Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kuruman to TR via Hotazel
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 pm 

So the current road condition between Van Zylsrus and Askham is not too bad? I wonder how the recent rain has affected it...

Post subject: Re: Driving to and from Kgalagadi:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 pm 

Hi folks! We will be leaving to KTP in a couple of weeks, extremely excited as this will be our first visit! We stay in Cape Town, and I personally don't have a clue on the route (never mind the best) to follow (think you need to take the N7? right?) :hmz: - will leave it to hubby, but I am sure he will appreciate feedback from the me (via the forumites 8)
Google maps guides one on the N7, Clanwilliam, Calvinia, then it would appear to be Brandvlei, Kenhardt, Keimoes, Upington :shock: is that it? :think:

Please help..

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm 

Ed, thats the way to go!!
If not doing in one haul a good stop is Oranjerus, 30km this side of upington.
Enjoy it, wish I was hitting the road north

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:45 pm 

Ed,

I have been to KTP in the order of 20 times and always take the route through Namibia - entering at Mata Mata. This would be a 2 day drive, but once I've crossed the border in Nam it just totally change my mindset to relaxation. Either you can sleep in Springbok (then the second day is a longer drive) or you can drive a but further on day one and either sleep over at Aus (Goibib Guest Farm - very nice food and hosts - Gerda and Nikki) or at Canon lodge, Canon Roadhouse or Canon Village. If you wanna do camping, very nice site just across border at Felix Unite or camping also available at Goibib and Canon Roadhouse (Ais-Ais as well). Travel to Keetmans the following day and take the C17 then C15 to Mata Mata. En route you will also pass the Quiver Tree Forest, Giants playground and the Fossile park (if you leave early you can visit either one or all of them en route). This is a highly reccomended route for me. Also stop over at KOES at Moertoe Coffee shop for excellent Cheese, Carrot, Chocolate Cakes, light meals, cappucino's etc.

Enjoy

Ps. I travel from Hermanus

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:53 pm 

I hear say they have a new cycle track from Hotazel to the gate at TR for those that want to. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 pm 

Thanks Jan & BDM - appreciate your assistance with this! We visited Namibia last year, thank Jan for the tips! This time 'round we will not be going the Namib side, and wish to get to TR in one go :wall:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ed - don't know where in Cape Town you are but this is what I worked out for my solo trip this year in August - it helped me a bit - alternatively you could always use a GPS but Im not such a fan ... Think the distances are sort-of right - got them off the computer and now thinking about it one of them might be a bit off but not by much ... cant remeber which one it is though :slap:

There are probably still lots of stop/go's up until Kenhardt but even if you go N7 all the way via Springbok and then Podadder, Kakamas etc there are stop/go's along that route too at the moment. We've done this route 8 times in the past 2 years to KTP and I honestly like it ... not as much trucks and traffic as the N7 and the roads are flatter too ( helpful if you are driving a Landy like me :D )

HOUT BAY - MALMSBURY - 87
MALMSBURY – MORREESBURG – 41
MOOREESBURG – PICKETBURG – 34
PICKETBURG – CITRUSDAL – 50
CITRUSDAL – CLANWILLIAM – 55
CLANWILLIAM – KLAWER – 62
KLAWER – VANRHYNSDORP - 25
VANRHYNSDORP – NIEUWOUDVILLE – 48
NIEUWOUDVILLE – CALVINIA – 76
CALVINIA – TURNOFF – 23
TURNOFF – BRANDVLEI – 142
(CALVINIA – BRANDVLEI – 165)
BRANDVLEI – KENHARDT – 166
KENHARDT – KEIMOES – 74
KEIMOES – UPINGTON – 43
UPINGTON – ASKHAM – 200
ASKHAM – TWEE RIVIEREN – 73
HOUT BAY TO TWEE RIVIEREN - 1066

When are you going to be in KTP ? We will be there from the 10th till the 18th at TR ... you are going to have SUCH an amazing time !!! I enjvy you your first visit - its always incredibly special !

