Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thank you JenB, Carol g, and RobertT, for you valuable input. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

RT, I do see your point of view, and I do understand that there has to be rules, and those rules enforced, for the good of everyone. However, rules are usually generic entities that are broad enough to cover many situations - this is almost always a necessity as every unique situation cannot be covered, let alone predicted, before it arises. It is not that our dogs are a nuisance - on the contrary, they are sociable and well-looked after. It is also not that we are bringing in a third dog just to be contrary and challenging to the rules - rather, this is a special situation where we are seeking to allow a life to live its course, with the love and attention it deserves. The situation is also very temporary as Tessie will most likely not live longer than a couple of years. The BC could easily see it for what it is, and, in this case, grant a single extraordinary decision, with stipulations to suit all, if it so chose. We have all been model occupants and I think that deserves some consideration too. Also, I have frequently turned a blind eye to many transgressions of rules that take place within the complex, all for the sake of decency and communal harmony. I could have been a pedantic stickler for abiding by the rules, and then been one of those people that complained for everything, sending letters to the BC, and forcing them to address each one. I'm not one of those people and my experience is that most people are not either. In fact, it seems that many people that we have spoken to either don't even know that we have three dogs (let alone two or one!), or are quite happy to let them be here since they are bothering no-one. Each situation needs to be judged on its merits.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It's interesting how different BC s are, some will say take it or leave it , and others like a few I know in Bloemfontein , will go the extra mile and call a special meeting to try and help.

Makes you think. :(

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Post subject: Re: Do animals grieve?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Elephants certainly do.

I have seen them hang around a dead family member and try to 'revive' them. Also they have chased lions from a carcass with great ferocity.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:09 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
JenB wrote:
I think animals have exactly the same emotions as we have. They feel sad at times and happy too. They long, they grieve, they love. The only difference between us and animals are that we live by different rules and we speak in a language we can understand, they communicate too just we don't always get it.Animals are amazing.

I agree with JenB! My three doggies are still looking for Rudolph in the garage, because we took him to the vet, and returned without him. Carla didn't eat for four days after Rudolph was gone. She just looked at me as if she wanted to blame me for him not returning. It is so sad! How do you make them understand? :cry:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes!! Animals do certainly grieve. I've seen it with our dogs and cats. In the wild, elephants are well-documented in their mourning. Mothers of young also mourn their dead babies.

The most heartbreaking was when our brood mare died. She had a very late-term abortion (6 weeks before due date), was rushed to hospital but was so badly ruptured inside that we had to have her put down. The stallion that was the sire-to-be (artificial insemination, so he didn't really know) whinnied for her for 3 days. I had to cope with grooms in tears, daughter in UK in tears and stallion " in tears" - and me in tears!

Animals have far deeper emotions and intelligence than they are often credited with.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:10 pm 

Animals most definately grieve, especially elephants!!!! :(

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:yaya: .......Just a little story about Elephants grieving. :w:

IN A STUNNING DISPLAY OF CONNECTEDNESS, ELEPHANTS MOURN DEATH OF LAWRENCE ANTHONY
https://www.onegreenplanet.org/
Condensed by Native Village

