Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Camping in Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm 

If you had to chose between camping in June or August which would it be?

Addo 29 - 31 April 2014

Augrabies 17 - 19 Dec 2014
KTP (Twee Rivieren) 19 - 24 Dec 2014
Mokala (Motswedi Camp) 24 - 27 Dec 2014
Karoo 27 - 29 Dec 2014

Post subject: Re: Camping in Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 pm 

Both are going to be very very cold! We were there in July 2011, and woke up to frozen dishtowels and bath towels, as well as ice on the windscreen on both mornings. The sightings were lovely, and we had beautiful days though.

Other suggestions on the board are to avoid school holidays as it gets quite noisy, but we were there during the holidays and in the tent section, didn't really notice a lot of noise.

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:35 pm 

if you can go as late as possible in August, the spring flowers are starting in the park and it is quite spectacular

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm with Biekieloo, I grew up in the Eastern Cape and July is freezing!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Campsite at Addo is one of the best in Sanparks. June or August could be quite cold. Spring in later August is good. Possibly may rain in August though, possibly no rain in June. But these days the weather seems all over the place. Try to get your tent under a tree to avoid the frost on it. I hope that whenever you decide to go you will have the best time. Game viewing is really good in Addo. So enjoy! I am :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:39 pm 

I find it odd that Addo has only camping at the main camp. Are there any plans to open up camp sites elsewhere in the park?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Until recent years Jacani, the main camp in Addo was the only one (in the main section).

Matyholweni and Spekbook are recent aadditions.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jacani

If you are asking for campsites where you use your own tent -- no luck. I have written to Megan and encouraged them to open a special campsite in the new Matyholweni area, and they opened Spekboom instead, which is not bad, but not cheap either, and you use their safari tents.
There is still a big need for such a small camp, but nothing new, in spite of those promises -- everything is "longterm" in Sanparks -- they like taking their time over things, to do it properly, to use local labour, and to think about it twice, a few more times.... a good example was the Addo webcam -- from plan to execution took a very long time! Same with the new picnic spot (Jacks), but in the end it is worth the wait!
Right now I am waiting for them to take the lionesses off contraceptives so Addo can have some new cubs to photograph....!

Enjoy your camping!

God bless,

Friedrich von Horsten

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 am 
Guru
Guru

Situated on the banks of the Sundays River, the Mvubu Campsite provides three stands with a maximum of four people per stand. One hot water shower (paraffin-powered) and one flush toilet are available. There are braai sites and visitors must provide their own firewood. Water for washing is available but visitors should take their own drinking water. Canoes are available for use on the Sundays River – please contact the ranger on duty. Swimming and fishing is allowed in the Sundays River but please note that hippos do occur in the river and could be potentially dangerous.

The campsite is accessible with high clearance vehicles only and is located near the town of Kirkwood, approximately 45 minutes to one hour’s drive from Addo Rest Camp. The Kabouga area is not home to the Big Five.

This accommodation can only be booked at Addo Main Camp. The cost for the first two people is R110. Additional adults or children under 12 pay R30 per person.

Fayroush Ludick
Communications Manager - Frontier Region

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have been to Addo several times (with caravan) and I must say of all the Sanparks camp sites this one takes some beating. There may only be the one camp site at Addo Main Camp but it is tops. An example to all the other sites in Sanparks (I have not been to them all) and the staff are to be complimented on their hard work in keeping Addo Camping sites so amazing. Next on my list as far a caravaning goes is Shingwedzi and Crocodile Bridge. The rest of Addo Park even to the southernmost area is easily accessible from the main camp.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:25 pm 

A belated thanks for the responses to my query.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:45 am 

I am thinking of going to Addo in Feb or March next year and intend to caravan in the campsite.

I have read lots of lovely reviews but would like some more specific advise from people who have camped there.

I have just had a look at the tarrif page on the website and it seems that there are a few different types of campsite in the main rest camp as there are 3 different prices ranging from R190 to R230 per night.

One of my main requirements is that my site has a nice view. I can sit for hours and look at a nice view and feel at peace with the world. When we last stayed there a few years ago, we stayed in one of the forest cabins which was completely surrounded with thick bush/trees and no view whatsoever. I did not enjoy it at all. I am not too fussed with shade as we have a gazebo for this and will opt for a view anytime.

Can anyone advise me about which type of site to book or even better, some site no's with a nice view? I camp at Storms River quite often and have a list of my favourite site no's. Once I have paid and got my reservation confirmation, I phone the park and book a specific site. It works like a charm and I would like to be able to do this at Addo as well.

Can anyone help with this?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 am 

We have camped at Addo a few times and I don't think there is view from any of the sites at Addo.
There are caravan sites (6 people) and small camp sites (very small only for 4 people). The camp sites are between the Safari Tents and Caravan sites and have very little view. The caravan sites are in the centre with no perimeter view.
The Safari Tents are amazing and have an amazing view. Stayed there twice and had two very special sightings both times within a meters from our deck.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 am 

Hi Alex,
You need to book a caravan site and pay the relevant fee that pertains to that site. One caravan site has a view of the park (I don't recall the site number) but it is in the corner just past the communal kitchen.
Unfortunately you cannot book the sites, it is based on a first come first serve bases. We prefer the ones further from the ablutions as it allows for more peace and quiet.
Enjoy the park.