Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Phalaborwa Scorpion Sting Karma
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:53 am 

Hi Folks
I was involved in a scorpion sting in December where they guy stepped on a seriously venomous scorpion (Parabuthus transvaalicus). Asked to help out and answer a few questions form the patient.

A local doctor in Phalaborwa prescribed rubbing Handy Andy (kitchen cleaner) and ice on the sting site. He was also adamant that scorpions don't inject venom, rather they scratch the skin leaving a deposit of venom. Any rubbing of the scratch forces venom into the victims skin. He considers antivenom as to risky a treatment to even consider.

After over 28 days of pain and suffering (and probably lots of Handy Andy) the poor patient was feeling much better.

Irony is a bitch because this week, the same doctor was stung by Parabuthus transvaalicus :-) He washed sting site with mentholated spirits (cos he read that scorpion venom is not soluble in water).
He's injecting his foot with anesthetic every few hours and rubbing on Handy Andy. He has realised that rubbing ice on a serious sting IS a bad idea.

I still find it difficult to believe that there are doctors that still think this way and are clueless in the case of scorpion stings. Maybe he will learn from his experience.

I think this is called Karma!

Post subject: Re: Phalaborwa Scorpion Sting Karma
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lol maybe he will be able to give the right remedies the next time around lmao :D

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Scorpie, 2010 I was stung by the same scorpion, in the same town. :lol: :lol:

I went to the local Vet, believe it or not. Got antivenom, and 3 days later it was all over. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 am 

Hi Scipio
that's more like it! Can you remember the doctor's name? In the original incident the doctor told the patient that patients usually have a serious reaction to antivenom so he does not prescribe it (which is rubbish). The local hospital had 1 vile (5ml) of antivenom which they "only use for children".

Antivenom costs just under R800 for a 5ml vile from www.savp.co.za. In an emergency, the best place to get it from is not a hospital but vets as more dogs get stung by scorpions than humans. Dogs also have a smaller body mass compared to an adult, therefore suffer greater symptoms. There are issues that need to be considered when using antivenom but it's a very effective and fast acting treatment which I would recommend for serious envenomations.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 am 

Scipio
any chance you can write me a short bit of text about your experience with the sting and antivenom? I'm not looking for a novel, just a few sentences about how you were sting and your experience with receiving antivenom (any reaction), time it too to recover.

I would certainly appreciate it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Scorpie, it was the vet at the top end of town, cannot remember the name. :wall:

It is a fact that the veternarians have more stock of antivenom. So when in Phalagat, refer scorpionstings and snakebites to the vets. :lol: :lol: And they actually know what they do. :thumbs_up:

Scorpie, I was stung at about 8pm, wearing slops I stepped on the head of said Scorpion, obviously very peeved he let rip, but the force of the sting had him stuck in my heel. :big_eyes:

One thing I can say, I have had 3 stings already, and even the normal little Scorpions , the pain is excrutiating.

Antivenom was applied/injected around 40 minutes later. The foot was without feeling for a while, a bit of a headache(Probably the antivenom or the beer :twisted: Then it was over, with a slight hard little spot for a month or so at the sting site. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I saw my first serious scorpion in Kruger recently in Tzendze. What should one do in a case of a sting? This was a lightish fellow, small pincers and a big tail.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I saw my first serious scorpion in Kruger recently in Tzendze. What should one do in a case of a sting? This was a lightish fellow, small pincers and a big tail.

if it was me Id RUNNNNNN! ;)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!