Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Route MZP to Knysna
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:24 pm 

Hi all
Which route would you recommend from Mountain Zebra to the Knysna area. Back to Port Elizabeth or the R61?
Approximately how long to drive? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Route MZP to Knysna
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Be bold ,after leaving from PE area , take the turn-off to Kareedou then R62 through the Langkloof , then at Avontuur , take the R339 - Prince Alfreds pass , be sure to stop for tea at Die Vlug , and continue on the absolutely spectacular pass over the mountain to Keurbooms river . You will not regret this - ever :doh: . -

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:04 pm 

Hi Okie
Thanks for that recommendation. We are better coming back to the PE road rather than the R61?

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Gracie , that depends on how fast you want to drive . The R61 is more scenic , up to Graaf Reinet , then on N9 , etc . Personally , we prefer gravel roads , usually even more scenic and would take the R337 to Willowmore , then Uniondale etc .
Just take your time , stop anywhere under a tree and enjoy . But that's us .
As I said , be bold .... and enjoy .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 pm 

Hi Okie, Many thanks for the suggestions. We are coming from Bontebok, Goucamma, Addo, MZP , the Knysna areaand lastly Aghulas. We prefer slower scenic routes, so will study the map.
Jan 16 we leave UK for a month. Hopefully it will be warm and dry!

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Gracie , it will be HOT and dry :)

BTW , with all thosed places you will be visiting , why not Baviaanskloof :hmz: Its one full days travel in either direction , traveling slowly , but you do need at least a good SUV and no caravan . Certainly not a small hire-car for the back-roads :naughty: .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm 

Hi Okie
Where is Baviaanskloof? We will be in a Chevrolet Orlando. BTW?

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Gracie , I prefer the "down" route from Willowmore . Take the R332 - it is all gravel , right through to the other side , about 140 kilometers . The first 100 km or so is farmed then you enter the actual reserve and it is very very wild . Going over the mountain can be scary , hairpin bends and really deep deep valleys . There are wild animals , buffalo , giraffe , baboons very very lucky , even leopard :)
Otherwise , from the "bottom " , From the N2 , take the R332 , through Hankey , and the Gamtoos valley , and just carry with the R332 which becomes gravel and just a "track " , etc .
There are camping places , and other accommodation , but you should make reservations . We've never stayed over , just enjoyed the wilderness - it is a declared wilderness .

So , enjoy if you dare . Not sure of your vehicle . Personally I would prefer to use a 4 x 4 ( I have a Landy :D )because some parts can become quite tricky and difficult . You cross the stream about 100 times , and after heavy rains , that could be a problem , especially ons specific place where you drive in it for a very long distance . Make enquiries before you enter .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm 

I have done this same 'loop' twice. And am planning it again.

The key question is how much time do you have, for that section.

The R61 is fine, as is the N9. So you can get quickly through to George. Its a long drive though. Problem is its then 50km 'back' along the N2 to Knysna. I have done the direct pass over from Uniondale but it is much much slower (but wonderful if you have the time).

Meanwhile the N10 then N2 routing via PE is quick too, but prone to getting stuck behind big lorries on the pass just before the Addo turn. All in all that routing is pretty much all quick roads and less enjoyable scenery-wise. But certainly a big step up on the M25!

My personal choice is to not leave MZNP until 10ish, so that limits me to a 7 hour drive time

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

zivvy&muffin wrote:
I have done this same 'loop' twice. And am planning it again.

The key question is how much time do you have, for that section.

The R61 is fine, as is the N9. So you can get quickly through to George. Its a long drive though. Problem is its then 50km 'back' along the N2 to Knysna. I have done the direct pass over from Uniondale but it is much much slower (but wonderful if you have the time).

Meanwhile the N10 then N2 routing via PE is quick too, but prone to getting stuck behind big lorries on the pass just before the Addo turn. All in all that routing is pretty much all quick roads and less enjoyable scenery-wise. But certainly a big step up on the M25!

My personal choice is to not leave MZNP until 10ish, so that limits me to a 7 hour drive time

Of course , the very quickest is to drive directly down to PE , and on to Knysna . Its about 500 kilometers and can be done in 4-5 hours :big_eyes:
But to me , a holiday only comes around once or twice per year , and I want to enjoy the whole time , and not live in stress between towns while driving at 120 km/hr .
So , we take the back-roads , leisurely , stopping under a tree , enjoy a cuppa , carry on , stop and take a pic or two , have another cuppa ........

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

okie wrote:
to me , a holiday only comes around once or twice per year , and I want to enjoy the whole time , and not live in stress between towns while driving at 120 km/hr .
So , we take the back-roads , leisurely , stopping under a tree , enjoy a cuppa , carry on , stop and take a pic or two , have another cuppa ........

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: That's why it takes me 6 days from the Cape to Kruger (and 6 days back again). I know I'm missing on extra time in Kruger, but my holiday starts at home.