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Last edited by Scouter on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
We came back from the park on the 8th. I think there were about 25 stop and go's on the CT - VanRynsdorp- Calvinia-Keimoes route. Between Keimoes and Upington - 2 more S&Gs! We travelled up to the park on a Saturday and this seemed to help - only 13 S&Gs! :dance: Also, if you do the last stretch to the park(Upington to Askham) at night, please be extra careful - we found that a lot of big trucks use this road at night, and their headlights blind you, and please watch out for all the animals.

@Scouter - :thumbs_up: Knew you could not stay in CT! :wink:

To all heading up to the park - Have a super time! :dance: :mrgreen:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 pm 

Scouter wrote:
When are you going to be in KTP ? We will be there from the 10th till the 18th at TR ... you are going to have SUCH an amazing time !!! I enjvy you your first visit - its always incredibly special !

Thanks soooo much Scouter, I will definitely convey this message! Think this will be the route then! We stay on the outskirts of Durbanville; close to Malmesbury, which will make the route even better on the back road between D'ville and Malmesbury..thank you so much I really appreciate it! We were looking for that flat route, 'cause a Landy is the choice vehicle this side too! :D

We are set to arrive on 30Nov, but leaving when you arrive - wish we could stay longer! :wall: Then we'll stop by Augrabies for 2 nights, also a first for me! I can't wait!!!

Thanks for the info wanderw I appreciate it!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ed :D

Sorry I am going to miss you guys - but do have an AMAZING trip ! Once that red sand gets between your toes you've had it I'm afraid :tongue: It will be STINKING hot though so take lots and lots of water - you'll need more than you think and if you can, those ' Survivor" buffs are brilliant - you wet it and wear it round your neck and just keep soaking it - it helps SO much - looks a bit dorky but hey, us Landy drivers are used to getting stares :D .... oh and a sarong or 2 - good for sleeping under, also wet ... your SO might want one too ... Where are you guys staying ?

How lucky to be nearer the park - :mrgreen: that 80 odd kms helps a lot believe me !! Glad the info can help ... I do like to know exactly how far to the next dorpie, especially if you are driving a Landy as they aren't that fast :D My SO just drives with the GPS but I like the old fashioned map/written material - must be the librarian in me :tongue: Just checked - think the distance between Kenhardt and Keimoes is off - its about 74 km not 87 ...

Enjoy Augrabies too - only been there once but its gorgeous ! Drive safe !

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 am 

Yeahh, everybody thinks we're crazy going in that STINKING heat! 8) But we're tough! I waited long enough, can't wait for the winter to arrive! :whistle:

Thanks for the tips on keeping cool, I will most definetly make a plan on those!

We are normally campers, but the prospects of the heat, convinced me to rather book in the chalets :dance:
We are going staying at TR for a couple of days, then Nossob, Bitterpan, Mata-Mata, and back to TR..
Asked Jannie to book a morning walk at TR, and will do the Leeudril 4x4 Loop..

Oooh, I can't wait!!!

Thanks again for all the tips, hopefully I can report back with a few stunning :cam: !

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sounds like a great trip - Bitterpan :thumbs_up: - next on my wishlist !
Enjoy it all and especially the walk with Jannie - will hold thumbs for some lions for you :D - and the Leeuwdrill 4x4 is lovely too - so nice to just drive through the dunes - not too hectic - I drove it last time with my SO gibbering quietly to himself in the back seat - but it was fine :tongue: :tongue:

Have fun and looking forward to your :cam: !

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Ed :)
We have been in the Dec months and Feb and although very HOT we LOVE it! Found camping to be much cooler than the chalets at Nossob and Mata Mata, however, each year it's different. Sure you'll enjoy it , no matter where/how you stay :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:20 pm 

Scouter...I like I like! 8)

Thanks Dreamer, like you say not to fased about the heat at this point in time, (might change my mind once there), but for now I am too excited to worry about the heat. :dance:

PS: Bought myself a UV flashlight to look for scorpions at night if the heat is keeping me awake! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:32 am 

Ed the Hyena, morning - where did you get the UV flash light ?

Any updates on the S&G's between Calvinia and Upington ?

!Xaus Lodge: A brief story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next