Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hilda, Barry, my deepest sympathy. I know how much a little creature can snuggle into the heart.

A cyber :k from MM

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Breaking the mould :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Avatar of the Year (2012)
My 10 yr old niece's cat Fluffy, has won the Bob Martins "Bright-eyed cats competition". Competing with thousands of other entries. She won herself a R1500 first prize and a Bob Martins hamper.

She will be featured in the 2013 calender of the Dec/Jan issue of "All about cats" magazine.

Here is the winning pic;

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Posting for Elizabeth
Gess and the BIG Christmas pressie :D

Anticpation

Satisfaction

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:57 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
:lol: Hugh! That is a huge bone!

We took the dogs out to the local sports field for a good run yesterday and the they loved it! For obvious reasons we have to wait till pretty late in the day to make sure the place is deserted before we can set our "animals" free. :twisted:

The light was not good anymore and I'm not great with action shots but here are a few.

Boris and Zina

Boris (He's so photogenic! :lol: )

"Arrggghh... caught out trying to escape again!" :twisted:
Fred

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

PLEASE, CAN ANYONE HELP ME SAVE MY BULLDOG "TESSIE"

Due to a divorce I went through a few years back, I was unable to take my dog Tessie (a beautiful Bulldog), with me, I had no home or any place I could keep her, so my ex-husband agreed to keep her with him.

I have managed to make a new life for myself with a wonderful partner. We stay in a townhouse and now have 2 dogs of our own. Tessie has always been happy living with my ex, so I always made time to visit her whenever I could. Tessie is now 12 years old which is a great innings for a bulldog, but she has become a special needs dog, as she has become deaf and suffers from arthritis.

My ex-husband contacted me a few months back to tell me he was leaving the country and if I didn't take her, he would then euthanize her. Even with her ailments she is still a very happy dog and definitely still has a will to live, so of course I wanted to keep her with me. I sent a letter to my body corporate explaining the situation and they have adamantly denied her the opportunity of spending her final days here with me.

I did reply to this stating that I did not have the heart to euthanize her and I have since brought her here to our townhouse complex. I received another letter from them today stating I have 7 days to remove her or they will be taking legal action against me, including all costs etc.

I know I could most likely find plenty of kind loving people who may wish to provide a home for her, however, I lost her once and do not want to lose her again, I love her so dearly this is breaking my heart!

Is there anyone out there who knows the laws on this issue and could help me, do I have any rights in this situation?

Last edited by Siobain on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is Billy, he is a rescue dog from FORA (Friends Of Rescued Animals). He was kept in a cage 2m x 3m with 15 other dogs for more than a year. Being a small tender hearted dog and at the bottom of the pack, he survived by eating the feces of other dogs. We were so privileged to find him and welcome him into our family. He has proven himself as the most loving, gentle of spirit, precious, and loving dog. A true girt from GOD!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hi everyone

Here is the new addition to our family. Our little Spynx kitten named Cheetah. She is now 5 months old and the most adorable and kind cat I have ever seen. She is very affectionate and loves our English bulldog Simba. I will post some video's later on, but here is some pics for you first.

In this picture Cheetah was just 6 weeks old

with her brother. 8 weeks old. (she is the one with the 3 spots on her head

Here she is 13 weeks and it's her first day at her new home. She loves giving kisses to my son Eric

13 weeks... Shes getting to know the stuffed toys in Eric's room. And she loves them.

From day 1 she slept in Eric's bed. The 2 of them are inseparable

Cat paws (without the hair :lol: )

Christmas card. Here she is 4 months old

Cheetah and Simba sleeping together

These pictures were taken today. SHe is 5 months old. It's so cold here in Holland, with snow and temperatures of -10 that I decided to buy her a little sweater. She loves it. Even gave me some nice poses for my photo shoot. LOL :lol:

This is my close up 'pose'

My wink 'pose'

My sexy leg 'pose'

Time for...'hair and makeup'

What's UUUP????

Last edited by roaneric on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:16 pm 

Carol has asked me to post a pic of her Gal for her and isn't she a beauty!

ImageLarge

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:58 pm 

Here is Tisha watching England take on Ireland, (and win - just), today.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm 

Thanks all. onewithnature was looking for a frontal view. Sorry for the picture fest but I couldn't decide which one and I love my cat!

... and lastly another cutey! She's a bit less playful at nearly 15 now but can still clear the back fence at 2m!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This individual at our house of the species otherwise known as a Tokoloshe :twisted: needs a hamster wheel and/or a sedative..........no wait, she can have the hamster wheel and I'll take the sedative :x

This photograph taken in a rare captured moment of non-movement some time back as she has not technically stopped moving since then...

The mutt is off her head ATM and there is a fair chance I will become deranged (more) and end up with a case of tinnitus (yes that's ringing of the ears not a foot fungus :tongue: ) :lol:

In other news, I sussed a new product at the vets the other day: Thundershirt for dogs. It is a firm wrap like dog coat garment which is apparently very helpful for anxiety in dogs ie separation anxiety, thunder storms, fireworks etc. Thought some of you mites might find it promising. :)

http://www.thundershirt.com/

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Beautiful, beautiful gal, Carol. Treedogs, you certainly have your hands full. Handsome little critter though.

I thought that I would share one of my new arrivals with you.

This is Mikki.

I was travelling home in the dark on the coldest night of the year. In the middle of nowhere, on a farm road, a little dog appeared from the bush and started barking at my car. I stopped to pick him up thinking that he was a little terrier belonging to one of the farmers. "He must be lost", I thought.

To my surprise, it was not a full grown little terrier but a puppy in terrible condition. He was full of ticks, fleas and attitude.

I took him home, fed him and gave him a warm bed for the night. I also left a message with the guards at the gate to contact me if a puppy had been lost.

There is no doubt in my mind that he would have frozen to death had I not seen him that night. The vet said that he was only about 6 weeks old.

Mikki has turned into a delightful bundle of energy and joy. His breed remain a mystery, as does his early history.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:57 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
I have a little story I'd like to share with you all. :)

Three weeks ago I had to deliver a package to the airport, I had to get it on the 8-45pm flight to CT. As I took the slipway to OR Tambo, I saw the cars breaking and swerving to avoid a tiny creature in the road. When it got caught up in my headlights I saw that it was the tiniest little kitten.

I hit the brakes and hazards and jumped out chasing after the cat. After what felt like minutes I had it cornered against the curb. When I got home and had a better look in not very good light, I thought it must have been hit before I got to it because the one eye seemed missing from the socket and the other one badly mutilated. I kept it in a box with warm blankets and hotwater bottles overnight not quite knowing what to do next.

The next morning, there it was sitting trying to look at me with those poor little eyes. It was completely calm when I picked it up and I cradled it under my jacket and in no time it started purring. This is no feral cat, it is used to human touch, someone must have dropped it off on that busy road. :(

Not knowing much about cats, I phoned my friend who told me to contact Friends of the cat, a non-profit organization here in Joburg who takes care of abandoned cats. They gave me the name of their vet and after breakfast by syringe and a nice bath I took it in to be seen to.

The vet said that he was only about 5 weeks old at the time and that he has ulcers in both eyes. The one was already shrinking away and at that time they thought he also lost the use of the other one. They took him in and undertook to give him the best care they could and to eventually find him a home suitable for a special needs cat.

That little one has been on my mind everyday and this morning I decided that I just had to go back to the vet to hear what happened to him. Well, he was still there, getting heaps of love, attention, good food and medical care. That tiny helpless little kitten is growing into a beautiful cat! When I took him in they thought they'd have to remove his eyeballs when he is old enough but the treatment seems to be working and he has about 10% vision in his one eye.

Here he is, they call him Angus.
He is about 8 weeks old now. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
onewithnature wrote:
Thanks BB. :thumbs_up: :D We'll try and maintain the perceived hierarchy, as we have noticed how important it is to the stability of a dog pack.

Hi OWN and Siobain.

I am so sorry that I was not around when you first posted. :( My computer just went on a "go slow" and seized up altogether. It must have a contract with ESKOM.. :wink:

Just a couple of observations on Calico. :hmz:

I find her a very protective dog, probably the ideal guard dog.

When I take my dogs out for a walk, my delinquent little tracker/hunters disappear in a shot to chase what ever they can chase. Regardless of the noise and temptation, Calico remains close to me, as does Chino.

Her determination to protect seems dominant.

I wonder whether she is not mote alert and tense than usual when OWN is working? I would possibly think of giving Valerium or a beta blocker on those nights?

With my own animals I have found that they tend to go into attack mode when I am doing work that they see as punishment to another animal. Only yesterday, I had one of my dogs attacked while taking out sutures. I try to close myself off from the dogs if I have to medicate or do something that might hurt them. Even my sweet Sox wants to take a bite to show his love and undying support towards me, the pack leader..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next