter and she said all they wanted was a current drivers licence and your passport .. and so I would just arrive .

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:00 pm 

Thanks for the advice!

Barbara

Bush Baptist wrote:
Just a word of advice.

At a sighting put an auto in 'park' or 'neutral'.

DONT just put your foot on the brake.

The guy behind us did just that in November and while swivelling in his seat to view a bird, his foot somehow got on to the accellerator and he rammed our trailer into the back of the van, causing a lot of damage, strife and inconvenience all around.

Luckily we were on the outskirts of a town, but in the middle of Kruger????????

Post subject: Re: Anyone hired a Toyota Avanza?
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all the feedback. Ended up going with a SUV as we were worried about what the "or similar" may be as we have had that before, to our detriment.

If they have Avanza's when we get in, we may be able to change. Will have a look at them.

KNP July 2013

Post subject: Re: Auto Rental advice needed
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm 

Hello,

We are going to be in Kruger at the end of April for 17 days going North to South. We are trying to decide which type of car to rent. We have miles with Avis to use and we were looking at either a Group O - Toyota Avanza or similar or Group K - Hyundai IX35 or similiar. I wrote to Avis and they said the group O could be the Avanza or Renault scenic or Nissan Qashqai and the group K either the IX35 or Kia Sportage,Honda CRv orRenault Koleos.
The K is of course more expensive, but if it is worth it we can do it. Can anyone advise if the group K selections sit much higher than the ones in O ? I have looked at photos and it is really difficult to see much of a difference. If there is a choice in either category we end up choosing, is there a better one amoungst the group or any that we definitely should try NOT to get ?

Thanks,
Kelly

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Kelly, we had a Sportage for our 3 week stay in KNP and liked it. Clearance was good and the car was comfortable.

I haven't rented the other options you have, but good luck and enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 pm 

In 2011 we got the Renault Koleos and LOVED it. We had the Hyundai the time before and that was just fine. If you can afford the extra money, I would go with that class. How many people? We are traveling south to north to south during that time so perhaps we will see you. We will be in a class K from Avis.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi, Kelly, I've hired an Avanza in Kruger and have a Qashqai at home and think either would be fine in Kruger. They both have better clearance than an ordinary sedan though really in Kruger the only roads a sedan won't cope with are the low maintenance roads which are few and far between and quite short and the special 4x4 routes which you have to book.
The Qashqai is probably a bit more comfortable than the Avanza.
Have a great trip!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next