Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 182 of 203
 [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 203  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Aat, I suppose I am one of those who could have put in a nomination for you but due to my narrow field of interest on the FORUMS I was not even aware of the process of getting "horns" above your avatar. [ I don't even have an avatar myself ! ]

Any-case, your posting has now resulted in me finding out how KUDU HORNS "work" - now I must still find out how to nominate a person.

But, be it as it may, you are doing a great job on the Big Tuskers thread, please don't let the current situation come between you and sharing your interest with like-minded people. Judging from these pages there is a lot of us with a Big Tusker interest and your contributions form a major part of the fun on this thread.

Also, your TUSKERSOFAFRICA website has now been established as a general reference document and it will be interesting to know how many people use it and for what purposes. I am sure it is the Big Tusker tracker with the highest public participation - I doubt if SANPARKS have any-thing more complete and will not be surprised if they actually refer to it from time to time.

So old chap, don't despair and keep up your participation.

I am sure there is a large silent bunch of us out there who REALLY appreciate your work and contributions.

Lettie and Gerrie

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:46 pm 

Lettie and Gerrie,

Actually is has nothing to do with the kudu horns but with nominations every year for active forumites with added value to the forums etc....
Wel.... let me say this, I was surprized about the number of (supporting) reactions I received per email.

My conclusion is to go on with the activities here for the Big Tusker forum and all Tuskermites.
Let's stay together as a group with our special interest for these giants. So IDíng, commenting and updating my or maybe better our tuskersite is the thing I will continue.
My friends here are more important then any other thing at this site.

100ponder wrote:
Hi Aat, I suppose I am one of those who could have put in a nomination for you but due to my narrow field of interest on the FORUMS I was not even aware of the process of getting "horns" above your avatar. [ I don't even have an avatar myself ! ]

Any-case, your posting has now resulted in me finding out how KUDU HORNS "work" - now I must still find out how to nominate a person.

But, be it as it may, you are doing a great job on the Big Tuskers thread, please don't let the current situation come between you and sharing your interest with like-minded people. Judging from these pages there is a lot of us with a Big Tusker interest and your contributions form a major part of the fun on this thread.

Also, your TUSKERSOFAFRICA website has now been established as a general reference document and it will be interesting to know how many people use it and for what purposes. I am sure it is the Big Tusker tracker with the highest public participation - I doubt if SANPARKS have any-thing more complete and will not be surprised if they actually refer to it from time to time.

So old chap, don't despair and keep up your participation.

I am sure there is a large silent bunch of us out there who REALLY appreciate your work and contributions.

Lettie and Gerrie

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:

My conclusion is to go on with the activities here for the Big Tusker forum and all Tuskermites.
Let's stay together as a group with our special interest for these giants. So IDíng, commenting and updating my or maybe better our tuskersite is the thing I will continue.
My friends here are more important then any other thing at this site.

I know how quickly things can go sour here. Especially when you get blind-sided after only trying to help and contribute.

Always remember there are a couple hundred forumites out there that don't give a hoot! We only want an informative, fun forum. And your topic is just that. Gosh, you helped us on our last trip with Machachule and Nwanedzi! I often read here and on your own site just for purely interest sake. NEVER let awards, kudu horns and acknowlegdement from management, staff or moderators influence you, Aat. It will drive you nuts.

Just be Aat, our tusker man. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm 

Guinea Pig,
Thanks !!! Nothing to add to these words and let's stop about the subject , just as a human being I expressed a feeling. Let's roll and ID and inform and post etc.... :lol: :lol:

Quote:

I know how quickly things can go sour here. Especially when you get blind-sided after only trying to help and contribute.

Always remember there are a couple hundred forumites out there that don't give a hoot! We only want an informative, fun forum. And your topic is just that. Gosh, you helped us on our last trip with Machachule and Nwanedzi! I often read here and on your own site just for purely interest sake. NEVER let awards, kudu horns and acknowlegdement from management, staff or moderators influence you, Aat. It will drive you nuts.

Just be Aat, our tusker man. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 am 

Friedrich,

I have to make you a bit "happier" if possible concerning your sightings.
The tusker you have seen as you said near Punda Maria is RICEHO
I was looking at your pictures again and "something" told me... I know this guy... and so could ID him as Riceho. New to me is that was moving more north , other sightings were in the Shingwedzi area but... many bulls are "shopping" in other area's, it's just a day-walk (or 2) for them Shingwedzi > Punda Maria.

@ ALL - Back to "business" , just updated the tusker site with 7 updates :
Machachule, Nkombo, Mpenza, Mavatsani, Riceho and Mandzemba (all by Bushbuddies) and Marhumbini by Dawie Fourie.

BTW Dawie is busy with a team to make replica's from Duke's tusks and I hope to see him and the replica's next week near Crocodile Bridge. He is also working on a book about Duke.
I am glad I could help him with pictures of Duke

One request , almost mission impossible but no try, no result.... Does anyone has pictures of Duke made BEFORE 1991 , if so...please let me know.

This was last update of the site before I fly to kruger next sunday

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Aat, nice to know the ellies also like to shop around......

I've send you an ellie before, but he is still on the "up-and-coming" list.
I follow the "Big Tuskers" topic every day and visits to your website!

LOVE what you do!!!! and your website is absolutely Phenomenal!!!
Thanx for the hard work and dedication!!!

Enjoy your trip to Kruger and the tusks, waiting your posts on your return.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 pm 

Thanks Super Mongoose for your very nice words !!

About this "shopping around"
It is funny to look at the tuskers and their "moves" Some tuskers do stay their whole life in a smaller area like Machachule (shingwedzi), Marhumbini (mopani) and many others, in contradiction with some other tuskers like Mac (timbavati > letaba > shingwedzi) ,Nwashinangana (Satara > timbavati > Tshokwane/Lower sabie) and Madolo (covering all areas in the south) and again some others do "travel" up and down between a few area's like Ngodzi between Mopani and Letaba and late Duke between Crocodile Bridge and Tshokwane.
I known by tracking reports that Mac has a kind of fixed pattern through the year and repeting this every year. It's just fascinating :) :)

Super Mongoose wrote:
Hi Aat, nice to know the ellies also like to shop around......

I've send you an ellie before, but he is still on the "up-and-coming" list.
I follow the "Big Tuskers" topic every day and visits to your website!

LOVE what you do!!!! and your website is absolutely Phenomenal!!!
Thanx for the hard work and dedication!!!

Enjoy your trip to Kruger and the tusks, waiting your posts on your return.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Aat, thanx for more interesting info, indeed facinating!!

Maybe you can tell me why: we saw a nice sized breeding heard in the Timbavati river and I would say a third of them did not have tusks. I found this interesting. Some are blessed with huge tusks and other don't have any?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 pm 

Super Mongoose,
I will come back to some questions later after my trip.
Now checking and packing and getting ready for take-off.... such a good thing to know that from monday I will be near the tuskers and meeting some friends / forumites... :bcool:

Super Mongoose wrote:
Hi Aat, thanx for more interesting info, indeed facinating!!

Maybe you can tell me why: we saw a nice sized breeding heard in the Timbavati river and I would say a third of them did not have tusks. I found this interesting. Some are blessed with huge tusks and other don't have any?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good Afternoon Aat and fellow mites.

For all those who haven't seen this :

Kruger monday morning:

http://www.news24.com/Travel/Multimedia/Elephant-v-Car-20121114

Looks like a big tusker if you ask me! Maybe Aat will know him. Was seen near Berg en Dal if I remember the story correctly. Still wild animals at the end of the day hey! :big_eyes:

Last edited by Ferdelance on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
Now checking and packing and getting ready for take-off.... such a good thing to know that from monday I will be near the tuskers and meeting some friends / forumites... :bcool:

8) Hi Aat, know you will enjoy it :wink:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wonder what the real circumstances were.

From the sequence of photos it appears as if the car that eventually got over-turned must have approached the elephant that was already standing in the road, driven right past the elephant [ virtually under it's tusks ], then stopped.

Did the driver not try to drive away when the elephant approached from behind him ?
[ Nothing seems to have prevented him from driving away from the elephant ]

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello everyone :gflower:

Please can you help me identify this tusker. He was relaxing in the heat of the day so he was far and very difficult to photograph. I'm going to add four pics that show the tusks from different angles (unfortunately only from behind) and then also of his ears.

He was seen on the H2-2, and I have looked at Fayi's pictures on Aat website and compared them 100 times but I am very doubtful that this is him (despite where he was seen). I would definitely say his impressive thick and long tusks are over 100 pounds. His left tusk is longer and straighter than the right (about 30-40cm longer) and he has a large notch out of his right ear with many smaller notches in his left ear.

My opinion, after looking at every tusker recorded on Aat's beautiful site, is that this is NGOTSO. Comments please?

Once again, I apologise for the poor photographs, but a tusker is a tusker I guess..... :wink:

Thanks in advance for your help :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi BF,

I agree, its looks like Ngotso !
Looks like more and more big bulls are ranging further afield than in the past.

Gerrie.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Gerrie :thumbs_up:

Yes it does, the big bulls are my absolute favourite and there is still so much to learn about them. I'm sure that with Aat's comprehensive site and everyone posting their big tusker pics on here we are going to find that their ranges are much bigger than previously thought and we'll all realise how complex the reasons for their movement are.

Here is a (possible?) tusker seen on the same day on the S25 (crocodile river road). Anyone know anything about him?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 203  Next