Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
It sounds like one puppy, one kitten and 2 old guys have won the lottery :clap: :clap:

Congrats on your new additions. :gflower:

.... :hmz: don't cats chase mice????

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Just want to tell you about what has happend to gal.A few weeks ago we started seeing changes in her behavior,pacing up and down for hours on end,we took her to our vet and he said he was sure it was stress as they are building a new townhouse complex not far from us and are blasting a lot of rock,gal does not like the bangs,anyway he gave me some calming tablets.They did not help and I took her back.She has now been diagnosed with doggie Alzheimer's.I read up about this and all the symptoms are how she is acting.Sadly the medication for this condition is not available in SA only in the USA.My wonderfull vet has now found medication locally which contains exactly the same ingredient as the USA product.We have put her on this product at R800.00 per month.we don't mind the cost as long as it helps the girl to have a good quality of life.Vet says we will only see result,if any after 2 months.We really are hoping and praying that they do help, as it is heartbreaking to see her like this.Please if any of you have any expairience of anything like this please let me know.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Unfortunately I have no experience in this field Carol g, but I do want to let you know that I am thinking of you, and will also pray the medication helps! This is so sad! :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Carol, I'm afraid that like Hilda I have no experience. I do hope that you see a change and at least a bit more calm.It sounds as though you have a very understanding vet though.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That must be quite distressing for you Carol g :( I have not had a dog go through this but it is just my feeling that maintaining a very familiar and predictable routine for gal will be beneficial. I do hope the medication helps to ease her stress.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would you like a pet?

Ok, I have two white kittens free to a good home, brother and sister, I would prefer a home for both of them but a good home each is also good. Please contact me if you know of anyone that would like these.

Both are fluffy, so look to be medium to long hair cats, they are eating solids and use a cat litter box (surprisingly enough). I will be able to give them away in a weeks time when they are fully weaned.

Pic on facebook, link below.

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/540078_10151126238112793_1384714329_n.jpg

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks so much Hilda,MM and Threedogs, it is very comforting to know that animal lovers like you,are holding thumbs and praying for my big girl. The only time Gal perks up is when it's her dinner time, or walkies time,after that it goes back too pacing and getting herself into corners that she can't get out of.
People are very strange,when you tell them about Gal,first reaction is why don't you put the dog down. I say as long as she has no pain and is not suffering, I will do everything possible to try to find a way to help her.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Doggie update:

Lucy was spayed last Tuesday. Since then it has been a constant round of musical dogs, as we continue to keep the girls separated. SO suggested that we use the currently unoccupied cat house in the back yard. It is a large shadehouse type structure with a weatherproof 'dwelling'. So one of the girls spends the day in there and the other has free rein. Then we swap them over at night :roll:

Last night we had a hiccup - we had put Toki and Saffie for company in the 'cathouse' and gone to bed. We were snugly sitting up reading with Lucy and Scooter on the bed, when BANG went the dog door and in a split second Toki and Saffi bounded up onto the bed with pure triumph. Then a split second later the dog fight started :shock: Thankfully SO separated then in a few seconds. On inspection we found they had chewed through the shade cloth and escaped through the exposed square of mesh (the kind with large squares you put in concrete) which forms the framework. :evil:

So today I added reinforcements :twisted:

On Thursday Toki will be spayed. The separation will continue until all the hormones and recuperation is over. Then I am going to re-introduce them with a soft muzzle on Toki. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Carol g wrote:
People are very strange,when you tell them about Gal,first reaction is why don't you put the dog down. I say as long as she has no pain and is not suffering, I will do everything possible to try to find a way to help her.

I agree 100% Carol g! She loves being with you, she is as comfortable as possible, why put her down?

@ Threedogs: I can only giggle about Toki and Saffie! I hope your reinforcements are strong enough! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:26 pm 

Feeling a bit sad for my 2 pups going the doggy hotel for 3 weeks.....

But atleast I know they enjoy it! They always come out all bushy tailed and bright eyed...even their teeth gets brushed! :roll:

Addo 29 - 31 April 2014

Augrabies 17 - 19 Dec 2014
KTP (Twee Rivieren) 19 - 24 Dec 2014
Mokala (Motswedi Camp) 24 - 27 Dec 2014
Karoo 27 - 29 Dec 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Margriet, sounds like they get spoiled at that doggie hotel, but I know one still worries about them.You wonder why because when you fetch them they don't look any worse for wear. They do appreciate you more for a while after you take them home

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Three dogs you certainly have your hands full with those two,I just hope everything works out between the two of them.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Carol g - one is the real culprit and she is not named Tokoloshe for nothing :lol: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I would very much like to post a picture of gal but don't know how. Do you think the mods would allow me to post the website of the breeders I got her from? I am not trying to advertise, just want to show you her picture.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do not want to be over optimistic, but there seems to be a tiny bit of an improvement in Gal, Eric eyes have a softer look not so bewildered,maybe the medication is starting to work.please hold thumbs.

What I am dreading is New Year's Eve when people in the neighborhood start setting off fireworks,Gal is terrified of the bangs,luckily we will be at home with her to try to keep her calm,as I don't need her to get a setback due to this evil.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 97  Next