Skip to Content

Re: Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Tembe & Kgala

Re: Babie's equipment

Unread postby Tembe & Kgala » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:24 pm

thanks for your answer. We plan to come back in April
Concerning the cots , I meant : in the kruger park camps accomodation : do they provide it upon request? or do we have to buy one somewhere else?

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Tembe & Kgala,
Please see Leelee's post here :
I have phoned Satara RC and was informed that some of the camps do have limited cots available. Unfortunately you can not book them, they work on a first-come-first-served basis

That was posted in 2008, but I am 99% sure that it is still so.
aquila non capit muscas

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 pm

They do have cots in Kruger, but I do suggest you let them know before with your booking, as there might be other parents also utilising the cots. :thumbs_up:

You can however buy a camping cot at various places, It will cost you a good R1000,00 or 110 Euro for one with mosquito net included. :wink:

Hi MATTHYS, posted same time. :thumbs_up:

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Game has some awesome camping cots for cheap price, with mozzie net. Folds up small as well for packing. :thumbs_up:

leopard74
Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park

Game Spotting Games

Unread postby leopard74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 am

Hey Guys,

I had a discussion with a friend the other day and he thought we were a bit disturbed when I told him what game we play during our drives in Kruger.

So I just want to know whether you guys have a similar activity or if we are indeed a bit weird?

I compiled a list of ALL animals in Kruger and assigned points to them. So to make a long story short, you divide into two teams {Left side and Right side}. Then you get points for each animal species you see {ie. a herd of Zebra's only count as a Zebra}.

At the end of the day we add up each team's points and then the losing team gets a 'penalty' drink or snack e.g. My wife don't eat Tomato's so she'll eat a Tomato for her penalty that evening. We try to be creative with the penalties like eating a spoon full of Cocoa etc.

It's a fun way of enjoying the bush and it forces you to appreciate every sighting, even an Impala sighting! :cam:
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Game Spotting Games

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:44 am

It sounds interesting Leopard74 :thumbs_up: - the penalties bit :| :)

We usually guess what animal we will see first when we enter the gate and the person who is correct get …. well nothing :roll: . It is just the guessing part that is the fun bit to us :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:37 pm

We are also 'disturbed' l74. :evil: :roll:

When the children were quite young, and needed a bit of 'encouragement' I offered a 100g chocolate for the person to spot the first '????' of the day. This included the big 5, other predators and anything I deemed worthy. But......the winner had to share it. I would buy quite a stock and keep it in the cooler box.

Some days we would be nauseous by 7h30 and not feel like breakfast, and my stock would run out so I would have to replenish it. It was very competitive, and even my father joined in.

After an early trip. I was told 'we saw nothing today', so since then I have made animal and bird lists and they are completed when a sighting occurs. We have now been doing all this for more than 25 years, and I see no reason to become undisturbed. :tongue:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

leopard74
Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park

Unread postby leopard74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:13 pm

:lol:

The reason for us implementing this 'system' :lol: , is that my dad keeps on falling asleep and catching flies with his mouth. So now he's very scared of drinking stuff like Tonic Water. The irony is that he is now the best spotter in the car! :big_eyes:

I also want to add birds to our list this year, but the problem is that we are totally clueless when it comes to birding. We already have some of the bigger bird species such as Eagles, Vultures, Owl's etc. on there, but we want to start learning the smaller fellows as well ! :redface:

We also get quite competitive, sometimes there are major fights as to who gets the points. For example if we get to a viewing spot I usually drive past the 'entrance' and then rather enter at the 'exit' so that the viewing takes place on my side of the car! :twisted: :twisted: :whistle: :whistle:

I'm just glad to hear that there are other disturbed people out there! :wink:
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

ossendryver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ossendryver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 pm

We play that every day we start on a fresh list.
Who ever spots an animal rights it down.

You can only spot it once, so lets say baboon.
If I spot it I write it down. But if my dad spots it later during the day it doesn't count.

At the end of that day who ever spotted the most amount of animals gets a point.

Next day start over.

At the end who ever has the most points gets what ever he wants on the way home at any restaurant :)

SandGrouse

Unread postby SandGrouse » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi all we do the same thing however we give points to it and play cricket

We make 2 lists one for runs one for wickets and so we play. for example an Impale is 1 run and a Zebra is 2 runs etc a Lion is a six etc etc.

Wickets - Rhino, Or the less seen animals including snakes and some birds.

Normally the score is high :x before 10 wickets goes down but then the table turns and the badsman become the bowler. :dance:

Its great and before you know it the day is over and nobody was bored... 8)
Crocodile Bridge - 3days April
Lower Sabie - 5 days June
Skukuza - 8 days June
Maroela - 5 days August

[b][color=#FF0000]NO HOTELS - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND BASTA[/color][/b]

sybie99

Re: Infants in the park

Unread postby sybie99 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I often hear that pretoriuskop and berg en dal are lower risk malaria areas than say lower sabie, is this true ?
Also, those who know people that contracted malaria in Kruger, did these people take all precautions excluding prophylactics such as spraying peaceful sleep, indoors at dusk, net and buring candles?

