Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 275  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you Hippotragus! I am looking forward to your entry! I feel much more relaxed already! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Relax hilda :wink:

We are all still here burning the grey cells and :wall:

Might as well send in my answers. Not expecting to do well at all :( :pray:

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I almost gave up on no 8, then suddenly there it was!!!! :doh: 10/10 for me :D :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Lizet and Deefstes, sorry for not entering your recent ID Challenges. I have been busy and have not been able to devote the time to them that they need. Good luck to everyone with this week's challenge. Don't forget, have fun!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm 

9/10 for #47 :lol: No 2 got me :redface:

I wish you all a Mery Christmas and happy new year. For those who go on holdiday, enjoy and drive safetly. Hope to hear from all of you in the new year.

THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERY ONE FOR ALL THE CHALLENGES. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. :thanx: :thanx:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Very well done Ladybirder and Jakkie Human! :clap: :clap:

A merry Christmas to you too Jakkie, and everything of the very best for 2013. Are you also leaving on Friday? If so, have a safe journey, and enjoy your holiday! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry Hilda, but I am afraid that I will not make it this week; too many things to do :slap:

I hope I'll have a broad band that works in SA and will join in again in the New Year.

A merry Christmas to all of you Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Wish all of you a wonderful Christmas and everything of the best in the new year :gflower:

Travel safely all :thumbs_up:

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately I have also not had the time to do the last 2 quizzes. I want to wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year! Travel safe out there and God Bless! :D :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Micetta and Ferdelance, no problem! :thumbs_up:

A merry Christmas to you all, and a very happy New Year! :dance: :dance:

For those of you who are going on holiday, enjoy your flights/drive safely and enjoy! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:05 pm 

9/10 for #47 :dance:

May I take this opportunity to thank all those that have kept these quizzes going this year - it's much appreciated. :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap: :clap: :gflower:

I also wish everybody a Joyous & SAFE Festive Season.

Looking forward to what the new year will bring birding-wise...... European rarities would be nice (seeing as I'm in UK).

Need to think of where to go on my holiday next year.... Kenya or South Africa :hmz:

Dave

Shingwedzi - 7-8/11/2011
Letaba - 9/11/2011
Olifants - 10/11/2011
Satara - 11/11/2011
Skukuza - 12/11/2011
Berg-en-dal - 13-14/11/2011

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:54 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi All,

Here are the answers to Bird ID Challenge #47 as sent to me by Deefstes:

Bird #1 - African Golden Oriole

This is a somewhat tricky picture due to the fact that the wing coverts aren't visible, which would usually be a very prominent identification feature and secondly due to the unexpected plumage of this individual. The bird is very near adulthood and has the plumage of an adult but still the dark bill of a juvenile. The black stripe that extends well behind the eye and the fine streaking on the underparts should be enough to ID it though.

Bird #2 - Blue-cheeked Bee-eater

This one shouldn't have been too difficult but I included it because birds in this worn adult plumage are sometimes confused for Madagascar Bee-eater. All the important features are still visible, even if some of it are a bit diminished. The blue facial markings (above and below the black eye stripe) has faded and appears almost white, the green crown is a darker olive hue and the yellow chin is also much less conspicuous. If you look closely though, you will still see that these features are all present. Madagascar Bee-eater never has any hint of blue on the face and the rufous throat patch is quite broad and extends to below the eyes. There are two subspecies of Madagascar Bee-eater, the nominate eastern population always has a brown crown, no hint of green. The western population (also known as Olive Bee-eater) shows a pale greenish hue in the crown but will not have any yellow on the chin.

Bird #3 - Eurasian Hobby

Fairly straight forward one this (once you get over the shock of the horrible picture quality). Female Amur Falcon lacks the bold malar stripe, has a barred breast and belly, red/orange cere, eye ring and legs and the rufous vent is much paler.
Pale morph Eleonora's Falcon has rufous extending much further up the body and is much more slender looking bird with longer wings and a longer tail.

Bird #4 - Grey Tit

Only real contender for confusion would be Ashy Tit which has grey flanks as opposed to light brown and blue-grey upperparts with black primaries as opposed to the dark brown of this bird.

Bird #5 - Grey Wagtail

While there are numerous colour forms of Yellow Wagtail, some that may even approximate this bird, none of them have a grey back. More importantly though, the extremely long tail of this bird should give it away immediately.

Bird #6 - Kurrichane Buttonquail

Not likely to be confused with other Buttonquails but could possibly be confused with Common Quail or Harlequin Quail, neither of which has the tell-tale cream coloured iris. Also, as regards plumage there are a number of differences but the black spots on the flanks are perhaps the most useful.

Bird #7 - Swamp Nightjar

The white eyebrow and moustachial stripe, combined with the general spotted appearance (rather than streaked) with no obvious lines formed by wing spots separates this from Square-tailed Nightjar.

Bird #8 - White-crowned Lapwing

No other Lapwing has that much white in the wing with the only exception being Long-toed Lapwing, which lacks the big black patch on the upperwing. Also, the yellow wattle can be seen, if only just.

Bird #9 - White-winged Tern

The first important thing to note is that these are marsh terns or Chlidonias terns. That immediately narrows down the search to just three species and the black colour (as opposed to steel grey) already rules out Whiskered Tern. One might be tempted to go with Black Tern but the black underwing coverts rules that one out. Rather counter intuitively, the Black Tern has white underwing coverts while the White-winged Tern has black underwing coverts.

Bird #10 - Black-legged Kittiwake

Once you realise that this is not a gull there isn't really anything you could confuse it with. Immature birds might have posed a minor ID challenge with Sabine's Gull but in this adult plumage it is a fairly straight forward matter. Now if only finding them in South Africa was as straight forward...

There were eight entries for this challenge, and I thank you all very much for entering!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a very happy, prosperous 2013!

Our next challenge will start on 11 January 2013!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm relieved to note you don't publish the names and scores of the entrants, as I would like to join in, but will be fortunate indeed to get any answers correct. :big_eyes:

When is the next quiz being posted?

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Huntsman, that is wonderful news! You are more than welcome to join in! :dance: :dance:

Challenge #1/2013 will be posted by AdrianP on 11 January 2013, and he will post the answers a week later, on 18 January 2013. He will also send you a PM with your results. :wink:

It is your own decision whether you want to put your score on the open forum or not. You are under no obligation to make your results known if you don't want to. Although most of us do, whether it is good or bad. :tongue:

I normally inform the participants a week ahead by whom the next challenge will be posted, since we have a few volunteers who are kind enough to spend their precious time on us! :D

Please join in and ENJOY! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Hilda -

Great stuff, thank you very much.

Guess I'll be swotting for the next week or so...!

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 275  Next