Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roodewal in December
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:02 pm 

Hi,

We just stayed in Roodewal for 2 nights this month. It is a really nice camp and you have it all to yourself.

It has got a deck that looks over a dry river bed. It is really nice to sit there and just soak in everything.

Just be careful of the Vervet Monkeys there, they like to come steal your food out your chalet. So keep all your doors and windows closed.

Samantha

22 August - Letaba
9 - 12 December - Lower Sabie
Kruger 2015
28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 am 

Thanks Mant :thumbs_up:

I've already been warned about these Roodewaal monkeys, apparently they are full of it :lol: Will keep an eye on them :shock:

How was you game view experience in and around the camp? What routes did you guys drive and what did you come across?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 am 

Hi James,

Our game viewing experience around the camp was quite good we saw quite a few animals.

Ratelpan Hide is right near Roodewal. It is a really nice place to go and sit for some peace and quiet.

Just outside Roodewal Camp we saw a whole lot of lions, they were all cubs of different sizes with no mother. I think their mother was out hunting, lots of Kori Bustards and Jackals around there too. The birding is great as well.

Samantha

22 August - Letaba
9 - 12 December - Lower Sabie
Kruger 2015
28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 am 

We found the drive along the S100 (Nwanetsi River Road) to Nwanetsi picnic site very rewarding with plenty of game and birds and lovely scenery. We found the big Singita lion pride at Sonop waterhole.You will need the whole day so a lunch break at Nwanestsi works well and you can take the H6 and H1 to get home more speedilly if you need to.We did not find many birds in camp which is strange as there are many trees but perhaps we were out in the middle of the day when the sun was shining and the birds more active. :hmz:ImageNwanetsi River Road

Post subject: Re: Roodewal Bush Lodge
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 pm 

Hey There!!!
Thank You for sharing your wonderful experiences, advice and pics at Roodewal!!!! :clap:
Booked for the school holidays and will be there early Oct 2012 for three blissful days!!!! :dance:
Can't wait!!! hope to post a tale or two with some pics!!!
Ciao

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm 

Only 16 days until we arrive at Roodewal :dance: This will be our 1st visit to this particular bush camp and we are excited beyond belief...

Anybody who has recently been to Roodewal in the last few months, whats been happening? Please share some of your sightings and news with us? Which roads did you drive and where did you get lucky?

How has the rainfall been in the central region of the park and is there any water in the Timbavati river bed? Few pools?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
James :D

We heading over to Maroela this weekend, so we will have a better idea of the sightings around Timbavati then :thumbs_up: PM me next weekend if I forgot to report back. At the moment, Lions on the S90 old main road has been spotted recently 8)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:23 pm 

Thanks cheetah 2111. I will do so. Have a great trip.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:15 am 

cheetah2111, how was you trip? What news from central Kruger? Been much rain?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:01 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Sorry I didn't reply about conditions in Central Kruger :redface:

We had zillions of elephant sightings!! Mainly, on the H7 near Orpen side. Multiple herd crossings in a drive 8) Hyena were also commonly seen on the H7 in the early mornings, but the top sighting was the massive Orpen wild dog pack on the H7 :dance: :dance:

I took the S39 to Timbavati, and had buffalo and elephant sightings in the stretch between the H7 and leeubron, and lots of general game as the river came into view!

During the time I was there, there were good sightings reported constantly on the H1-4, S90 and S100.

We had drizzle just about every night, which was pleasant 8)

How was your stay at Roodewal, James?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm 

Hi everyone - we are staying at Roodewal in min-June 2013 for 6nights. We live in the US now, but love to return to Kruger and the lowveld. We have never stayed at this camp and hope that you all can help us prepare better.

We are a family of 4 (2adults, 2 kids (7,5)) and this will be the kid's first African trip.

Are there any pictures of the various bedrooms? We are interested in understanding how to place all of our extendedly who is going to join at this camp. In total there are our 2 aunts, 2 uncles (mid 70's), 2 cousin's with a wife and child (one child is 10, the other will be approx 1yo), and maybe a brother (35).

How many can stay at the camp? The SANParks site says 19 but the fee-schedule says 16.
There are also statements about "lofts" for 2 single beds in each of the 3 houses.

How is the nightlife and noise? We would love to spend the evenings listening to amazing African sounds, and hope you can whet out appetite!

The other parts of our itinerary is a stay at Boulders, and then a stay at Skukuza, for a total of 14nights.

We will return the favors by returning and posting some pictures ourselves, and also TR's.
Thanks in advance!

Like everyone else, we're also anxious and thinking of the people who dedicate themselves to the park. We hope that they are all safe and recover. We plan to donate once we are in-country.
-ljr.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Schoemanskloof :D

Here is a sketched map of Roodewal camp: click here

Here are pics of the Roodewal accommodation:

number 3

also number 3

and here are some more

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
The absolute maximum is 18 people who can stay at Roodewal :thumbs_up:

June is an excellent time to be in Kruger! And Roodewal is an excellent camp in June! The Timbavati river should attract lots of animals 8) I have not stayed there myself, but I can only imagine the night sounds will be awesome!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:11 pm 

Hi Schoemanskloof -we have stayed at Roodewal twice (2011 and 2010) and loved it so much we are going back in May! The Sanpark website has not updated their accommodation description as the cottages no longer have lofts. There are 4 cottages each with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a small sitting/kitchen area and stoep. Then there is the communal dining room and separate kitchen and outside braai area with plenty of fridges,pots,crockery,etc. So 16 people is max unless they allow children to sleep on the couch which I doubt.

You should hear night sounds but as is always the case in Kruger the lions,hyenas,etc have to be around -we were lucky to hear them most nights.Our drives from camp were fantastic as we had the road to ourselves for the first hour or two and always saw plenty of general game and usually ellies. There is a lovely birdhide not too far away to get out and stretch your legs -the one time we were surrounded by ellies and had to wait to get back to the car! The scenery is also magnificent and just to sit in camp is wonderful. :thumbs_up:

One thing you probably will need is a lamp of sorts for sitting outside when you braai as it can be a bit dark.Please ask me any questions and I can take more photos if you like when we go in may. :cam:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

pamelajane wrote:
The Sanpark website has not updated their accommodation description as the cottages no longer have lofts. There are 4 cottages each with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a small sitting/kitchen area and stoep. Then there is the communal dining room and separate kitchen and outside braai area with plenty of fridges,pots,crockery,etc. So 16 people is max unless they allow children to sleep on the couch which I doubt.

The cottage closest to the communal area is a bit bigger than the others and has 3 single beds per room, all the other rooms have 2 single beds, which means a total of 18 people can sleep at Roodewal. There are no lofts.

Unit 1 & 2 & 3 all have 2 rooms with 2 single beds each
Unit 4 have 2 rooms with 3 single beds each
Every room has its own en-suite bathroom

Hope that helps you Schoemanskloof. I have lots of pics, if you want me to e-mail some to you just pm me.

16-19 May 2013: Sand River Bush Camp, KNP
22-25 June 2013: Talamati Bush Camp, KNP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next