SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recipes for KTP
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
JenB great roosterkoek idea :thumbs_up:. Some nice recipes here :) 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Timbits - those roosterkoek are pretty fool-proof aren't they and so quick and delicious and will def try your potatoes next time :thumbs_up:
Guinea Pig - I do my sweet potatoes like that too - lots of sugar and honey and cinnamon - they are divine
Everything is sounding really really good :D - thanks guys for the ideas !
Anne-Marie's photo of the potatoes in foil reminded me of the "pressure packs" the scouts always make ....

chicken fillet - cut into bite-sized pieces
potatoe - diced
any veggies like butternut, onions, peas etc or we often use frozen mixed veg, the peas,carrots, sweetcorn one - just make sure all your veggies are cut quite small
salt and pepper and herbs and spices ( whatever you prefer )
packet soup powder - cream of chicken, veggie, white onion ... your choice
TINFOIL

So what you do is make a big double layer of tinfoil and then fold in half again and roll the edges over into a thick seam about 2cm wide - fold this over at least 3 or 4 times so you get a good seal - do the same for the other side. Now you have a pocket with 4 layers of foil like a pillowcase :D You want it about half the size of an A4 sheet of paper - so I guess A5 :D - too big and its too floppy to turn on the coals... Mix all your prepped food goodies together and season. Mix about 2 heaped tablespoons of the soup powder together with about a third of a cup of water to make gravy ... put everything into the pouch and then carefully fold over the top like you did the sides - make sure there are no holes or leaks and it all seals well ... pop into the coals ( or on the grid) for about 20 - 30 min - turn CAREFULLY ... the liquid inside will (hopefully, if you've done it right :D ) cause the whole packet to expand nicely, making a mini pressure-cooker inside the foil ..... Maybe try this at home once before you go to KTP though :hmz: ... it really is yummy...

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
Scouter - the roosterkoek recipe is definitely fool-proof. I found the recipe on the web somewhere, and decided to try it at home first, because I had to make a few conversions/ substitutions.

First of all, the recipe I had was in grams, but I still use Imperial (ie) cups.
Second, I don't use self rising flour, so I had to substitute baking powder and flour.
They turned out great, so then I was ready to make them in the park (KTP). The park only supplies tea cups and mugs, so my measurements were a shot in the dark.....and they still turned out great :big_eyes: :big_eyes: I

The next time I made them, I decided to get adventurous and put in some grated cheese. YUM!!!!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I made them again when we got to Kruger. We were staying at Tamboti. There was a vervet "sleeping" in the tree beside the kitchen. I made the roosterkoeks, put them on a plate and turned around to put them in the tent for safe-keeping. No sooner had I turned around, the vervet grabbed the cheese and scampered to the top of the roof. :sniper: The cheese was never seen again. Lesson learned the hard way. :slap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:naughty: Vervets

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am 

Great recipes everyone ........... looking forward to giving them a go.

BILTONG FLATBREAD:

Ok, here is an alternative to roosterkoek - Flat bread with biltong on the braai. It goes with anything and wonderful for the next day. Can also be cut open and filled as done with a pita bread:

You will need:

- cup water
- 400 grams White bread flour
- a sachet Knorr Bacon & Onion Flavour Potato Bake
- 10 gram Packet instant yeast
- 100 grams any kind of Biltong (wet or dry), thinly sliced and broken up (not to big a pieces)
- Flour for dusting

To make them, mix together flour, yeast, KNORR Bacon & Onion flavour Potato Bake sachet contents and water, in a bowl, to form a soft dough. you will need to knead the dough for about 15min. Then allow the dough to double in size (place in a warm spot - this is not difficult to find in KTP in summer).

After is has risen, knock back and add the biltong, divide the mixture into 8 equal round portions and dust the surface lightly with flour.

Generally we dont take a rolling pin with to KTP so we use a wine bottle to roll each portion of dough into small, flat rounds about 15cm in diameter. If you don't have a bottle try and flatten as much as possible by hand.

Dust off excess flour and place on braai for about 1 minute. Turn and cook the other side.
Make sure the fire is not too hot or the bread will burn.

Enjoy !!!!!!!

