SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: The flood, February 2000
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:26 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

Thanks for all the postings and link (Dalene). Great topic. Now with Shingwedzi floods so fresh in our memory and for many still painful, it is amazing to realise that since just before 2000 flood, all flood levels have reached record level, in human memory anyway. Undoubtedly Skukuza had it's record then (7 February 2000), yet the Sabie was a fury last year (18 January 2012), mainly due to Sand River much higher than in 2000. The Olifants reached it's record 18 January 2012, flooding the high level bridge for first time ever. The Letaba had it's record on 24 February 2000, although it flooded the high level bridge again this year, only at a lower level. The Nwaswitsonsto undoubtedly had it's record 18 January 2012 when Tshokwane was flooded at a level never experienced before. The Luvuvhu is an unsure case for me, although I have a suspicion it was higher in 2000 (at least the confluence with Limpopo), but I could be wrong. Shingwedzi was the last of the high level bridges that lost it's "virginity" late on 20 January 2013 flooding Shingwedzi Camp and staff quarters on a scale never recorded before in the history of the Park. Miraculously, in all the three floods mentioend, 2000, 2012 and 2013, no lives were lost (guests or staff)!

Thank you for most interesting topic!

JOEP STEVENS (joep.stevens@sanparks.org)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 pm 

During 2000 floods I was in Moz, Chokwe to be precise, 2012 I was in Phalagat, and this year in JHB, but I have a theory in why the "Virgin" river as you rightly put it Joep was worst affected, and the Croc, Komati, Sabie was not. :thumbs_up:

I do think that the floods in 2000 changed the rivers in such a way, that they were maybe deeper, or flowing better for 2012, and the serious floods got to those rivers that did not have the oppertunity to adapt yet to this whole global warming, more rain and worse drought scenario.

Same with the Limpopo. :thumbs_up:

Just my thoughts. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Joep Stevens wrote:
efore. The Luvuvhu is an unsure case for me, although I have a suspicion it was higher in 2000 (at least the confluence with Limpopo), but I could be wrong
I'm not sure about the Luvuvhu either, but have been told that the floodwaters reached the S63 tar road this time, which is quite some distance south of the 2000 flood marker. The only pictures I've seen of the confluence are from either the 16th or 17th. Impressive, but the river surely rose much higher over the next few days. Pictures would only have been possible from an aircraft by that time, I suspect.

Johan