Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 7
 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Going to the Northern Cape slowly.
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now we're going to KZN slowly.
We're in Golden Gate Highlands National Park at the Basotho Cultural Village for one night. Already smiling broadly.
The Vulture Hide is a brilliant idea! We love it. Found a jackal feeding on a carcass and got great pics.
On our way to the Village we found a Crowned Crane next to the road. Lifer for DuQues.
Large herds of antilope in front of the Village as usual. Springbokke, Black Wildebeest, Zebra, Eland, Red Hartebeest and Blesbokke.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there on our last night in KZN. :yaya: We're in an Ezemvelo run reserve but have to share a big Mammal Lifer for us both. We at last got to tick the elusive Samango Monkey. 8) Our neighbours alerted us to their presence early this morning and we got to see them properly. Watching a troop of vervets settle for the night this afternoon, we realized how totally different these monkeys are to Samangos. Sometimes you need to go to new places to tick new stuff.

Natal treated us very well, with some lifers birdwise and reptile wise in the form of a Spotted Bush-snake.

Tomorrow we're back in Golden Gate for 2 nights. 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
some :hmz: ... or all of them

That is almost 8000 photos, that may be a little too much! :) (And, believe it or not, I also get bloopers. :( )

Two examples, the hyena is out of order in Lightroom, and the spider is actually the size of an ant. But is a good example to show that I did go for the small things too.

For those too eager to see the photos, they will be placed here while we work. And not all photos are Sanparks related, so will not show up here. ;)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We witnessed an awesome weather phenomenon in Augrabies as a storm system passed. The time of day (late afternoon), angle of the sun, storm clouds and rain created this spectacle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Augrabies storm system that soaked us to the skin about 30 minutes after I made this photo in front of reception.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After the storm had passed.....

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Of course we managed to make photos of some animals too. ;)

For those that forget that there are giraffes in Augrabies:

These are two of the giraffes that Augrabies Guru reports from the nightdrives. And indeed we saw them too.

One of the baboons on Moonrock:

And one of the many Namaqua sandgrouse that blend in so well into the background that you almost drive over them.

A lot more photos have been uploaded to Dropbox, but we are not going to post all the photos here, that will just clog up the topic. Just click the link from a few posts back to see them, or the one in my signature. We tried to capture some of the awesome landscape, and I think we did fairly well.
Just know that GP was very reluctant to go to Augrabies and KTP. "There is nothing there!" was what she used to say. But she braved it, quite possibly because I love the arid regions (and Namibia), and because of all the tripreports she read here and on Facebook. And?

Totally fell in love with the arid region! 8) Most of the landscape photos were made by GP, she went quite wild with her camera. And got good results, which is another bit of proof that she loved it. ;) So if you are also reluctant to go, just check the photos....

Edit: Oops! I am logged in as GP, but it is Duco posting. :hmz: Oh well.... Logging out and back in!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:54 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Oranjekom, as you can not see it with even a wide-angle lens. This is actually a sort of panoramic photo made from 17 photos. You will need a fish-eye lens (less than 9 mm) to get this otherwise.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The scenery in Augrabies National Park often left me utterly speechless. Words can NOT describe this very special Arid Park. I doubt even photo's do it justice.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Since we had the Terios as a vehicle, a very spunky and highly recommended little 4X4 btw!, we did the Western Section of Augrabies. We did see one sedan drive past the picnic spot, but I would NOT take a sedan in there! :lol: We barely saw any vehicles that day. I think 2 only? :hmz: You pass under a provincial road to get into the Western Section, this being your first view of where you're going.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I never would've believed that absolute aridness can be stunningly beautiful.... Made in the middle of the Western Section of Augrabies....

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After years of convincing me that Kgalagadi was worth visiting, I got to see the Park you either hate or love - no inbetweens. :lol:

I certainly get why some people absolutely do NOT like Kgalagadi - the roads are mildly put - terrible. BUT honestly, you know that when you book and if you've done your homework. Live with it because this is one AWESOME park. :D I lost my heart in the Kalahari.

The first animal to greet me to KTP was this beauty in the dunes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kgalagadi knew it had to pull out all the stops, and it sure did. :D

When we arrived, it was in the middle of the hottest part of the day. So we spent the afternoon at Twee Rivieren delivering stuff for Tsammaland and meeting up with friends. 8) We left for Urikaruus around 4. I had NO idea what to expect so imagine my awestruck reaction when this was what we saw:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Guinea Pig wrote:
As a newbie to the area and escpecially Augrabies and Kgalagadi, I'm looking forward to this trip tremendously.
(...)
I have only read positive things about both, so am thinking if that's for real?! Are they both such gems?

If so, we're tentatively planning a trip from Namibia via 4x4 with rooftop tent, including Richtersveld and Namaqua. That's a huge step for me. After years of convincing me to go to the Arid parks, it seems very likely at the moment. 8)

This she wrote a few weeks ago in this topic. What she did not write is her reaction to my proposition to go to those parks many moons ago. It was something like "But there is nothing there! Boggerall, nothing!" And then she went onto Google Earth, and looked from the top, which indeed shows rock and sand, and not much more. A rather bleak picture, try it yourself.

But for me this was a very important trip. If she liked the landscape and sightings I might be able to persuade her to go to Namibia. Naukluft, Sossusvlei, Fish River Canyon, Skeleton Coast, you name it. Perfect for photography and relaxing.
And guess what?

She loves it. 8) I can see notifications of photos being posted to our dropbox account the whole time while I type this. Which means she is very happy with her landscape photos (and getting ahead of my long lens photos). Which also means she really, really loves the arid parks. :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kgalagadi in December = HOT! :D This is a typical scene during the hot part of the day.

Mata-Mata in the middle of the day.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next