Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 151  Next
 Post subject: Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I am planning to make soups and some meat and pasta dishes etc and freeze them.....but need to find time and a day that is not too hot.......after I have the bigger fridge/freezer of course! A long time ago in a previous life ( :) ) I did this, and it worked OK then.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

WOW!!!!! Will explain at end of this post.....

Left for Letaba at lunch time and got there just before gate closing. Good sightings of giraffe, ellies, rhinos, impala, warthogs, zebs, wildebeest.....but no time to stop for anything sadly.

Lectures Monday and today.....with rain this morning, and later this afternoon, by which time the power had failed too....chaos for the presentations, but we made a plan (put it on 2 laptops and turned them to face audience). Power eventually back after 6pm and rain stopped soon after that.

I had seen a bushbuck next to the bungalow behind me most of the evening, and thought it was sheltering near a log. But then.....I saw her move and the tiniest baby behind her!!! She had been giving birth! I grabbed my camera and slowly walked over, she allowed me quite close, but light was horrid and I got poor photos. Went to tell my 'boss' in the next bungalow and she came out to see and then fetched her camera.

Then......the baby started to move shakily in my direction.....and came right over to me, stood on my feet and leant against my leg! I bent down and gently stroked its ears and neck, but did not want to make too much fuss of it. Mum moved behind me, but just watched and baby then slowly moved to her. Magic!!!! They are together in the middle of the bungalows with mum licking baby constantly and baby nursing frequently. So cute and wonderful to see.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Today we left camp shortly after 7am with a list of places to visit to check coordinates and/or take photos. We planned to drive home after that, but waited to cancel booking until our return so we could leave stuff in the fridges.

We got back about an hour ago!!!!! So just as well we did not cancel booking...... Lots of photos taken.....but mostly rocks or rock formations, as it was for a geology book and geosite information. We did see a number of ellies, impalas, zebs, giraffes and waterbuck en route.

No sign of mum and baby bushbuck, I suspect baby is now hidden somewhere, and will stay there for up to 6 weeks before being brought out to the public again.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The trip south again was uneventful.....I was able to take it more gently than usual, and stopped to watch a few raptors and groups of giraffe, zebs, ellies, ostriches, wildebeest, warthogs, impalas, etc on the way.

The marula season is over now, so no more ellie trouble in camp, although last night I heard a noise and found an ellie grazing right next to the caravan (outside the fence!).

This weekend I will be going back to bush camp for a couple of nights. My 'boss' is there from Thursday morning helping with a bush interpretation course, but needs to be back for the weekend, so she asked me to take over on Friday afternoon. I will help with rifle protection mainly, but really appreciate the opportunity to go back to bush camp!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Been quiet because busy!

The bush camp time was good.....only one short walk, and 3 drives, but also spent time listening to lectures which were so interesting...... We had ellies around the camp both nights, and heard lions too, and saw 2 males on the way back one evening from a drive.

On Thursday I helped iwith a shooting assessment and the trips both ways gave lots of animal sightings - kudus, impalas, warthogs, zebs, wildebeest, ellies, rhinos, hyenas (10 together at one spot), several eagles and vultures.

2 evenings ago a little steenbokkie came and rested under a tree near the fence. I was sitting on the bed doing some computer work when a movement caught my eye and I was in time to see it settle down. It stayed an hour or so, getting up a couple of times to eat and then it was too dark to see what happened to it.

Yesterday spent time changing my caravan tent - a mammoth task and I was grateful to have help. Now just have to put everything back in. I set up an ordinary tent next to the caravan to move things into and then back. Have a bit more space now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Life continues to be rather busy in the office etc......no drives for a while now.

But the animals are still visiting camp area anyway. Lots of ellie visits, impalas even in camp and warthogs too. This afternoon there was a pair of bushbuck near the gate and round my side of the fence. The bushbabies are back in the pole next to me, and in the evening their clicks and moans as they look for food can be heard constantly.