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 am

Sybie, it has been said from time to time that some areas of Kruger are of lower malaria risk than others; it would be very difficult to prove this, as Kruger takes preventative measures in all regions as far as I am aware.
Remember, too, that your mentioned camps of Pretoriuskop and Berg en Dal are in higher rainfall areas, which may increase risk.
As malaria risk does, to some degree, depend on climatic and environmental factors, it is not always wise - and in my opinion, sometimes foolhardy - to try and justify certain areas within an officially designated malaria area as lower risk than others.
Better to be safer than sorry and take equal antimalarial precautions wherever in Kruger you may be.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 am

Sybie, as to your second question, it would be very difficult to notate the habits of residents within malarial areas who have contracted the disease to see how much antimalarial non-drug measures they applied over time.
Additionally, people who live permanently in seasonal-risk malarial areas - like Kruger - are always at some risk, so these people can only lessen the risk by using non-drug measures.
If staying for a relatively short period, chemo-prophylaxis (drugs) can also be considered, but antimalarial drugs are not recommended for very long-term use anyway.
Which leaves non-drug preventative measures; and these may be logistically difficult to continuously and diligently adhere to = for example, the staff member may be frequently on the move at night (patrols, night-drives, camp managers, etc.), so might not easily be able to stay indoors as much as they needed to after dark.
Also, non-drug measures may be too expensive over long periods for those in lower-income groups.
So, though at face value the answer seems simple, there are many factors to consider.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

onewithnature

Re: 10 months old baby

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 am

Jo wrote:As a person in the medical field I can strongly advise you not to take a 10 month old to a malaria area in summer.
If babies contract malaria,their immune system is not fully developed and so they cannot fight it as well as adults do, the death rate is higher.
As a recent "new" mom I would hate to see my LO suffer what I have seen other babies suffer with malaria.
So if I may offer an opinion - visit malaria free areas until your child is older.....but it is your choice.

Bushbuddies wrote:Medically speaking - you are advised not to take children under 5 years of age to malaria areas.
This is because of the high mortality (death rate) associated with malaria in this age group.
Children this young often do not present with the classic malaria picture and get misdiagnosed.
Even if they are diagnosed early on, their chance of survival is not as good as older children or adults. Another point of concern - is even if you decide to take a 10 month old against medical advice, one can only use malaria prophylaxis (antimalarial medications) in children weighing more than 10kg.
Most 10-month old babies will not qualify for this.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you read extensive personal advice which I have posted on other threads on the SANParks forum, you will see that I am in total agreement with these statements.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:39 pm

That is what democracy allows: everyone is entitled to an opinion. From a malaria standpoint, it is always wiser not to take the children until they are at an age where their risk of contracting malaria has become similar to an adult's and they wouldn't have debilitating adverse effects from antimalarial (and other) medicines. Also, some areas are very humid and hot, and a child may just not be comfortable in such ambient conditions.

However, as to the presence of a child on a holiday, I have to say that I have, and have always had, absolutely no qualms about encouraging my daughter to enjoy whatever and wherever we are (if it's age and morally appropriate). And, I have enjoyed every single stage of my daughter's development! People often complain about the "Terrible Two's" or the "Impossible Teens", or whatever, but I have never found this to be true: it's ALL about how one views a situation and what one's attitude to that situation is! I have been blessed by being given a magnificent daughter and I have thrilled to teach and encourage her through myriads of situations; she has developed a great love and respect for nature and animals; has respect for others and herself; is well-mannered; has a supreme sense of humour and keen eye for dissecting situations; is wise beyond her years; and generally is a great joy in our lives! If I hadn't suggested, and sometimes insisted, she come with us on holiday or day-trips, she might have been a recluse, focused only on video games, TV, cellphones, or the like. We have allowed her to enjoy the bounty of the world in so many ways, and I see that it has benefited her immensely.

Yes, sometimes other people's children can be noisy and intrusive, but I have learned to focus my mind elsewhere and, if really necessary, either say something to the parents or report it to the duty manager (which I have only done once). I think back to when I was little and how much fun we had by sprinting everywhere and making up games to keep ourselves entertained. Children are children, and should be encouraged, within social ambits, to be just that; too many children these days grow up too quickly and fail to enjoy a magical childhood.

As for nappy-changing, disgorging of stomach contents, and infant odours, it has never worried me: children survive the best they know and it is our privilege to help them to do so. All I have ever seen are the blessings that a child bestows on a parent. I can only imagine if my parents did not do the same for me, what I would have turned out to be; or even whether I would be on this earth. For we forget that WE were also infants, toddlers, and teenagers - smelly, noisy, contrary, challenging!! :wink:

Supertrooper, we shall await the birth of your first when it happens (GOD-willing), and then we will hear if your song has become more dulcet. :twisted:
EVERYBODY'S TR!

Return to “Kruger National Park”