A conservationist and author known as “The Elephant Whisperer,” Anthony was known for his unique ability to communicate with and calm traumatized Elephants. In his book ‘The Elephant Whisperer: My Life with the Herd in the African Wild’, he tells the story of saving two herds of wild South African Elephants.
Uniquely committed to these animals, Anthony concluded: ”To save their lives, I would stay with them, feed them, talk to them. But, most importantly, be with them day and night.”
Following Anthony’s death, the herds of Elephants embarked on a 12 hour journey to visit his wife and children at their home. According to Anthony’s son, in the year and a half they had lived there, the Elephants had never visited their home. He was quoted: ”in coming up there on that day of all days, we certainly believe that they had sensed it.”
While it remains incredible that the Elephants were able to sense his death, Elephants are in fact known for their grieving rituals. Researchers have observed Elephants grieving the deaths of their relatives, both in the wild and in captivity.
Lawrence Anthony, a legend in South Africa and author of 3 books including the bestseller The Elephant Whisperer, bravely rescued wildlife and rehabilitated Elephants all over the globe from human atrocities, including the courageous rescue of Baghdad Zoo animals during the US invasion in2003.
On March 7, 2012 Lawrence Anthony died. He is remembered and missed by his wife, 2 sons, 2 grandsons and numerous Elephants.
Two days after his passing, a remarkable thing happened! The wild Elephants showed up at his home led by two large Matriarchs. Separate wild herds arrived in droves to say "goodbye" to their beloved man-friend. A total of 20 Elephants had patiently walked over 12 miles to get to his South African house.
Witnessing this spectacle, many people were obviously in awe, not only because of the supreme intelligence and precise timing that these Elephants sensed about Lawrence's passing, but also because of the profound memory and emotion that the beloved animals evoked in such an organized way. Walking slowly - for days - making their way in a solemn one-by-one queue from their habitat to his house.
Lawrence's wife, Francoise, was especially touched, knowing that the Elephants had not been to his house prior to that day for well over a year, yet they knew where they were going! The Elephants obviously wanted to pay their deep respects, honouring their friend who'd saved their lives - so much respect that they stayed for 2 days and 2 nights. Then one morning, they left, making their long journey back home.

:) Makes a person think :)

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi OWN, just wanted to know if you have managed to see your BC yet, and if so, any joy from them?

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Where is Threedogs, haven't heard from you in a while, wondering how the cat and the dogs are doing, also I hope all those terrible fires are under control. Please let us know.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Carol g and everyone! :)

Our Greyspot cat is healing well as far as I can tell :? She still won't come near the house and whilst it was very hot she had been sleeping in the shed where I left food and water. These last two days have been much milder and she has disappeared. Probably holed up somewhere nearby in the surrounding yard/paddock! Hopefully she comes to her senses and her old normal self soon.

The two bitches are still segregated :roll: We walk them all together each day and last night we accidently let them come nose to nose whilst sniffing an echidna hole - there was no aggression but we have still observed tension between the two.

I do think we will get them back together......it is just going to take time. I think the walks might be the key. When the weather is cool, I will take the two girls together with soft muzzles and try to 'break' through the barrier!

We have been incredibly fortunate here in South Australia to so far escape serious fires. Not so in Tasmania, Victoria and New South Wales.
Although AFAIK no lives have been lost, but a great many homes and properties destroyed as well as poor wildlife and stock. :(

Thanks for thinking of us. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:48 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Great to hear that things are looking up, 3D. :clap: It indeed looks positive that things will get back to normal. Amazing how the fires in Oz are so difficult to control, what with all our technology and all. Glad that no lives have been lost. :D

Carol g wrote:
Hi OWN, just wanted to know if you have managed to see your BC yet, and if so, any joy from them?

Thanks for asking Carol. I sent them a response e-mail yesterday, which will probably force the trustees to meet and decide on their next move. They had threatened to seek legal advice if Tessie was not removed from our premises by yesterday and that we would be liable for all such costs. I did some homework and have both asked them to meet with me face-to-face to see if we can resolve things amicably as well as informing them that I will not be liable for costs as the situation stands now. Awaiting their reply.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

onewithnature wrote:
They had threatened to seek legal advice if Tessie was not removed from our premises by yesterday and that we would be liable for all such costs. I did some homework and have both asked them to meet with me face-to-face to see if we can resolve things amicably as well as informing them that I will not be liable for costs as the situation stands now. Awaiting their reply.

Being a lover of Nature and Animals myself (and all of us), i know how you feel.
If there are rules, Registered at the Deeds office and not stating anything about pets, they have got no leg to stand on.
:)

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
New back to the forum thought I would just through my Zoo in here.
The question is after all Do you have pets?

Ridgeback male (Rigby)
Ridgeback Female (Perdy)
Foxy male (Sako)
Foxy Female (Uzzi)
Labrador x what ever was walking by male (Freddie)

Texas Rat Snake (Medusa)

3 human kids & one husband (yes they do count)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Gee NetEk, that sure is quite a zoo you have there!!!! :D :D

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wonderful NekEk! I love your sense of humour! :lol: :lol:

WELCOME to the forums! Your Zoo sounds lovely! :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 97  Next