Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: A tale of long drives, hot days and high expectations Dec'12
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
This is my 200th post on the forum, one of these days I hope to attract a pair of kudu horns, I refuse to get the real thing though, those awesome little green ones by my avatar will do just nicely! :lol:

For the past couple of weeks it has been getting gradually harder to concentrate on work, see I admit, I am an addict, :redface: , I need my Kruger fix every few months in order to function relatively normally during those times I am not in Kruger. Reason for my lapse in concentration at work, a trip to Kruger is, if it is God's will, due to start in about 8 more sleeps. A 28 night stay in Kruger is beconing! :dance:

I always read the trip reports from other peeps with great interest and envy, :mrgreen: , so I will try do daily updates if internet connection allows. For the first few days it will however only be dad (that is me) and my two little dudes, so come evening time, we are ususally exhausted and after the usual shower and dinner routine, we crash early, only to get up at 4am again to make the gate by 4:30 sharp. Mommy is only able to join us in about a week though, from then it should be easier to do daily trip report updates. :k

In my quest to quench the Kruger thirst, I started packing the trailer on Sunday, with most things now packed, only a few more last minute perishables must fit in their allocated spaces, then we are ready to hit the long road from Cape Town's southern suburbs to Kruger!

Enough of the intro though, all I can say is: I CANNOT WAIT!

Last edited by cptphotographer on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A tale of long drives, hot days and high expectations
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Hi Son Godin, regardless of the route I choose, I prefer to leave here in Cape Town around 1pm, the boys are very chirpy and excited, dad is missing mom, and mom is sad cause she has another week to work prior to joining us in Kruger. As the trip progresses adrenaline kicks in and we laugh about the silliest things. The boys love music and we sing! They would have started complaining around 1:15 that they are hungry and thirsty despite the fact that they ate just before we left home at 1, and then the first of maybe 500 similar phrases to follow: "daddy are we almost there?" I then level with them and tell them that it is really, really, really, really far, like when I count to 300 daddy? no, way more than 300, maybe 3 billion Scotty!" After they have eaten the "healthy snacks" thanks to mommys insight, and the petrol stations get fewer and farther in between, I start bargaining that they must be on the lookout for an open shop where they can choose a treat and a milkshake, after all these formalities we approach Beaufort West, I want Kentucky, I want Wimpy etc. dad makes a deal, let us have Wimpy now, and our next stop Kentucky! In between all the chattering we get to know each other really well, the boys talk to each other and me about their friends, their likes and dislikes and just about everything you can imagine, I love listening! (Or evesdropping maybe)

I have done the JHB via Kimberly a few times, but the stretch from Klerksdorp to JHB is terrible, stop and go's, taxis, cars, buses, pedestarians and all shapes and sizes of common and uncommen pets, very few opportune places to pass slower traffick etc.

The N1 from Beaufort West to Colesberg to Bloemfontein to Kroonstad to JHB is also a form of torture that might be tested on convicted terrorists. Nice here though is that for the majoriy of the road you can overtake the left lane bandits. We have family in JHB, so that breaks the drive a little. We usually then start driving towards Kruger late evening from our relatives to enable us to "gatewait" at the designated gate of entrance, this time Orpen might feature.

Last edited by cptphotographer on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A tale of long drives, hot days and high expectations
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks All, GOD willing next week this time we'll be driving!!

The boys are 7 and 3 respectively, they love camping with dad, we LOVE doing the camping thing, but mommy is more of a chalet gal, so for the time mommy joins us, we'll enjoy the relative luxury of chalets etc.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]