And then just after gate closing time this evening I heard a leopard calling. A short while later it was very loud. I grabbed my spotlight, and was in time to see it leaving the fence area next to my caravan and going off into the bush! It called a few more times, getting fainter all the time...... Wonderful visit!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

What a crazy week! After the leopard sighting, it was off to the big smoke......Pretoria for one night. I tried a bit of shopping at a nearby mall, but gave up......it was one of those confusing malls with twists and turns and different levels and too many people....... Next day we went to Kimberley and stayed just outside the town (had dinner at an Italian restaurant in town though). And then it was off to Twee Rivieren and the Cricket! I did not know if I would get there or not.......and was so grateful to be able to go after all!

The 2 days there were wonderful.....spent almost entirely at the Cricket ground just enjoyed watching what was happening, helping Hugh a little with the Silent Auction (but she needed little help at all), and playing a brief role in the Angels match on Saturday morning. DB and Hawk took me into the park for an hour or so before that and we found pale chanting goshawk, springbok, and gemsbok.

The evening gala dinner was wonderful if rather too noisy for me (but I was prepared with silicone earplugs which meant I could hear well enough without being deafened!!). KTP and the community did us proud and Kruger will have to try much harder to keep up.

On the way to the dinner we saw a pygmy falcon on the road, and as we drove back into camp an African wild cat ran across in front of us.

The trip back was long and tiring.....in one day from KTP to Pretoria, but at least I had 2 nights booked, so had yesterday to recover. Spent some time taking my mom out for lunch and some shopping and then just chilled and prepared for the drive home.

Got home around 4pm and unloaded the car then snoozed before unpacking. Baboons were around but no problem. Now an early night before lots of office work tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

My public holiday will be busy too......At the gate first thing to help with the queues, and then driving to Skukuza shooting range to help and take part in shooting practice. Camping there overnight and then shooting assessment on Friday. Back that evening, and more gate duty over the weekend......

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Did not see them this evening as I was busy unpacking, but I have heard them.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I don't expect to be there much past 7 or 7.30am. Most long weekends that first day can be a bit hectic at opening time and then gets busy again late morning when the Gautengers arrive! But anything can happen as we have found before........

The normal pattern is for it to be quieter around 8.30-10am - but don't bank on it!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I am told Schoemanskloof is horrible for stop and goes......so avoid that route. The rest was OK yesterday when I drove home from Pretoria. Even getting on the N4 was a doddle!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hugh wrote:
Nice to see you back safely EJ
Now to clear up the matter of the cricket ... you are supposed to hit the ball not let the ball hit the wickets !!!!!!!!

I was waiting for you to show me how to do it - after all the only other example I had was Nedret last year........

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Back home again after 2 days in Skukuza on the shooting range - literally! I was able to camp for the 2 nights rather than have to drive back and forth. Made it much easier, although I did gate duty on Thursday before leaving (fortunately very quiet).

And the good news is that I got my advanced rifle proficiency, even managing the menfolk in 2 of the exercises! 6 of 11 folk got the advanced proficiency which was a good result. Most of the others were close too, one only failing on the final exercise.

There were just 2 of us camping, and both of got the advanced, so we decided to eat at Selati last night to celebrate (we got late passes). On the way home we had a leopard lying on the road, good sighting as it crossed,ame back and then off into the bush. Also had ellies, buffalo, and heard lions. This morning heard ground hornbills too.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

billyf wrote:
Now we can start calling you Annie !!! :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

Think that was some of the men thought when I beat my own quick-loading record (and was not trying to do so) and was 2 seconds faster than any of them!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Last night I did a bush braai drive for BnD although collected guests from the gate. It was quiet, but still got impalas, scrub hares, zebs, spotted eagle owls, and lots of chatter.

Tonight it was a night drive in the rain! Fortunately easy-going guests, and a bit of joking etc kept us laughing despite the weather. We had scrub hares, impalas, duiker, hippo, giraffe, ?buffalo, rhinos, leopard (right next to us and then lying in the grass grooming himself), barred owl, and lots of water thick-knees keeping us amused with their antics.

Morning drive tomorrow, weather permitting.....so off to bed now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 151  Next