!Xaus Lodge: A brief story.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Shane - those look and sound amazing - have printed off the recipe and will definately try it in 2 weeks time :thumbs_up:

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 am 

Pleasure Scouter - they are great. Try this for a filling the next day:

Avocado Salsa:

1 or 2 Ripe avocado (depending on amount of people)
Large tomato or cherry tomato (cut in quarters)
Salt
Ground pepper
Juice of 1 Lime (lemon if you can’t find limes)
Chilli to taste. Remove seeds if you don't want it hot.
Olive oil
Medium red onion (or normal onion, although red onion is not as strong on the tongue).
A few fresh coriander leaves (don't always take with as they don't last in KTP in summer)
We also dice up meat / chicken left over from the previous night braai or you can open tin of tuna or pichards and include in mix.

Chop the red onion, the tomato and the avo into cubes of about the same size – size of 10c coin is fine. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and add the chopped coriander and the lime juice. Add salt, pepper and chilli to taste. You can also add more lime juice if you like. Drizzle with olive oil.

This is very adaptable recipe. Add basically any left overs

Last edited by shane on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am 

Now here is something for those freezing KTP nights:

POTJIE APPLE TART:

8- 10 apples, peeled and cut into pieces
1.5 cups of cake flour
1.5 cups of brown sugar
125 grams salted butter
raisins
cinnamon
brandy

How to make it:

Peel and core the apples. Add a litte bit of brown sugar and water to them and cook the apples for about 10 minutes (this can be done in microwave, but the wildernesss camps don't have so you will have to boil them).
Combine the flour, sugar and butter and mix with your hands until it forms a dry, crumbly flour mixture.
Coat the bottom of a potjie pot with some of the butter/sugar/flour mixture.
Then add all the cooked apples and sauce on top of the flour mixture. Sprinkle with some cinnamon and seedless raisins.

Now add a generous dash of brandy (rum can also be used).

Use the rest of the flour mixture to cover the apples. Again sprinkle with a little cinnamon and brown sugar and add a couple of knobs of butter. Place the lid on the potjie and go to the fire.

Place the pot over gentle coals and also place coals on the lid of the pot. When the coals lose power, add extra coals to the bottom and top of the pot. If there is a big fire and one side of the pot gets more heat than the other side, rotate the pot every now and again. Bake for about an hour or until you see the apple sauce bubbling through the crust when you lift the lid.

Enjoy with ice-cream (not always possible in KTP) or cream.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am 

Here is a simple recipe we use often for a great lunch at one of the picnic sites (thanks to Justin Bonello)

BRAAI SALADE:

Rosa or cherry tomatoes (as many as you like).
Medium onion with skin still on.
Large yellow pepper, halved and deseeded.
2 or 3 mealie cobs, sliced into wheels.
Mixed lettuce leaves of your choice.
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Make sure that the holes in your braai grid are small enough to hold the little tomatoes (you don't want them falling through into the fire).

Get your fire to medium heat, put your onion directly into the coals (no foil required, the skin will protect it) and pop your boerewors and mealie cobs onto the grid.

When the meat is starts browning on the outside, put the tomatoes and peppers on, skin side down. Keep turning over your veggies and mealie cobs; they should have a good, even colour. Watch your tomatoes closely, you don’t want them so soft that you can’t pick them up in one piece.

Their skins should split but they should still be firm. Put your lettuce leaves in a bowl and dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. When soft and browned, slice your pepper halves and toss them into the leaves with the tomatoes. When ready, chop or break your boerewors into bite-size chunks and add to the salad. Peel the now-blackened skin off your onion, quarter it, peel apart the layers and drop them in.

Serve your salad with the mealie rounds on the side.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

YUM !! Thanks Shane - def going to make that apple tart as well - it sounds gorgeous !! Thanks for all the lekker new ideas - one tends to get a bit stuck and do the same things over and over so cant wait to try all these :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:50 am 

Guys, if you want to be organised on your next KTP trip I suggest you get your hands on one of these:

The All In One Braai Pack:

Need I say more ............... ?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol: good idea

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:30 pm 

While braaing in the evenings, cook eggs on the grill which you can add to asalade or for the raod the next day.

Make a little hole in the 'air' end. Place on a moderate to cool fire for about 10min.

Trust me yummy !

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I remember doing those eggs at girl guides. Only problem - no one told us about the little hole!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Eish Gandalf - I can just imagine ...... SPLAT flying eggy bits :big_eyes: