Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Naturefanatic
Caravan power points can generally handle between 10 to 15 amps (they can vary from place to place)
To calculate amperage you will draw:
Amps = watts / volts
E.g. A 220v product that is rated at 1000 watts will draw 4.5 amps.
Most products specify the wattage somewhere on it.
Make sure everything you plan on plugging in doesnt exceed the maximum amperage the power point can handle. Try and stick to about 80% of the plugs rated power supply as startup current draw is a bit higher for that second or so that it takes the appliance to start running.
Enjoy the experience, camping in KNP is the best!

Post subject: Extra vehicle cost at a campsite
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi All

Does anyone know what the cost is for an extra car and trailer at a CK6P campsite?

Post subject: Re: Extra vehicle cost at a campsite
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 pm 

Hi Glen,

We have camped in Kruger numerous times when meeting friends there. We have never been charged for the extra vehicle.

:whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:56 pm 

I see the site just states an additional rate will be levied for extra vehicles but doesn't stipulate what the charge is?
Suggest possibly calling the reservation office.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Stephan, Elsa.
I sent them an email this afternoon, will see what they say.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:59 pm 

How is it possible that 2 cars can be on one site if no extra charge was payed. Surely each vehicle needs an exit permit and the same reservation number cannot be used for more than one vehicle so that the park can control the vehicles coming in and out. The only way to get around is to ask for two separate exit permits at reception and thereby having it on record on the system . The reservation system should then automatically pick it up as two vehicle pet site and charged for the extra vehicle. :hmz:

If it does not work that way what control is there then for more than 1 vehicle to use the same reservation number and only pay for one site instead of two. Currently there is no control at the camp sites and any one can enter, pitch a tent / park a caravan without any one checking if the booking is for the correct number of vehicles / caravans / persons. The current rate is from R190 for 1-2 persons plus R60 for each extra person. A total of 6 people thus pay R430 per site for one power point. This can be quite a loss in revenue if it is so easy just to pitch up and camp with friends.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have camped twice with 2 vehicles, and have not been charged extra once. We have always made sure that we have made the gate and the camps we have checked in at aware that we have 2 vehicles, and have always been given 2 exit permits.

PRWIN wrote:
How is it possible that 2 cars can be on one site if no extra charge was payed. Surely each vehicle needs an exit permit and the same reservation number cannot be used for more than one vehicle so that the park can control the vehicles coming in and out. The only way to get around is to ask for two separate exit permits at reception and thereby having it on record on the system . The reservation system should then automatically pick it up as two vehicle pet site and charged for the extra vehicle. :hmz:

If it does not work that way what control is there then for more than 1 vehicle to use the same reservation number and only pay for one site instead of two. Currently there is no control at the camp sites and any one can enter, pitch a tent / park a caravan without any one checking if the booking is for the correct number of vehicles / caravans / persons. The current rate is from R190 for 1-2 persons plus R60 for each extra person. A total of 6 people thus pay R430 per site for one power point. This can be quite a loss in revenue if it is so easy just to pitch up and camp with friends.

When you fill in your gate form you have to state how many people in your car and that is on the permit, if it is different to the number of people in the car you wont be allowed entry, also surely when checking in for camping that number is also checked?

Or is it sadly people just not taking the extra effort to do something, I recently took 2 German friends to KNP. Myself and my Father both have wild cards, but after check in I had to ask why there had been no conservation fee's charged for my friends and I got the reply "but you have a wild card". I dont think enough care is taken when people check-in at gates or at camps.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:45 am 

Just to confirm, we also had exit permits for both vehicles.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
In the past I have organised goups of up to 40 people to go to Kruger, Kgalagadi and Addo on one reservation.

I gave each vehicle a 'booklet' that I created (with animal & bird lists, do's and don'ts etc) with the reservation number on it. Each was given a permit at the gate on the strength of that.

I am sure that multiple vehicles per reservation is not that rare.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Under accomodation descriptions they mention an extra charge for extra vehicles, hence my question posted.

I queried reservations and they replied saying its R20 extra p/n per extra vehicle, yet many replies above show gates and camps not charging.

So which is it :hmz:

Post subject: Sleep in a tent in August in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 pm 

Hello everybody,
I would to know if it is not to cold in August in the Kruger Park to sleep in a tent ?
Is it possible to rent or buy one in the park or near to the park ? And how much it would cost ?
Thank you for you help.
Benjamin

Post subject: Re: Sleep in a tent in August in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

It will be cold, but not impossible. August is the end of the winter and will on average already be warmer than July.

I have done it in May and July which are the coldest months.

I am not aware of any shop selling tents in KNP. You can buy in towns such as Nelspruit / Mbombela and Phalaborwa. Game stores or outdoor shops is an option.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would say as long as you have extra blankets just for in case and a lekker tracksuit with socks to sleep in youll be fine :D

as for the tents you can only buy it outside the park,game, trappers trading or a camping store

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have camped in June and July which are colder, all you need is a good blanket/sleeping bag and a tracksuit, it was very pleasant and enjoyable :mrgreen:

Last year I did camp in August which happened to be just after the snow over much of the country, it was 0 degrees over night but to me that just added to the fun of it :thumbs_up: It just means more coffee and amarula

Enjoy 8)

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Dupacc wrote:
Hi Benjamin 1349

benjamin1349 wrote:
I would to know if it is not to cold in August in the Kruger Park to sleep in a tent ?

We've often camped in tents in Kruger during the Winter months and found the best way to keep warm at night is to isolate us from the cold coming from beneath us. We put newspapers or another blanket on the ground and /or under us.

I wish you a fantastic time in the park and hope that you will find the tents that will meet your needs. :) :)

The newspaper advice is spot on. Just one of the zillion uses for old newspapers. ( It is good for starting a fire, cleaning the windows, packing breakable stuff, use as a sun shield on the windows, wipe your hands and emergency toilet paper. Oh, you can read it as well.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next