Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:34 am 

I am getting organized for my second trip to the park after 8 very long years. On our last trip we had a fantastic afternoon around the potjie pot at Kalahari Tented Camp. As we only had a small station wagon for the 4 of us I cannot believe that we took our own potjie pot.

Do some of the camps provide potjie pots or do I have to bring my own pot?

Cheers
John

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Welcome to the forum johnevans :D

:hmz: in all camps there is a potjie pot... as per my souvenirs :thumbs_up:
enjoy your potjie :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

plutonite wrote:
Hi there,

We are planning a trip to KTP mid april. It is not clear if it is possible to travel from Nossob towards the Mabuasehube area. Any help on this would be much appreciated!

:P

Dear Plutonite,
I took a look at the issue when planning my trip to KTP next june. You can only enter Botsuana if you sleep there, otherwise no. I had precisely the same plans you have, but when I learned about it, I asked here if it is worth getting into Botsuana when it comes to see different fauna. That was important, because I was not planning to camp and in Botsuana there are only camping (as far as I got it from my readings). Kgalagadi Guru was very helpful basically saying that you see in Botsuana the same animals you see in the South Africa part of the park, but in Botsuana driving is more adventurous. As I am definitely not an adventure traveller but more a nature traveller I gave up Botsuana.

You should also consider that you can only enter Botsuana in a convoy of at least two cars... Road conditions seem to be rather complicated there....

Cheers
Charbel

1 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
2 June 2013 - Kieliekrankie
3-4 June 2013 - Kalahari Tented Camp
5 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
6-8 June 2013 - Nossob
9 June 2013 - Gharagab
10 June 2013 - Grootkolk
11 June 2013 - Nossob
12 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi friends,
Here I am asking once again for some tips regarding the planning for my trip to KTP in June.
One of my worries is the cold weather. Before in this forum people told me that I would not need a sleeping back for cold weather because I will not camp, but sleep in tents or bungalows from sanparks, and they have blankets there. Also I was advised to bring with me a bag for hot water to put in the bag and also about clothes. All very useful. I decided however that it would be better to buy a sleeping bag so that I do not have to bother about the hot water. But as I will be in tents or bungalows I do not need, I think, a sleeping bag for very cold weather.

Today I saw in a shop one bag with the following specifications: comfort, + 3 Celsius degrees, Tolerance, 0 Celsius degrees, Extreme, - 4 Celsius degree. I am pondering this will be enough since I will be in tents etc. with cardigans, thermals, beanies, coats etc. (things for a tropical guy...), even though the temperature can drop at night even to -10 Celsius. What do you think? Am I correct about that?

Cheers
Charbel

1 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
2 June 2013 - Kieliekrankie
3-4 June 2013 - Kalahari Tented Camp
5 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren
6-8 June 2013 - Nossob
9 June 2013 - Gharagab
10 June 2013 - Grootkolk
11 June 2013 - Nossob
12 June 2013 - Twee Rivieren

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi charbel
There are some tips In this topic(Weather) try half way down page 3 :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm 

Thanks for your responses. Travelling to the Mabuasehabe area shouldn't be a problem. We are exiting in Botswana and we are camping in the area too. And yes.... we are the adventurous type of travellers :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 pm 

Charbel you will need blankets!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:33 am 

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and I've been really enjoying going through all your posts and learning so, so much about Kgalagadi. I can't wait to visit! And, when I do, I would love to stay at one of the wilderness camps.

And, speaking of that, I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask, but I would appreciate it if someone could explain about the reservation system. I understand that you can reserve a wilderness accommodation 11 months out. Does that mean that I should be able to reserve February, 2014 now that it is March? Or, is it a rolling 11 months (e.g., as of the 2nd March, 2013, I can reserve only the 1st February, 2014).

Please excuse me if this isn't the right place to ask. I tried to watch the"help" video about online reservations and this really wasn't explained.
Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi barbarasa and Welcome!

Yes, now that it's March 2013, you can make KTP reservations for all of February 2014 -- it's not a day-by-day system :roll: Just note that KTP books up quickly, so grab what you want -- or can get -- quickly, even if it's not 'perfect'. Often there are later cancellations and you'll be able to make adjustments to yours if you don't get your ideal itinerary at the outset.

Feel free to keep asking questions, lots of KTP regulars here :D And have a great trip!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
welcome to the forum barbarasa :D
you have to start now for February 2014, like arks said, and hurry up for the unfenced ones... like Grootkolk :dance:
wow a maybe new Kgalagadi devotee :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:54 pm 

I must be doing something wrong. I've used the calendar lookup for next February for each of the camps and I get the same message that it is either all sold out or the period does not comply with the eleven month restrictions. Does that make sense.? This happens whether I search on one of the small wilderness camps and also with the larger rest camps.
Thanks.

Barbara

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:10 pm 

Hi barbarasa

No, you are not doing anything wrong, I get the same message; ie cannot see availability for Feb 2014. I will alert SANParks. You should still however be able to make a telephone/email reservation.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi barbarasa - I agree with DinkyBird. I think the system must be "down". It is after 1st March, so you should be able to see availability for February 2014.

If you can, try phoning tomorrow.

Good luck!

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 pm 

Thanks everyone! I was sure that it had to be user difficulty on my part. Fortunately, this was just kind of a "trial run" for me. We actually won't be able to get over to South Africa until April, 2014. But, now I know that I should be able to make reservations on May 1.
I really appreciate all your help.
Thank you.
Barbara

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:47 pm 

My understanding is that the booking system has changed such that now you can book by email. phone etc 11 months in advance but only 10 months in advance online. Not sure I understand the logic as if you book on line you have to pay in full which surely helps with the rather frustrating situation whereby the true booked accommodation picture only becomes clear 30 days before actual date and when the balance for accommodation not booked on line becomes due. That said, this has helped us enormously in the past when we only booked last minute to get the accommodation we wanted as and when it became free at this 30 day date. Also have my suspicions that travel agencies/tour companies hold accommodation until the last possible minute. We have often booked what we can then refined our booking night by night and so far have always got an ideal itinery in the end. This year however we emailed right on the right date to ensure we got exactly what we wanted for our first Kgalagadi trip - now only 220 days 23 hours and 44 minutes away!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next