SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kruger Bat/Bat Roost Monitoring Project
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good Evening everybody :D

Quite a few people come to me with regards to sightings of bats in Kruger, as well as possible roost locations and some information regarding the bats found in those roosts. Thus i took it upon myself to start the Kruger Bat/Bat Roost Monitoring Project. For those who don't know, i have been recording bats and bat roosts in Kruger for 4 years now on a personal research basis and have made some awesome findings (such as Banana Bat's roosting in Fan Palms (very unusual and hadent beenr recorded), and Midas Free Tailed Bat roosting in hollow Mopani Trees (had only been recorded in Zimbabwe and further north) ).

The conservation of bats within the Kruger National Park is paramount and the only way we will succeed in doing this is by educating the public and wildlife lovers on bats and how important and cute they actually are. Thus, this project is set up in conjunction with Latest Kruger Sightings (Run by our very own forumite Ossendryver) and it allows and encourages people who visit Kruger to submit any sightings of bats or any signs of bats/bat roosts and these then get sent through to me where i document them in the various camp write ups as well as placing them on a map of the park.

Personal research conducted by me is also focusing on the exact hut numbers within the camp, which are home to bats.

This is a major step forward with regards to bat conservation within the Kruger National Park and we ask for your help in helping us preserve these amazing animals and help with the education of them so that we all can learn more ;)

Please note:

When Submitting Sightings/Observing Bats

-Please do not stay at a bat roost for longer than necessary
-Please do not handle any bats
-If bitten by a bat please call your doctor immediatly for precautions
-If using flash photography please only take a limited amount of photographs as the light disturbs the bat
-Please do not harm any bats of any sort and if somebody is sighted doing so please report them to the camp manager ASAP

-When submitting a sighting please send it straight to us over Facebook or at JKNG@live.co.za or by submitting it to Latest Kruger Sightings via there Facebook page or Twitter Page
-If you have photographic evidence please attach it
-Please state where/when and how you found your bat/s

Please also feel free to ask any questions so that we can answer them :thumbs_up:

Sightings which have been sent in will be posted on our Facebook site, Twitter page (@KrugerBats) and on this topic.

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Last edited by Batmad on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bats In Kruger-A Visitors Guide
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:59 pm 

Now this is sure to be quite informative hehehe

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lets get those sightings sent in everybody! We really do need your help! :D

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Last edited by Batmad on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you know of any bat roosts (recent) in Kruger please let me know ;)

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 am 

This thread seems a little strange , as we should be embracing nature and not rejecting it in this place ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Neilo- There is no rejection here, merely education through research and public involvement :thumbs_up:

Stiffnecks Member

Post subject: Re: Kruger Bat/Bat Roost Monitoring Project
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Epauletted Fruit Bats reported from the Kitchen Roof at the lower campsite near the fence at Skukuza Rest Camp. Please note: This is not the famous Restaurant Lapa Roost. Sighted and Photographed by Diane Faria

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I just received news now that the Sundevalls leaf Nosed Bats at Nkhulu Picnic spot were not recorded in August of this year. Does anybody have further news on this? It would be a great pity if they have decided to move roosts as this locality was the best for this species within Kruger..

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:46 am 

Just some notes from my October visit to Kruger.

As mentioned on the other thread I found a single Sundevall's leaf Nosed Bat roosting in the men's toilet at Nkuhlu a on 14 October. It was still there a couple of days later.

Six Epauletted Fruit Bats were seen in Shukuza (under roof overhang to right of shop entrance). Another six seen in Olifants (under overhang on left hand side of reception). I know they could be Peter's or wahlberg's. Any idea which is most likely?

Free-tailed Bats were seen leaving roost in wooden panels of Olifants shop and restaurant roof at dusk. A family of Thick-tailed Bushbabies also emerged from apex of shop roof.

A couple of Angola Free-tailed Bats were seen between in gaps in concrete of Leteba road bridge.

That's all the bats that I was able to identify. In all it was a fabulous trip to Kruger. Other highlights included two Servals, six Honey Badgers, multiple Leopards and a single Wild Dog. Earlier in the trip at another location we scored three Aardvarks, Black-footed Cat, Aardwolf and Caracal!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi There MikeR

Much thanks for the detailed sightings report and for confirmation of the single Sundevalls Leaf Nosed bat at Nkhulu. Do you have any photographs?

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:06 pm 

Yes, I took a photo. Would you like me to post it on here?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes please Mike

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm 

Here's the photo. It's not a very good one but I didn't want to disturb the bat.

I've also included one of the Epauletted Fruit Bats from Shukuza. I know they can't be identified from photos but do you have any idea what proportion of the Shukuza population are Wahlberg's? Are they mostly Wahlberg's with a few Peter's mixed in? Also, any idea on the species of the Olifants Epauletted Fruit Bats?

Kind regards

Mike

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi There Mike,

Thank you very much for your photographs!

With regards to the Fruit Bats, unfortunately we don't know the numbers for how much of the population is Walhbergs or Peters. If we were to source the research done on these bats at one stage, that would be unreliable as well as the bats were chased away with the chlorine tablets and thus more of one species could have moved in.

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

And unfortunately we do not know the ID of the Olifants Epualetted Fruity's, but that roost has been around for some time now, and it is the only known Fruit Bat roost from within Olifants rest Camp.

Stiffnecks Member