Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Where have you grown up and where's your roots?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Loving this thread :D

All good things come from Benoni by the way. Anyone remember the advert, "where did you have your first Campari?"

Ifubesi, I have a bit of a soft spot for Bothaville. Its where I ran my first half marathon many, many years ago. They grow up tough there. :wink: I think I came in about third last. In Joburg I would have been the middle of the pack. I was even overtaken by a tannie twice my size and double my age :redface:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born and bred in Pretoria and went to school in the shadow of Loftus Versfeld, then moved to Johannesburg in 1975 and have been here ever since except for 8 years between Jan 2003 and end 2010.
In this period I was lucky enough to live and work in Atyrau in Kazakhstan, Ulaan Bataar in Mongolia, Beijing in China and the last 3.5 years in Dubai in the UAE. This exposed me to different cultures and especially climates (from -30C to -40C in Mongolia to + 50C in Dubai). Work also took me for short periods to UK, Australia and Papua New Guinea (and I'm hoping for a trip to South America soon :lol: ) It was fascinating to see so much of the world and work with so many different nationalities. It also made me more tolerant of differences and widened my perspective considerably.

I always came home to SA 3 or more times a year and first on the holiday agenda was a trip to Kruger.

Where is my roots? Here in SA definitely but with interesting memories from of all over.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Bomsevrou wrote:
... It was fascinating to see so much of the world and work with so many different nationalities. It also made me more tolerant of differences and widened my perspective considerably....
tolerance... is the key word :thumbs_up: :clap:
what a nice distance (distance covered ???!?) you had :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
billyf wrote:
spargish wrote:
I was born in Benoni, grew up in Boksburg. I love the east of JHB and dont think I couldlive any where else in JHB. I worked In Nelspruit for a couple months and that was the only City I felt i could move to and be happy other than Boksburg.

And Cheetah you have it wrong there is no Burger like a Boksburger 8)

Well somebody has to live in Boksburg .... and Benoni :tongue: :thumbs_up:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great thread this..

I was born in Port Elizabeth and left South Africa as a small child. I lived in Rome, then Bangkok and then Rome again, before moving to the UK aged 10, where I have lived in rural Somerset, then Birmingham, Cardiff and currently London.

I visit South Africa regularly. My British wife, who has a Xhosa great great grandfather (also from Port Elizabeth coincidentally) loves South Africa luckily, so we have visited twice since getting married last year - she is very jealous that I have both green and red passports!

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bomsevrou wrote:
I was born and bred in Pretoria and went to school in the shadow of Loftus Versfeld, then moved to Johannesburg in 1975 and have been here ever since except for 8 years between Jan 2003 and end 2010.
In this period I was lucky enough to live and work in Atyrau in Kazakhstan, Ulaan Bataar in Mongolia, Beijing in China and the last 3.5 years in Dubai in the UAE. This exposed me to different cultures and especially climates (from -30C to -40C in Mongolia to + 50C in Dubai). Work also took me for short periods to UK, Australia and Papua New Guinea (and I'm hoping for a trip to South America soon :lol: )

Where is my roots? Here in SA definitely but with interesting memories from of all over.

Wow you really have worked all over the world :clap: - what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 am 

I think I am the first one on here from the states born in Las Vegas Nevada USA, but have lived in Orlando Florida USA for 22 years, it is nice to meet all of you from SA. I love your country alot. I hope to get to Kruger in Dec 2013

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you Ilytel :D always lovely to meet people from another part of the world.

I wish you a stunning trip in 2013, but in the meantime, stick around.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born in pretoria we lived their till mid 94 we then moved to tzaneen where I finished my matric in 98, I then studied musical theatre and from their well too many things happened so I landed up in the cape and then back to pretoria where I married my ex husband and then moved back to tzaneen after a year their got divorced and 1st daughter was born, then moved back to the cape then to nelspruit when I finally met my current husband and my second daughter was born, we then moved back to tzaneen and now currently in ermelo! My roots are imbedded in Tzaneen cos somehow I always land up going back their its a beautiful town the rivers, falls, greenery, trees if you haven't been their your missing out and once the people their have accepted you into their community well they will move heaven and earth for you, my whole family still lives their and honestly I dont think they will ever move

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 pm 

Hello Meandering Mouse,

Thanks for the welcome, I know this site is growing big time here in florida, I issue construction permits here in Orlando and I have been showing hundreds of contractors this site showing them Nossob since I was there in 2008 and showing them Satara and Orpen cams which is where I want to go to in December this year. I have contractors call me on the phone at work and ask me if I have seen anything on the cams....lol.

You should come to Florida and visit Mickey Mouse.

Nice talking to you

Larry

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:47 pm 

Well I was born in Augsburg in Bavria (Germany), Then I moved to Cologne. Where I have lived from 1992-2001. Then I lifed from 2001-2003 in Maseru /Lesotho, Then I went back to Germany to cologne. After that I have worked in the National park unteres Odertal, wihich is in Brandenburg (eastern part of Germany) close to the Polish Border. Afterwarrds in 2008 I studied in Trier. Then I made an Internship of the small Island Rügen. Then I moved to Namibia where I have lifed close to Etoscha, in the Tiras Mountains and Sossousvlei. the I moved back to cologbe, writing my BA Thesis, afterwards I start my Master Degree in Greifswald very close to the eastern sea.

So that is my CV in short :-)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:11 am 

Wow Malealea,

It must be beautiful wilderness over there near the Poland border, and wow to live in Lesotho and also Namibia especially living near Etoscha.

My dream would be to live outside of one of the parks like Kruger, just so I could go into the park everyday.

My highlight of my life right now is watching the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Houston Rockets compete in game 2 of round 1 of the NBA playoffs.....lol

Larry

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:24 pm 

Well the beginning in Namibia was tough, especially the start close to Etoscha. I had some trouble over there, so this spot is one of my memories which isn´t good. But Sossousvlei was absolutley great. I belive I found my paradise :-)